Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

her?

Quote from: sutin on October 27, 2021, 01:08:56 PM
TBF that was one of the all time best episodes. There's been a few good ones recently (Bob Mortimer, The Parapod...) but that was an especially great one for the reasons you stated.

Adam & Joe today!

Adam & Joe! Amazing! Had no idea he'd had them on. Is this the first thing they've done together, aside from Adam's podcast, since the 6music days?

Icehaven

Quote from: sutin on October 27, 2021, 01:08:56 PM

Adam & Joe today!

Hooray!

Quote from: her? on October 27, 2021, 01:14:38 PM
Adam & Joe! Amazing! Had no idea he'd had them on. Is this the first thing they've done together, aside from Adam's podcast, since the 6music days?

IIRC He's mentioned a few times that they were supposed to be on last year just after lockdown started so it never happened then, and I think the video of it's been available to pay for for a few weeks/months so it finally happened a little while ago.

Dunno if they've done anything else together but there is /was a video of A&J chatting available on the NME website last year too.
Edit: this is it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5y6yY33LSo
(apparently Joe had done his back in, hence the strange angle and lack of movement. I thought he was doing another Radiohead video.)

frajer

Listened to the A&J ep this morning, thoroughly funny and lovely.

Loads of laughs but I absolutely lost my shit at Adam's impression of
Spoiler alert
Gillian Anderson's Margaret Thatcher in bed. "The lady IS for turning... ON."
[close]

Thosworth

Notable is the painful inevitability to the conclusion of the story arc that began during the Collings/Herrin podcasts where he repeatedly issued long tirades against comedians who relied on hack "My kids say the funniest things!" material.

Icehaven

I guess it was inevitable in an interview with A&J given the parallels but it's getting seriously tedious listening to Herring bang on about what a bastard Lee is. I haven't even listened to half his podcasts but he seems to mention it every time (although that might be because I tend to listen to the ones with 90s/2000s comedians so it's more likely to come up.) This is the first time I've heard the All Things Bright and Beautiful accusations but I'd bet folding money it isn't the first time he's mentioned it. Maybe I'm being unfair but as much as he tries to make it sound like he's being jokey about accusing others of plagiarising him it never quite sounds like he really is.

Thosworth

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2021, 05:10:19 PM
I guess it was inevitable in an interview with A&J given the parallels but it's getting seriously tedious listening to Herring bang on about what a bastard Lee is.

To be fair, having listened to everything, the angle is more often "What's it like being the unsuccessful half of a former double act/partnership?"

Andy147

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2021, 05:10:19 PM
This is the first time I've heard the All Things Bright and Beautiful accusations but I'd bet folding money it isn't the first time he's mentioned it.

There's a fair bit about Stewart Lee in this one of Herring's daily blogs, including a bit about All Things Bright and Beautiful. A lot of it is saying that Lee's skill is in taking someone else's throwaway idea and making it much better.

bgmnts

QuoteI am nothing if not self-serving, as Stewart Lee acknowledges in his book (of which more in a bit) - but then at least I am honest about it and don't wrap it up in pretending I care about some higher principle!

God it's all a bit catty and bitchy innit?

Is he being serious when he says he should get free accommodation because he does the Fringe?

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on November 03, 2021, 10:02:12 PM
Is he being serious when he says he should get free accommodation because he does the Fringe?

I should get free accommodation because I saw his play at the Fringe.

BeardFaceMan

Did Katherine Ryan give away the result of the upcoming Taskmaster Champion of Champions in the latest ep?

Virgo76

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 06, 2021, 02:48:21 PM
Did Katherine Ryan give away the result of the upcoming Taskmaster Champion of Champions in the latest ep?
Hmmm. Seems odd they didn't cut it out ìf so?

BeardFaceMan

You'd hope that they'd cut it out but it wasn't like she made an explicit reference to it or anything, just an off-hand comment so it would be easy to miss. Hopefully I'm just reading too much into it.

Twit 2

I enjoyed Paul Merton's Alexei Sayle impression.

Icehaven

I'm reading between the lines here but is it possible that Kathryn Ryan might possibly have been to the Playboy mansion?

olliebean

Quote from: icehaven on November 10, 2021, 10:58:06 AM
I'm reading between the lines here but is it possible that Kathryn Ryan might possibly have been to the Playboy mansion?

Wouldn't be surprised. Didn't she do a TV series visiting rich people's houses or something?

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on November 10, 2021, 11:51:10 AM
Wouldn't be surprised. Didn't she do a TV series visiting rich people's houses or something?

I was being a bit sarky as she mentions going there several times during the podcast, whether it's relevant to what they're talking about or not. Odd thing to keep bringing up but she seemed determined to do so.

beanheadmcginty

She mentions it in every single interview I've ever seen of hers.

BeardFaceMan

I do love it when there's a guest on that will cut through Rich's bullshit. The latest one with Dave Gorman has Rich talking about trying to come up with a pen name because he didn't think he would get taken seriously as a writer because he's a comedian, and Dave spluttering "Who the fuck do you think you are?" and then bursting out laughing was a joy.

tinglingoxbow

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 19, 2021, 10:06:50 AMI do love it when there's a guest on that will cut through Rich's bullshit. The latest one with Dave Gorman has Rich talking about trying to come up with a pen name because he didn't think he would get taken seriously as a writer because he's a comedian, and Dave spluttering "Who the fuck do you think you are?" and then bursting out laughing was a joy.

I love Richard's weird train of thought where him being anonymous would make it more likely for him to get a book published, not less.

frajer

Laughed a lot at Gorman being a sub-par egg in his child's playtime.

MojoJojo

Quote from: tinglingoxbow on November 19, 2021, 01:56:56 PMI love Richard's weird train of thought where him being anonymous would make it more likely for him to get a book published, not less.

Someone would have to explain to him that if he wants to be anonymous, he can just use all the same anecdotes that he normally does.

Mobbd

Quote from: tinglingoxbow on November 19, 2021, 01:56:56 PMI love Richard's weird train of thought where him being anonymous would make it more likely for him to get a book published, not less.

Quote from: frajer on November 19, 2021, 02:05:19 PMLaughed a lot at Gorman being a sub-par egg in his child's playtime.

I liked the dinosaur egg moment too, but I found this episode one of the most boring RHLSTPs ever. All that fucking crossword chat for starters. I don't suppose crossword chat *has* to be boring but there was no special insight or comedy here. It was fucking dull for absolutely ages.

I have always had a soft spot for Dave Gorman even though he's not popular on this forum. I saw Googlewhack Adventure when it was at the big university lecture theatre on George Square during the Fringe (2002 maybe?) and really enjoyed it. I was a mere teenager though and have wondered if and how I might see his stuff again for reassessment in the cold light of adulthood.

It's early days on that front but his RHLSTP this week made him look quite disingenuous and phony. All that stuff about not being famous (re: the news coverage of his move to Bournemouth and its subsequent high ranking on the BBC news site, people not recognising him on the street, etc) was either delusional, faux-humble, or a nauseating weaponised humblebrag.

His stock is not as high as it once was but he was hugely popular among my non-comedy-obsessed friends when I was a student in the early '00s. He and Matt Lucas would prop up Herring's shows around the same time by writing testimonial-type content in his show programmes. Michael Legge often does a bit where he mentions looking like Dave Gorman, which the audience all seem to understand and recognise. This very podcast episode told us that Dave picked up crossword work in national newspapers simply because of who follows him on Twitter AND that he turns down TV work when it doesn't look creatively rewarding - which he surely knows are privileges of ludicrous proportions.

So I don't see how he doesn't see himself as a successful/known/overground comedian. Not sure is this is genuine cognitive dissonance or self-aggrandising twattery. I suspect the latter. Is this why CaB folks don't like him?

olliebean

Compiling crosswords is Gorman's job now, isn't it? It's all he ever seems to post about on twitter, at any rate.

madhair60

I don't mind Dave Gorman but I thought that film he did, Psycho Gorman, was a bit off-brand

Icehaven

Gorman is  still using PowerPoint in his shows?!

And bloody hell I know Herring has to eat but the relentless plugging of his tedious emergency questions books is increasingly dire. At one point he mentioned the audiobook version which is him and some other wretch doing 'would you rather' questions for four hours, and I felt I'd glimpsed hell.

Pink Gregory

Surely the point of Emergency Questions is as a sort of party piece, where you read them out to serve the same purpose as they so in the podcast?

Listening to a list of questions and silently chuckling to oneself at the possibilities seems like disturbed behaviour.

Sonny_Jim

Watched a bit of TMWRNJ for the first time in a while yesterday and came to the conclusion that the opening title sequence was laying out what the future held for both of them:

Rich is constantly behind, late, misses the bus, never catches a break and he smells.

Lee is nice and smug, managing to coast along and have things just work out for him, then at the end he's transformed into a beautiful lady, whilst Rich is the same as he ever was.

*OK maybe it doesn't work as an analogy, but I was nice and stoned, eating a yoghurt so everything seemed to be really profound, maaan

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: icehaven on November 20, 2021, 02:24:47 AMGorman is  still using PowerPoint in his shows?!

And bloody hell I know Herring has to eat but the relentless plugging of his tedious emergency questions books is increasingly dire. At one point he mentioned the audiobook version which is him and some other wretch doing 'would you rather' questions for four hours, and I felt I'd glimpsed hell.

I discovered this week that the "Would You Rather?" book is different from the emergency questions book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richard-Herrings-Would-You-Rather/dp/0751585718 - the absolute gall of the man to chuck out shit like this astonishes me sometimes.

beanheadmcginty

Surely Scott Aukerman could sue him at this point? Fair enough copying someone's idea for a laugh, but once you've started making money from it then it's a step too far. Especially as the execution is so much worse.