Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:52:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

WREXHAM THREAD

Started by Blue Jam, August 19, 2020, 08:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thr0b

Quote from: Marner and Me on August 20, 2020, 11:22:18 PM
Marl-brough it is known as. Cracking little pub tbf

Nice pub. The only one I have EVER had people try to start a fight with me in though. Standard "lads" who were just looking for trouble.

thr0b

Anyway. Lived there for twelve years. It is nowhere near as awful as its reputation suggests; everything is pleasingly cheap, and though the town centre is desolate, they're all going to be that way in the next few years. A small, poor market town was inevitably going to be one of the first to essentially have no shops in the middle of town.

Lots of nice people, a good arts and culture scene with comedy clubs and music venues run by locals rather than franchises and big businesses (though I did see one act at Central Station who confused jokes with just shouting and swearing his set.)

I'd live there again quite happily, as apart from anything it's easily commutable to bigger towns and cities.

PowerButchi

Quote from: buttgammon on August 21, 2020, 08:10:23 AM
Yes - best in Wrexham for sure! I know what you mean about the West Coast ones too, especially those little out of the way ones that serve pickled eggs and the like.

Nah mate, Josies in Rhosymedre all the way. Home of the breaded chip cone.

Blue Jam

PowerButchi

Yeah. They get a loaf of crust bread, rip the guts out, butter the sides, and fill it full of chips. They also do such great things as Mince and Chips. If you can get over the horrible feeling of being near Cefn Mawr then Josies Chippy is the real winner.

Blue Jam

Thank you, that is somehow even worse than I imagined. Do they do egginafuckinchip as well?

Marner and Me

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 21, 2020, 10:22:51 AM
I was at ysgol with this lovely chap:

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/15946129.wrexham-fan-handed-football-ban-after-steward-assault/

All I can say is that I'm really not surprised at how he's turned out.

Do Wrexham and Chester fans keep a dossier of the names of rival fans who have died in tragic accidents or something?

Being from a Liverpool-supporting household I have only been to The Racecourse once myself, for the Joey Jones testimonial in 1993. The match was kicked off by a celebrity guest, Wolf from Gladiators, standing on the centre spot and kicking the ball into the air.

Went to the derby at Wrexham in 2013 where we (Chester) were expected to get thrashed and ended up winning 2-0 which was marred by Wrexham fans chanting about a Chester fan who had died recently. Then obviously our morons weren't going to let that lie and ended up on Bootleggers video, as for the the cross border rivalry, I do like it, Lee Dixon said it was the most intimidating atmosphere he played in.

PowerButchi

It's not a bubble game anymore thanks to Arfon Jones, mind you not that it matters as Jester are in the part time league.

But it is a massive cauldron of hate from both sides. I take my nephew to a lot of games but I'll never take him to the cross border Derby.

Marner and Me

The bubble is bollocks. Been in it twice I think. We'll do well to get out of that league, I think next season is a write off already, the Gallaghers don't inspire me either really. Well Wrexham weren't to far from the drop at one point. I'll have a read of Dead Passion, as it is a better read that Devachat.

PowerButchi

I'm on Red Passion myself, I never read Divachat.

If the season ended normally we would have gone down I think. We're really going to struggle this season with the shite squad we have.

Marner and Me

Devachat is one of the most boring forums I have ever been on. Sadly being an exile I somewhat need it. Then again promotion the to Conference, shit trips to London every other weekend with fuck all fans and teams bank rolled is wank.

PowerButchi

When we thought we'd be going down we comforted ourselves with at least being able to go to the odd away game.

hummingofevil

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 21, 2020, 05:35:42 PM
Yeah. They get a loaf of crust bread, rip the guts out, butter the sides, and fill it full of chips. They also do such great things as Mince and Chips. If you can get over the horrible feeling of being near Cefn Mawr then Josies Chippy is the real winner.

We used to do this on lunch from St.David's at Borras chippy in 1992 but we bought the bread from Kwik Save next door.

Annie Labuntur

I used to take the school tie off and spend my lunch hour in The Gate Hangs High.

Zetetic

Think I've visited the environs of the hospital multiple times and never once seen the town centre.

Prefer to visit Bangor if I do have to do the long slog, although I miss the now-departed waffles and lambic before the train home.

Have successfully avoided ever visiting Rhyl.

Llandudno was nice.

PowerButchi

I remember drinking in the Bridge in Ruabon when I was 14 in 1999 when Dapper Ray Harris had it. They had GB lager. It was gorgeous.

One day he comes to me and says "How old are you Gareth?", "18 Ray", "Fuck off I saw you in your school uniform this afternoon", "14", "fine, there's your pint. Now sit in the corner and be quiet".

Lovely man.

Captain Crunch

thr0b

The best chip shop in Wrexham bar none is Jones', opposite Tesco. Could never work out its opening times, all I knew is the prices were ridiculously low, the portions massive, and entirely delicious.

Once said to the owner of my local Shrewsbury chip shop (also excellent) that his chips are second best, but best in Shrewsbury. He asked where I used to live; I told him Wrexham.

"Jones', right? I want to buy that place."

Blue Jam

Quote from: thr0b on August 22, 2020, 09:54:00 PM
The best chip shop in Wrexham bar none is Jones', opposite Tesco. Could never work out its opening times, all I knew is the prices were ridiculously low, the portions massive, and entirely delicious.

Once said to the owner of my local Shrewsbury chip shop (also excellent) that his chips are second best, but best in Shrewsbury. He asked where I used to live; I told him Wrexham.

"Jones', right? I want to buy that place."

I haven't set in foot in Wrexham since 2005 but I still know exactly where you mean. That place was (is?) so unassuming but absolutely amazing.

BritishHobo

I love that it does seem to be just a known fact to everybody, that it's best. I've also never quite understood the opening hours, but naturally whenever it is open it's absolutely packed out.

I really like Everlands in the same area, just across from the KFC. Used to get lunch there when I worked in Eagles Meadow.

Blue Jam

Everland's Fish Bar was the second-best in Wrexham. Newer and smarter-looking than Jones', but it never had those queues out the door.

Jittlebags

Wrexham Central or Wrexham General? Eh? Know what I'm saying ?

buttgammon

Everlands is gone now - it's a really messy-looking second hand shop, sadly. Jones is great but I prefer Borras; my girlfriend had fish and chips from Jones once and for an Irish person, it was a mind-blowing experience. There's also a decent one on Pen-y-Bryn (can't remember the name) that I've had good chips on from occasion, as my nana lives round the corner.

Quote from: Jittlebags on August 22, 2020, 11:20:47 PM
Wrexham Central or Wrexham General? Eh? Know what I'm saying ?

Always General, though you have to admire the fact that Central has successfully camouflaged itself into a retail park.

Blue Jam

I don't think I ever had much call to go to Wrexham Central.

Is that chippy round the corner from Iceland still there? The one next to the little archway that leads to the high street? I remember that one being good. Or convenient, at least.

Blue Jam

Anyone remember that plot in Brookside where Sinbad and Tinhead got a lodger? He put a padlock on his bedroom door and they got paranoid he was hiding something sinister and they broke in and found the room covered in... Wrexham AFC memorabilia. When the lodger found out what had happened he told them he'd be moving out, lamenting "I wanted to take you both to The Racecourse sometime, but never mind". It was a bit of a thrill to hear The Racecourse mentioned in Brookie.

EDIT: Ahahahaha, found it!

https://youtu.be/W3sLJRoBH_E

buttgammon

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 23, 2020, 11:15:51 AM

Is that chippy round the corner from Iceland still there? The one next to the little archway that leads to the high street? I remember that one being good. Or convenient, at least.

I think it was called Pebbles (no idea if it's still there). They were always good for a cone of chips on the way back from shopping in the town centre!

Blue Jam

Ah yes, Pebble's chippy! Very handy after a trip to Our Price and The Body Shop.

Sadly it looks like it fell victim to The Curse Of 2016:

http://www.wrexham.com/news/popular-town-centre-chip-shop-closes-after-more-than-20-years-in-the-business-115683.html

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 23, 2020, 11:15:51 AM

You had to use Wrexham Central for the Liverpool train - via Bidston I think. Did a day trip once.

sevendaughters

didn't get to Wrexham. overshot and landed in Llangollen.

PowerButchi

Llan is probably better. I'm in Plas Madoc so I get to associate myself with either Llan or Wrexham.