Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

WREXHAM THREAD

Started by Blue Jam, August 19, 2020, 08:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: boki on August 19, 2020, 09:53:37 PM
They've got their own lager it can't be that bad mate

The lager is pretty tasty in fairness. The Parish Church (St Giles) is beautiful, and I really liked the library/art gallery.

But echoing Uncle TechTip, even on foot you never seemed to be far away from a rough area. It's number 1 for the times I've been assaulted or menaced, and I've lived in Leicester! Hopefully it's changed since I was there, or is about to.

How about a bit of sympathy for my dad. He grew up (in poverty apparently) around Wrexham before leaving when he was twenty and spending the rest of his life in fucking Wolverhampton.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on August 19, 2020, 09:27:01 PM
Can you imagine living there though? Retiring, maybe.

I meant north wales is shit and mysterious, rather than Brecon though. Brecon is picturesque but dull.

ill give ye that

though im just about to move to a few towns down from brecon (didnt fancy being in newport if it was lockdown again)
and on the first night there was a fight outside my front door

idunnosomename

ahhh

the church on the hill is really cool tho and the custodians were nice

easytarget

Wrexham? I hardly know ham!

PowerButchi

FOR THE RECORD - Josies Chippy in Rhosymedre is the best In the country for me, Clive.

buttgammon

I've been looking at that local history website that I ridiculed yesterday and found a picture of my grandfather as a gloomy-looking young lad on there, so my family are now perilously close to this website. He's been dead for many years but I still don't want him going anywhere near my post history!

wooders1978

Trip advisor has sent me an email with the frankly intimidating title "Wrexham"

I darent open the fucker

Norton Canes

Let's talk about Wroxham

Marner and Me

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 19, 2020, 09:14:59 PM
Fuck Chester and everyone from it and especially the supporters of their football team.

Buckley is about 7 or 8 miles away from Wrexham. I assume you've been the Tiv?
10 years and counting x

idunnosomename

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 20, 2020, 09:27:38 PM
Let's talk about Wroxham
I Wrexham and Wroxham, I'm Popeye the Sailor Man

Hand Solo

Drove through Wrexham once, it was like the boat ride tunnel bit in Willy Wonka but with less rhyme (nor reason).

TrenterPercenter

I used to work with guy who was from Wrexham.

He described it as the "arsehole of England".

That's all I've got.

Blue Jam

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 20, 2020, 10:50:08 PM
Footballers' Wives

Had to go there on a stag not too long ago it was incredibly shit, and I lived for 4 years in  Bournemouth.

Annie Labuntur

Does anyone in Chester pronounce this pub the way it's written?

The Mollusk

Quote from: boki on August 19, 2020, 09:53:37 PM
They've got their own lager it can't be that bad mate

Yeah but what does it do to people who drink it? That's right. Wrecks 'em.

Marner and Me

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 20, 2020, 11:15:28 PM
Does anyone in Chester pronounce this pub the way it's written?

Marl-brough it is known as. Cracking little pub tbf

Annie Labuntur

Yes, I'm pretty sure I had some decent grub there too. But why is it spelt like that?

Marner and Me

Fuck knows, don't own it :p Serves food in there? I'd be surprised if it does. Never known it too.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 19, 2020, 10:49:49 PM
The lager is pretty tasty in fairness.

I remember the original Wrexham Lager back when it was advertised as "The ONLY Welsh Lager" (though thanks to the whole craft beer revolution that's no longer the case) and brewed at a pretty big brewery opposite the fire station, which then closed down and was for sale for ages.

The original Wrexham Lager was like piss, I understand the new crafty microbrewed WXM Lager is much stronger and much nicer than this stuff was:

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/how-much-would-pay-antique-14716003.amp

QuoteA Wrexham Lager can thought to be almost 30 years old has been found in a loft in Wrexham.

Kevin Davies was freeing up some space in his house in Ruabon when he discovered the historic light blue beer can in his attic.

With an expiry date in 1991 and an alcohol percentage of 3.4, the can is believed to have been lying in the loft since at least the early 1990s.

The 23-year-old, who moved into the house 12 months ago, said he was "buzzing" to have come across the can, which is even older than him.

Desolation.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Marner and Me on August 20, 2020, 11:36:53 PM
Fuck knows, don't own it :p

Found something on the internet that says it was a mistake by the original signwriter that stuck.

QuoteServes food in there? I'd be surprised if it does. Never known it too.

This would be going back to the 90s when I was a teenage pisshead so maybe it did then, or maybe I'm getting mixed up with The Snooty Fox or something nearby. It was mostly just vomit fields in them days.

hummingofevil

Another Wrexhamite here (though lived in Toon for years now as moved for love).

Current Wrexham lowlights are my two 90+ grandparents and dad have the Covid. That is a joy. Tory MP Sarah Atherton is an absolute shit of a human being and yes the town centre has been slowly dying on it's arse for years.

Highlights is that it has always been a laugh and the people are almost always a great bunch of laughs. As mentioned previously there are more than enough decent pubs and restaurants in town if you want a civilised night out but I have always had a soft spot for rough as fuck The Old Vaults and the Cambrian (well before it got shut down after someone got their throat slit in the toilets to death - but it turns out that was some family grudge so I wouldn't worry - and it's open again now isn't it). Last time I was in the Vaults I ended up chatting to some Portuguese locals dressed as superheroes doing karoke. It's that type of place. Never a dull night.

It's also surrounded by amazing places. The broader North East Wales area has loads of lush things to do and Erddig on the edge of town is a National Trust gem and even Acton Park is a beautiful spot for a local park.

Oh and being a Wrexham football fan has to be one of the most frustrating things in all of football. Trapped for eternity in non-league purgatory.

Also, one of the best accents on this island of accents.

hummingofevil

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 20, 2020, 06:42:19 PM
FOR THE RECORD - Josies Chippy in Rhosymedre is the best In the country for me, Clive.

I've a soft spot for a couple of chippies along the west coast (there is one in Aberystwyth that served chips that made me cry with joy) but Borras is up there too.

bgmnts

The Wrecsam and Chester football rivalry is really stunning.

There is a video of the lad who films himself going to the games who wears a weird Spitfire pilot hat and calls everyone captain. Its a game at home against Chester and there is a minute's silence for the victims of that mining accident. Halfway through, a dozen Chester fans start chanting "Scotty's in a box" and it all kicks off.

Pure hatred.

buttgammon

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 21, 2020, 12:37:12 AM
I've a soft spot for a couple of chippies along the west coast (there is one in Aberystwyth that served chips that made me cry with joy) but Borras is up there too.

Yes - best in Wrexham for sure! I know what you mean about the West Coast ones too, especially those little out of the way ones that serve pickled eggs and the like.

Neville Chamberlain

Judging by this thread, Wrexham sounds like the town Yeovil could have been.

robhug

Quote from: bgmnts on August 21, 2020, 01:16:46 AM

There is a video of the lad who films himself going to the games who wears a weird Spitfire pilot hat and calls everyone captain. Its a game at home against Chester and there is a minute's silence for the victims of that mining accident. Halfway through, a dozen Chester fans start chanting "Scotty's in a box" and it all kicks off.

Pure hatred.

I work not too far away from Chester. I remember a Chester City football fan coming in to the office not long after the minutes silence for the Aberfan disaster a few years ago and gleefully telling a story about how him and other Chester City fans had mimicked noises of earthquakes, presumably during the minutes silence.

Its always nagged at me, what sort of noise does one make when trying to convey an earthquake? Does it sound different to a mudslide?

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on August 21, 2020, 01:16:46 AM

Pure hatred.

I was at ysgol with this lovely chap:

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/15946129.wrexham-fan-handed-football-ban-after-steward-assault/

All I can say is that I'm really not surprised at how he's turned out.

Quotea banner was unveiled by Wrexham supporters reading: "Two Dead Fans and One Dead Club".

Do Wrexham and Chester fans keep a dossier of the names of rival fans who have died in tragic accidents or something?

Being from a Liverpool-supporting household I have only been to The Racecourse once myself, for the Joey Jones testimonial in 1993. The match was kicked off by a celebrity guest, Wolf from Gladiators, standing on the centre spot and kicking the ball into the air.

Hand Solo

Quote from: robhug on August 21, 2020, 10:21:37 AM
I work not too far away from Chester. I remember a Chester City football fan coming in to the office not long after the minutes silence for the Aberfan disaster a few years ago and gleefully telling a story about how him and other Chester City fans had mimicked noises of earthquakes, presumably during the minutes silence.

Its always nagged at me, what sort of noise does one make when trying to convey an earthquake? Does it sound different to a mudslide?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S43YhQ_eGTw

Always annoyed me that they must have clearly written this about Aberfan then changed it to America thinking they'd get in the charts over there. Have you seen my wife Mr Jones, indeed.