News:

Welcome to the new look Cook'd and Bomb'd

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Anyway, I've had a fantastic time watching episode one of An Unearthly Child tonight. And in case anyone thinks it's weird I only watch episode one of An Unearthly Child this time each year, I've also watched episode two of An Unearthly Child.

Alberon

I watched the first three episodes of Galaxy 4 (not because of the date, but because Mrs Alberon was out).

Pile of old toss really. Not exactly the best story of the 1st Doctor. Going from the larger scale of the animation to the surviving episode shot in a broom cupboard doesn't help either.

Replies From View

It's a shame, because I suspect the sales of Galaxy 4 will be used as a gauge of whether people want further William Hartnell stories animated.

JamesTC

I'm not sure there will be all that much difference over something like The Macra Terror or The Faceless Ones.

Besides, BBC America provide the majority of the funding so the success of any animation done under that model is predicated on them.

pigamus

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 23, 2021, 05:19:31 PMIt's Doctor Who Day, so Outpost Gallifrey's annual Top Three Tournament has once again reached its climax. Remember (as if anyone could forget) this is where a couple of hundred die-hard OG obsessives spend months voting their favourite three stories through interminable knockout rounds to finally discover which story is the best.

And the results are in!

6 Genesis of the Daleks 181pts
5 Human Nature 183pts
4 City of Death 185pts
3 Pyramids of Mars 198pts
2 The Parting of the Ways 205pts

Spoiler alert
1 The Curse of Fenric 227pts
[close]

Yeah, you read that right... the fickle finger of fandom huh.

Well that's made my day. Any particular reason why it won? Are they just bored of Caves of Androzani always winning?

JamesTC

Quote from: pigamus on November 24, 2021, 12:42:58 PMWell that's made my day. Any particular reason why it won? Are they just bored of Caves of Androzani always winning?

I assume through the way the knockout system worked, both it and The Parting of the Ways got lucky.

Norton Canes

Quote from: pigamus on November 24, 2021, 12:42:58 PMWell that's made my day. Any particular reason why it won? Are they just bored of Caves of Androzani always winning?

Short answer: yes.

In the first few years of the tournament it was the hoary old classics like Talons, The War Games and Inferno that always won. When Caves of Androzani came out on top in 2016 it was its fifth win in fifteen years. That seemed to mark a watershed as since then, it's rarerly even troubled the semi-finals. 

The last couple of years have seen concerted efforts to get victories for other well-regarded stories - last year The Robots of Death triumphed for the first time. This 'bandwagon' phenomenon has seen other odd victories, such as Kinda finishing joint top with The Empty Child in 2012. And over the last couple of years there's been a huge surge toward McCoy's stories, with only the fact that the vote is usually split between them preventing an earlier win. When Fenric found itself the lone McCoy in this year's final, a win was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Human Nature, The Day of the Doctor, Heaven Sent and World Enough and Time have all won in the first tournaments since their broadcast, which has been nice.

For next year I predict a big attempt to get a first victory for a Hartnell story.

Quote from: JamesTC on November 24, 2021, 01:13:57 PMI assume through the way the knockout system worked, both it and The Parting of the Ways got lucky.

Yeah, a lot of it's down to the luck of the (random) draw

pigamus

When I clicked the spoiler I thought it was going to be Blink!