Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:58:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Dolan -  ultra-beloved Irish crooner, our biggest solo act for years, in  a Jones/Humperdinck/Wayne Newton mould, ex-showband (his big hit Good Looking Woman seems to have been rediscovered by the not-Irish - turns up in Cruella)
But his 1977 TOTP appearance with I Need You is very much Shakin' Roussos (he basically looks like Matt Berry channelling 70s Robert de Niro or a cross between Berry and Peter Boyle)

Iris Williams - Welsh Jazz singer, Shakin' Bassey, had a singular TOTP with He was Beautiful, Cleo Laine's lyrics version of La Cavatina (theme from the Deer Hunter). Parodied in Britannia Hospital as 'He Was Wonderful'.

The Chanter Sisters - regular session singers who appeared on TOTP with Sideshow - one of those songs that had its chances of being a hit sunk by the TOTP Orchestra.

prelektric

Quote from: George White on May 21, 2022, 01:15:10 PMSo
But his 1977 TOTP appearance with I Need You is very much Shakin' Roussos (he basically looks like Matt Berry channelling 70s Robert de Niro or a cross between Berry and Peter Boyle)

Iris Williams - Welsh Jazz singer, Shakin' Bassey, had a singular TOTP with He was Beautiful, Cleo Laine's lyrics version of La Cavatina (theme from the Deer Hunter). Parodied in Britannia Hospital as 'He Was Wonderful'.

I need to see both of these things. Right now. Out and about at the minute but by crikey, I'll be checking those out when I get home

Brundle-Fly

I can't remember, but I don't think they've ever discussed TOTP appearances by some of my 70s/80s yoof era fave singles: The Charlie Daniels Band, Motörhead, Rainbow, Alessi Bros, Lene Lovich, Squeeze, Bad Manners, New Musik, The Exploited, The Lambrettas, Landscape, Japan, Coast To Coast, The Selector, The Look, Sugarhill Gang, Matt Bianco, Belle Stars etc...surely they've covered 10cc by now?

non capisco

They did 'Rubber Bullets' in one of the earlier ones, Al in particular going nuts for it IIRC.

You've reminded me I really want to hear them talk about Do The Hucklebuck by Coast To Coast (non capsico mentions Do The Hucklebuck by Coast To Coast).

prelektric

Quote from: non capisco on May 21, 2022, 08:23:20 PMThey did 'Rubber Bullets' in one of the earlier ones, Al in particular going nuts for it IIRC.

You've reminded me I really want to hear them talk about Do The Hucklebuck by Coast To Coast (non capsico mentions Do The Hucklebuck by Coast To Coast).

A little bit of Twist a little bit of this
And if you don't know how to do it ask my little sis

I've got your number, pal.

Though something tells me you might have been confronted before regarding this track...

(Nah, just kidding, loved that choon when I was a kid - proper "Mam listening to the radio whilst doing ironing and shaking her ass, and me and my brother sat on the floor mucking about with plasticine/lego/other toy like moment)

non capisco

It's their strange frontman (that didn't actually sing on the record) I got a bit obsessed by. As I've said on here before ad nauseum he looks like a young, concussed Swiss Toni.

Quote from: non capisco on May 21, 2022, 08:38:54 PMIt's their strange frontman (that didn't actually sing on the record) I got a bit obsessed by. As I've said on here before ad nauseum he looks like a young, concussed Swiss Toni.

What! This is a new wrinkle in the Coast To Coast story for me, if that bloke wasn't the actual singer, who the fuck was he??

Das Reboot

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 21, 2022, 07:50:02 PMI can't remember, but I don't think they've ever discussed TOTP appearances by some of my 70s/80s yoof era fave singles: The Charlie Daniels Band, Motörhead, Rainbow, Alessi Bros, Lene Lovich, Squeeze, Bad Manners, New Musik, The Exploited, The Lambrettas, Landscape, Japan, Coast To Coast, The Selector, The Look, Sugarhill Gang, Matt Bianco, Belle Stars etc...surely they've covered 10cc by now?

Fuck yes, would like to hear them cover Squeeze.

DrGreggles

Charlie Daniels Band were covered weren't they?
A 1979ish ep.

letsgobrian

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 21, 2022, 11:16:48 PMCharlie Daniels Band were covered weren't they?
A 1979ish ep.

Episode 36 is the one.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: letsgobrian on May 21, 2022, 11:40:09 PMEpisode 36 is the one.

Right! Back into the CMP pods*

Thanks.

*accompanied by some fearsome Satanic fiddle work.

famethrowa

I don't think we've had the late 90s miserablists yet?

Radiohead
Coldplay
Travis etc etc

(could make some kind of "Dave Lee & Travis" joke)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on May 21, 2022, 09:39:33 PMWhat! This is a new wrinkle in the Coast To Coast story for me, if that bloke wasn't the actual singer, who the fuck was he??

Original was Alan Mills, terrified weirdo on TOTP was Sandy Fontaine. Both now dead.

George White

Sandy Fontane later reverted to his real name, Alex Giannini and became an actor.
He playsd the thinly disguised Berlusconi stand in in London has Fallen.
If they do mention the Hucklebuck, please have them also mention the 60s Irish mega-hit for Brendan Bowyer and the Royal Showband which Coast to Coast seem to be mimicking. Shakin' Showband.

Alessi I can no longer see without thinking of Bob Fischer on twitter's comparison that they almost resemble a Chris Gaines/Dukes of Stratsophear-type secret identity for Sparks.

Utter Shit

Very late to the party, but I've just started listening to this after going through a nostalgic phase for the 90s when I was a little kid. It's so nice to hear people who (while obviously having a cynical side) are genuine pop fans who don't sneer at things purely because they are mainstream.

I absolutely loved East 17 as a kid, but over time I've come to accept through sheer weight of public opinion that I was objectively wrong even if I think the music still largely stands up today, and the more ludicrous bits (the rapping, basically) get a pass for the joy they brought me at the time. I just had to accept that regardless of how much I enjoyed them, they must have been rubbish.

Episode 33 went to bat for them both in terms of their music and - Sarah Bee in particular - for Brian Harvey as a person with serious mental struggles that are just ignored because of his persona. I really wasn't expecting it, and it hit me really hard. Not just because it was genuine, heartfelt support of someone who doesn't get any, but because it validated opinions I had that I'd learned over the years to consider invalid.

I don't think I'd have found this podcast if it wasn't for regularly noticing this thread, so cheers everyone because it's been a little pick me up at a bit of a tough time mentally for me. I'm looking forward to going back through the 100-odd pages of discussion across two superthreads.

And East 17's Up All Night is a great pop album. An opinion that I'm not sure is popular even among East 17 fans. It's GREAT.

gilbertharding

That's nice, @Utter Shit .

But be warned: if you happen to have any sympathetic feelings towards BA Robertson, Toyah or David van Day, please do not listen to any further episodes.

Reg Tits

The CMP people should MC Rebellion Festival 4 Aug - 7 Aug. Just look at these bands https://www.rebellionfestivals.com/line-up

Please note nobody under the age of 50 will be allowed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70k5_COqRA

dr beat

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 31, 2022, 08:48:08 AMVery late to the party, but I've just started listening to this after going through a nostalgic phase for the 90s when I was a little kid. It's so nice to hear people who (while obviously having a cynical side) are genuine pop fans who don't sneer at things purely because they are mainstream.

I absolutely loved East 17 as a kid, but over time I've come to accept through sheer weight of public opinion that I was objectively wrong even if I think the music still largely stands up today, and the more ludicrous bits (the rapping, basically) get a pass for the joy they brought me at the time. I just had to accept that regardless of how much I enjoyed them, they must have been rubbish.

Episode 33 went to bat for them both in terms of their music and - Sarah Bee in particular - for Brian Harvey as a person with serious mental struggles that are just ignored because of his persona. I really wasn't expecting it, and it hit me really hard. Not just because it was genuine, heartfelt support of someone who doesn't get any, but because it validated opinions I had that I'd learned over the years to consider invalid.

I don't think I'd have found this podcast if it wasn't for regularly noticing this thread, so cheers everyone because it's been a little pick me up at a bit of a tough time mentally for me. I'm looking forward to going back through the 100-odd pages of discussion across two superthreads.

And East 17's Up All Night is a great pop album. An opinion that I'm not sure is popular even among East 17 fans. It's GREAT.

Welcome aboard! :) I think its fair to say CMP has been a huge tonic to many of us, particularly during the depths of lockdown.

Brundle-Fly

Their warm appraisal of Toast by Streetband vindicated the twelve year old me in October 1978 who had the piss taken out of him by the whole class for declaring that he preferred it over Rat Trap by The Boomtown Rats (which I did also like too).

dr beat

Al has just posted on Facebook that he is spending 'Posh Old Woman Easter' editing the next episode.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Reg Tits on May 31, 2022, 10:17:02 AMPlease note nobody under the age of 50 will be allowed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70k5_COqRA

The audience looks like a plate of baked beans from above.

Quote from: dr beat on June 02, 2022, 02:10:35 PMAl has just posted on Facebook that he is spending 'Posh Old Woman Easter' editing the next episode.

I initially read that as 'Eater'. Queenilingus.

Crabwalk

Neil's going to be the guest on the next 'Back to Now' episode, dropping at the weekend. He's covering Now 35 from '96 so I suspect the tone of this episode might differ slightly from the norm. Can't wait.

non capisco

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 08, 2022, 04:33:29 PMNeil's going to be the guest on the next 'Back to Now' episode, dropping at the weekend. He's covering Now 35 from '96 so I suspect the tone of this episode might differ slightly from the norm. Can't wait.

Ah nice, was wondering if one of the CMP crew would pop up on that. Really enjoy that podcast

boki

Hope he doubles down on the Rick Witter, keck wetter anecdote.

studpuppet

Thirtieth anniversary of this touchstone today...

daf

bigfatheart

The Bates signal is in the sky!

Spoiler alert
March 15th 1990
[close]

non capisco

New episode with Taylor P and the much missed Bee!