Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:45:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is worth the $5 a month just for the bonus bits in the last 10 minutes. But be warned...fucking hell!!

Quote from: non capisco on October 29, 2021, 10:34:45 PM
Just started watching the TOTP episode and it will break my heart if they coat down
Spoiler alert
'Calling Occupants...'
[close]
. I've become a bit obsessed with that song over the last few months since Todd In The Shadows did a video on its parent album.

Christ, there's a Peter Powell reaction after the first song so off-the-scale naff they could probably get six hours out of that alone.

I think that spoiler track is classed as a guilty pleasure, at least by Taylor. To me, it's clearly where the act jumps the shark (and that's the overall context in which they discuss it) but that's also a symptom of the fact that an act that clearly belongs in the early 70s has to do a totally incongruous cover to remain relevant post-Star Wars (I'd also say that this track, and various others with a space theme in 1977-78, shows how Star Wars was just as much a decade divider as punk was in the 70s or Live Aid in the 80s).

I'd like them to have discussed the singer's voice which is either gorgeous or just way too sickly smooth (or maybe both).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

What was Taylor's
Spoiler alert
pissing on the Queen
[close]
bit all about? I didn't really get the point. Was it just a bit of meaningless 'dark' whimsy, or did it have an objective beyond that?

Don't get me wrong, I in no way object to
Spoiler alert
the image of Taylor Parkes urinating wildly on HRM's fizzog
[close]
, but I'm just wondering if I missed something.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 30, 2021, 11:32:26 AM
This is worth the $5 a month just for the bonus bits in the last 10 minutes. But be warned...fucking hell!!

Spoiler alert
"Do you think when Bruce came, he leapt in the air and went 'Oi!'?"
[close]

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 30, 2021, 09:23:46 PM
What was Taylor's
Spoiler alert
pissing on the Queen
[close]
bit all about? I didn't really get the point. Was it just a bit of meaningless 'dark' whimsy, or did it have an objective beyond that?

Don't get me wrong, I in no way object to
Spoiler alert
the image of Taylor Parkes urinating wildly on HRM's fizzog
[close]
, but I'm just wondering if I missed something.

He seemed to be saying that you can't share stories with your mates anymore because they never believe you, and using that as a surreal example.

I got that, but it wasn't particularly funny. And I say that as someone who usually finds Taylor hilarious. Oh well.

Here's the Punch documentary they discussed towards the end of the latest episode. A riveting study of "it's a shit business" Wheeltappers and Shunters misery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DxLtuK3pD4

Those men were all in their late twenties and early thirties. Jesus Christ. I hope they went on to have happy and fulfilling lives.

non capisco

^ I watched all the existing 1970s ones off that link over about two weeks in the winter of 2019, just before everything went wrong. It was a kind of bliss but I nearly started seeing a negative image of the video for David Soul's 'Silver Lady' when I closed my eyes at night. (It took Bryan Adams this year to break my unyielding, self-flagellating rule never to skip a repeat performance or video).

shiftwork2

Christmas 1972 Top Of The Pops may now (recently) be on YouTube but I didn't know, did I?  One of the cultural artefacts I had one day hoped to track down...and now I have.  It's a fucking joy.  A FUCKING JOY.  The two presenting cunt-berks simmer with even more awkward resentment than they did in xmas '73.  A glam-heavy round-up of course and well represented by all your faves, including a nuts rendition of Crazy Horses by Osmond.  Some All Gold easy listening for your nan and a jaw-dropping turn by Rolf Harris who almost exhibits the arsey capricious meltdown he later betrayed during the whatever it was involving the Queen.

Aside from lack of availability I can now kind of see why they may have steered clear so far as it has a LOT of overlap with xmas '73 but now it's available, I hope it's in with a shout for this year's xmas CMP.  Because that would be very heaven.

famethrowa

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 31, 2021, 04:37:39 AM
I got that, but it wasn't particularly funny. And I say that as someone who usually finds Taylor hilarious. Oh well.

I assumed it was just TP using his natural voice talent to carry on the legacy of Derek & Clive?

non capisco

I did really like Taylor's mock-indignant "Why isn't there a Bionic Man?!" after the brief Bionic Woman tangent.

non capisco

Just got to the
Spoiler alert
Bruce Foxton erotic fiction
[close]
at the very end. Spectacular.

NattyDread 2

Here's you lot with a new episode and they've still not put the rest of #61 up on their page. I want to hear the Super Furries chat.
I've been listening to an older David and Taylor episode in the car and have only just noticed how much David says "you know" in an average sentence. Can't tune it out now. Still, great craic though and looking forward to the new one.

boki

Quote from: non capisco on November 01, 2021, 10:45:28 PM
I did really like Taylor's mock-indignant "Why isn't there a Bionic Man?!" after the brief Bionic Woman tangent.
Might've actually said "November 19" out loud when I got to that bit.  Good job I was alone in the kitchen wancooking.

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on November 02, 2021, 02:06:28 PM
I've been listening to an older David and Taylor episode in the car and have only just noticed how much David says "you know" in an average sentence. Can't tune it out now.
David and Neil both have vocal tics that drive me up the wall, although in a sense Neil has reeled it in a bit lately to a certain extent.

non capisco

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on November 02, 2021, 02:06:28 PM
I've been listening to an older David and Taylor episode in the car and have only just noticed how much David says "you know" in an average sentence. Can't tune it out now.

If you took a shot every time Taylor says "Know what I mean?" or David says "etc., etc." you'd be dead before the end of the preamble. Not that any of the CM gang's verbal tics bother me in the slightest. I sacked off a different music podcast recently because one of the hosts kept misusing the word "beguiling" every week thinking it meant something like "baffling". That's the type of stuff that makes me think "What am I listening to you for, mate?". 

gilbertharding

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on November 02, 2021, 04:23:19 PM
David and Neil both have vocal tics that drive me up the wall, although in a sense Neil has reeled it in a bit lately to a certain extent.

Once you're cognisant of it, it's hard not to be cognisant of it.

Brundle-Fly

They're only human and not experienced broadcasters. That's how people generally talk, know what I mean and that? I like the intimate spontaneous pub vibe of their chat.

Also they're expected to talk for six fucking hours, although some of that is Al doing the news, telly, music papers and links (which can include descriptions of the acts if they've not been on before). Must still work out at around each contributor talking for at least two hours about 8-10 records after the trio spending an hour on general chat. It would stretch most people's verbal skills.

Taylor has said he worries about finding new things to say about acts who have been on before.

non capisco

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 03, 2021, 12:19:23 AM
Taylor has said he worries about finding new things to say about acts who have been on before.

I like the way he said that about Showaddywaddy this episode then immediately played an absolute blinder with the Dave Bartram book review.

dr beat

It almost seemed like they were testing themselves by finding an episode with so many already well-covered acts, but even if it was they succeeded. 
Spoiler alert
Showaddywaddy
[close]
the highlight.

I laughed at Al's fleeting nod to the Sikh lad from Showaddywaddy, a reference which is now so ingrained within CMP mythology it's accepted as a matter of course.

non capisco

Quote from: dr beat on November 03, 2021, 12:47:47 AM
It almost seemed like they were testing themselves by finding an episode with so many already well-covered acts, but even if it was they succeeded. 
Spoiler alert
Showaddywaddy
[close]
the highlight.

Al mentioned how they've always managed to sieve new gold out of the fathomless stream that is Comrade Shaky, which made me think....they've not even covered 'A Little Boogie Woogie' yet!

(Or Joy Sarney, who got not one but two mentions this episode)

Rizla

Solid gold episode, totally flew by. I even rather enjoyed the REDS addendum. Well, why not.

Noticed an episode of Pub Entertainer of the Year, hosted by Frank Carson, was part of that night's scheduled viewing. My dad was in a band[nb]Called Caliban, their singer was a lady with a glass eye[/nb] at that time that ploughed a very similar furrow to that ploughed by the lads from Punch, playing miner's welfare clubs the length and breadth of the central belt, and the height of their career was an appearance on that show, if not that evening then at some point that year.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 02, 2021, 07:00:38 PM
They're only human and not experienced broadcasters. That's how people generally talk, know what I mean and that? I like the intimate spontaneous pub vibe of their chat.

Don't get me wrong. They're great.

Please can someone help me out with David Stubbs' Jam/Estate Agent joke?

boki

Quote from: non capisco on November 03, 2021, 12:57:52 AM
Al mentioned how they've always managed to sieve new gold out of the fathomless stream that is Comrade Shaky, which made me think....they've not even covered 'A Little Boogie Woogie' yet!
That one's definitely stashed for a rainy day.  At first I though they might swerve it because of it's author, but then I remembered that they have covered the paeder of the gang previously.

Rizla

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 03, 2021, 11:54:14 AM
Don't get me wrong. They're great.

Please can someone help me out with David Stubbs' Jam/Estate Agent joke?
Took me a minute too, but there exists an estate agent called Foxton's.