Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:42:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boycie In Belgrade

Started by TheMonk, June 26, 2020, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonkers

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 26, 2020, 06:52:24 PM
Hats off to him for milking that character for all its worth. Chaliss missed a trick by not writing two autobiographies, one called I Am Not Boycie and the other I Am Boycie.

I am maybe missing the joke but he actually did write two autobiographies, Being Boycie and Boycie & Beyond.

JamesTC

Now just needs to write one called Being Beyond Boycie.

PlanktonSideburns

Beyond the ThunderBoycie

Captain Z

Being Beyond Boycie: Bigger than Beyonce

Jittlebags

I'm Marleening on a lamppost...

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Shaky on June 27, 2020, 07:35:21 AM
I follow Boychallis on Twitter and it's an amusingly bleak affair. Most of his comments are either Partridge-esque, banal remarks about everyday life or seemingly random retweets. Fucker's got over 100k of followers, somehow.

The fact him and Ice-T became good friends on Twitter is absolutely bizarre.

peanutbutter

Boycie only charging 60 per message on CelebVM (he doesnt seem to be on Cameo?), figured he'd be charging more

Is there a thread in looking at old comedy actors on cameo?

Quote from: stonkers on July 08, 2021, 10:59:12 PM
I am maybe missing the joke but he actually did write two autobiographies, Being Boycie and Boycie & Beyond.

I think Brundle-Fly was making a joke about the two autobiographies Leonard Nimoy wrote, 'I Am Not Spock', and 'I Am Spock'.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 09, 2021, 12:26:21 PM
Boycie only charging 60 per message on CelebVM (he doesnt seem to be on Cameo?), figured he'd be charging more...

That's exactly the kind of price point that does well to get a very nice revenue stream.

With this kind of service, it's often pointed out that the people who are earning good money are often charging affordable amounts and often, not big names but the type of celebrity that us normal folk seem to have more fondness for.

Going from memory, but Cameo said that last year (I think) Brian Baumgartner was the biggest earner with over $1million in one year..

Earlier this year, there was an article about how well James Buckley has done on Cameo, suggesting that him making £300,000 from the service is a conservative figure - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/feb/27/the-inbetweeners-james-buckley-becomes-the-unlikely-king-of-cameo. To put that in context, often a new story will describe a celeb that have made between $100k-150k as a 'top earner'.

Challis has talked about doing these voice messages and said it's been a godsend because the pandemic has meant that a lot of the work he would be doing (e.g. a pantomime) wasn't able to happen.

Glebe

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 09, 2021, 01:48:22 PMChallis has talked about doing these voice messages and said it's been a godsend because the pandemic has meant that a lot of the work he would be doing (e.g. a pantomime) wasn't able to happen.

Think of all those Captain Hook performances Blackpool has missed!

jenna appleseed

inexplicable / ridiculously Woman's Own were giving away copies of being boycie on dvd last month
https://comps.womansownmagazine.co.uk/competition/BoycieinBelgradeonDVDnetwork_network.php

Either comp sites are getting desperate for prizes or he has a really good pr team.

pr blurb:

"Pack your bags Marlene we're only off to Belgrade...When Only Fools and Horses' very own wheeler car dealer Boycie aka John Challis learns that the classic British sitcom is massive in Serbia, he puts on his Burton suit and takes a trip to Belgrade to find out why, in bonkers documentary travelogue Boycie In Belgrade, which arrive on DVD and digital on 14th June and we have 10 copies up for grabs.

One half of the show's favourite 'classy' couple that saw Boycie married to forthright Marlene – played by Sue Holderness, who recently returned to the small screen in another London fave Eastenders, the brilliant John Challis takes a jovial journey to Belgrade to investigate the popularity of one of Britain's best loved sitcoms.

He takes us on a tour of the city, as he looks to uncover why Only Fools and Horses is so popular in Serbia. From a royal palace, to a brandy distillery, via the obligatory car dealership, and even a turn in a Serbian TV sitcom, he gets the cushty red carpet treatment from admirers and fanatics alike.

This entertaining road-trip with sitcom favourite is a must watch for any fan of Only Fools and Horses, you'd be a plonker to miss it."

(wonder if he had to get BBC permission to do stuff like this & in character Cameo messages / pay to use the name or he somehow owns the rights to the name & character?)

St_Eddie

thr0b

I dunno. I quite like that there are a fair few comedy actors who are happy to lean into their biggest roles as a kind of post-big-career victory lap.

http://helgagruberflick.com/

(Though if we accept it as canon, we also have to accept that Flick's plastic surgery fell off.)

petril

QuoteOne half of the show's favourite 'classy' couple that saw Boycie married to forthright Marlene – played by Sue Holderness, who recently returned to the small screen in another London fave Eastenders

in case anyone needed help working out the stakes involved here

millwall32

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 29, 2020, 10:12:21 PM
There were a couple of clips - the first shows Challis being interviewed and the second after the host has been rushed away for medical attention and Challis been left just sitting there... then when the house band start playing the OFAH theme song, Challis gets up and a little awkwardly, begins to dance. As I say, a pro!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1wDw6Cc0wE

Malcy

Just noticed that this is on Prime Video. Will give it a watch later.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on November 05, 2021, 09:05:09 AM
Just noticed that this is on Prime Video. Will give it a watch later.

Cheers, just had it on in the background. Honestly it isn't as big in Belgrade as I thought it was.