Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Let's hear it for Irish grannies!" EU passports and that

Started by Blinder Data, October 28, 2020, 02:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Earlier this month I paid a few hundred euro to get put on the Irish registry of foreign births. This is the first step to getting that lovely pink passport.

I'm doing it because maximum freedom of movement and less time spent in airport queues is cool, obviously. But mostly it's for my unborn child's future as it means they are eligible for one as well, even though it'll probably only become useful when they turn 18 in 2038 - and who the hell knows what state the world will be in by then...

I like to think I will now become well Irish and love Guinness and all that craic. Don't you fellas love us plastic paddy johnny-come-latelies, so? It's been a decent earner for the Irish passport office in any case.

Did you manage to get one?
Did you have one already?
Are you insanely jealous, you blue passport wanker?
Or not bothered really?

Sebastian Cobb

I've got a deceased Irish nan. Naturally she never bothered her arse telling Ireland about me or my Mum, why would you? I asked my Mum about the paperwork and she said she thinks her halfwit brother had them, which means they may as well have been burned. I know you can request duplicates, but I don't really know what exactly I need and where to start. I really should do something about it though.

JaDanketies

I got one. I'm not sure about how to get one for the rest of my family. My dad was born in the Republic of Ireland so it was easy street for me but I am 100% Sassenach. It's definitely step one for getting me and my family out of this shithole when the post-Brexit zombies rise.

Paul Calf

No.

Basically, as soon as I need to contract outside the UK I'm fucked. But you have fun with your toy convenience passport.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 28, 2020, 03:07:01 PM
No.

Basically, as soon as I need to contract outside the UK I'm fucked.

I predict Scotland will go independent and will make it real easy for English people to gain Scottish citizenship.

imitationleather

Paul Calf

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 28, 2020, 03:08:08 PM
I predict Scotland will go independent and will make it real easy for English people to gain Scottish citizenship.

What's the betting that England refuses to allow dual citizenship?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 28, 2020, 03:09:11 PM
What's the betting that England refuses to allow dual citizenship?

I think that could present a really embarrassing "x many Britons renounce their citizenship" statistic.

At the moment they charge over 300 quid to renounce it. Bit rich from the 'OUT. LEAVE MEANS LEAVE' lot.

The Culture Bunker

I know a few people who've gone down the Irish passport route - this being Manchester, there's a fair few who have grandparents from the Republic. However, I am possibly the most English person I know (a great-great-great grandfather was from Scotland, but bar that, everyone as far back as we've traced was born in Cumbria) so I'll have to make do with my newly issued British effort, which at least came in a nice shade of black.

Sebastian Cobb

My Nan's brother and her family all ended up there (Nan ended up in Midlands/Worcestershire) is there a historical reason a lot of Irish ended up in Manc?

Ferris

My mum got her Irish passport last month, but she wasn't added on the foreign register of births until I was in my 30s so no passports for me or the sprog. I have a lot of Scots family so if they vote for independence I'll go in for that solely to get my son a d any future nippers an EU passport. Can never have too many passports. Ok cheers.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 28, 2020, 03:18:06 PM
I think that could present a really embarrassing "x many Britons renounce their citizenship" statistic.

At the moment they charge over 300 quid to renounce it. Bit rich from the 'OUT. LEAVE MEANS LEAVE' lot.

They'll bet that no-one will want to lost their right to live and work in (what remains of) Britain though. I can't see them losing that bet.

Chollis

cousin just did this, seemed a bit of a ballache, took him over a year to sort it. i've been meaning to do it just can't be bothered. cheers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 28, 2020, 03:38:22 PM
They'll bet that no-one will want to lost their right to live and work in (what remains of) Britain though. I can't see them losing that bet.

If they're tightening the screws that much, I imagine the prospects of working and 'living' are already dire.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 28, 2020, 03:01:58 PM
I've got a deceased Irish nan. Naturally she never bothered her arse telling Ireland about me or my Mum, why would you? I asked my Mum about the paperwork and she said she thinks her halfwit brother had them, which means they may as well have been burned. I know you can request duplicates, but I don't really know what exactly I need and where to start. I really should do something about it though.

Check out the list of stuff here - it will take you a while to gather it all, especially if you're requesting duplicates, so start now: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

Bear in mind it could take months/years for them to process - unless you're an expectant parent like me in which case they rush it through in a few days. Let's hear it for unborn children!

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 28, 2020, 03:07:01 PM
Basically, as soon as I need to contract outside the UK I'm fucked. But you have fun with your toy convenience passport.

Can't you just be happy for me, mate?

--

I'm pretty sure loads of Irish ended up in Manchester/Liverpool/Glasgow because jobs/famine

JaDanketies

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 28, 2020, 03:23:39 PM
My Nan's brother and her family all ended up there (Nan ended up in Midlands/Worcestershire) is there a historical reason a lot of Irish ended up in Manc?

Liverpool, too. The scouse accent is apparently quite influenced by Irish. I believe it's simply because they took a boat to Liverpool and pushed a little further east to the next big city. Cheetham Hill was full of Irish immigrants, and it still is, but it's largely South Asian now, with a large Jewish community just next to it. All the same story - they moved to a new land, and there was a particular area that was attractive to immigrants and already had some small immigrant community that matched their heritage.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 28, 2020, 03:44:22 PM
Liverpool, too. The scouse accent is apparently quite influenced by Irish. I believe it's simply because they took a boat to Liverpool and pushed a little further east to the next big city. Cheetham Hill was full of Irish immigrants, and it still is, but it's largely South Asian now, with a large Jewish community just next to it. All the same story - they moved to a new land, and there was a particular area that was attractive to immigrants and already had some small immigrant community that matched their heritage.
Apparently Jamacians sound partially like they do because Brtiain rounded up a load of boys from Cork to teach them the lingo.

canadagoose

Sadly I'm stuck with blue dogshit passport, not really having any Irish ancestry (recently). My best pal has some Irish origins but I think it's too far back. If Scottish independence happens we'll be sorted, though.

edit: My current passport is the maroon kind with "European Union" at the top, but it expires in a few years. Not that I go abroad much anyway.

finnquark

My generation in our family (mix of Irish grandparents and parents) got our plastic passports in the aftermath of 9/11 (I think). Something about being safer on a package holiday to Iraq if you were from the Republic.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 28, 2020, 03:23:39 PM
Presumably just the draw of jobs, especially during the famine over there. Later, the Ship Canal was dug by predominately Irish navvies - maybe some of them settled in the city, in part due to the already established community? It was a fairly steady stream of migration over many years - Johnny Marr, Morrissey and Liam/Noel Gallagher all have Irish parentage, for example.

Blinder Data

An independence referendum is, what, 5 years away minimum? Assuming "yes" wins, let's say another 5-10 years before official stuff like the production of passports starts. That's also assuming the negotiations go better than the UK's experience with the EU. Would Scotland definitely join the EU? Many SNP members would not be happy to trade one union with another.

I don't mean to piss on anyone's chips but access to an EU passport via an independent Scotland is far from clear.

Captain Z

I will just renounce my citizenship on WTO rules. I'm are leaving, end off.

finnquark

Liverpool, too.

So much so that the Liverpool Scotland constituency returned an Irish Nationalist MP from 1885 to 1929.

buttgammon

Was hoping to apply for my Irish passport this year (through residency rather than ancestry, so I would be a naturalised Irish citizen) but it's realistically going to take forever at the moment considering the backlog they're going to have to deal with. I already took a look at the forms and they look like an absolute fucking nightmare My British passport is expiring early next year and it's becoming increasingly apparent I'll have to get a new one, at least for the time being.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 28, 2020, 03:58:33 PM
Presumably just the draw of jobs, especially during the famine over there. Later, the Ship Canal was dug by predominately Irish navvies - maybe some of them settled in the city, in part due to the already established community? It was a fairly steady stream of migration over many years - Johnny Marr, Morrissey and Liam/Noel Gallagher all have Irish parentage, for example.
About a third (5000 of 16000) of the navvies who worked on it were Irish immigrants.
The North, and North West in paritcular saw lots of Irish immigrant labour for building the canals, railways, working on the docks, in mills and factories and up to the 20th century building the motorway network and the general building trades rebuilding the infrastructure and thousands of new houses after the war (as immortalised in the song 'McAlpines Fusiliers', along with Laing, Taylor Woodrow, Wimpey and Norwest Holst).

Prior to the spread of the rail network, it was easier to get labour into the north of the country via ship from Ireland than it was to send men up from the south:
Quote from:  J B Hammond
It was easier to reach Yorkshire from Ireland than from Norfolk or Dorset... Labourers who were sent to Lancashire were taken to London, put on a boat of Pickfords...carried to Manchester in four or five days at a cost of fourteen shillings. But an Irishman could cross to Liverpool in fourteen hours for two shillings and sixpence/

Liverpool was the main port of entry for Irish immigrants, and by 1851 20% of the city's population was Irish. In the decade the Famine took place over 2 million Irish travelled to Liverpool as it was also the main departure point to get to America, but inevitably a large number stayed on. Liverpool was also the only UK city to have an Irish Nationalist MP - Thomas Power O'Connor, who served as MP for the Liverpool Scotland Road constituency (where both my parents were from - my great grandparents on my fathers side were both Irish Catholics) from 1885 until his death in 1929. (as mentioned above by JaDanketies)

Liverpool, too. The scouse accent is apparently quite influenced by Irish. I believe it's simply because they took a boat to Liverpool and pushed a little further east to the next big city.
Liverpool had relatively little industry compared to Manchester, so if they didn't fancy being a labourer, couldn't get a job on the Docks or in Tate & Lyles or Bibbys then Manchester and the mill towns of Lancashire (home of the Butter Pie as Catholics didn't eat meat on Fridays) and West Yorkshire were just a train ride away.

Pseudopath

Yeah...I got one a couple of years ago (Irish ma and da), but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I do enjoy gazing at the little gold harp on the cover and checking out all the funny words therein.

It's a small price to pay for a "fuck this shit" exit plan once the bog-brush of political eventualities finally jostles this foetid isle apart and flushes us all down the waste pipe of irrelevance.

Ambient Sheep

I thought I was going to be able to do this, seeing as my father's mum was a redhead from Dublin called Frances Dolan.

Then last year, shortly after my Mum's death, my oldest brother broke the bad news at the wake: he and his German wife had thoroughly looked into it themselves for obvious reasons, only to find that although Ms. Dolan had spent virtually all of her life in Dublin, and was an Irish citizen herself, it turns out she was actually born in Scotland.  EHHH-URGGGGHHH!

Apparently that breaks it, despite her own Irish citizenship.  Seems that if Dad had registered something-or-other before some year or other (1978? 1989?  Don't remember now.) we'd be OK, but as it is, we're all stuffed.  Can't blame him, why would he ever think such a thing would become necessary?

So we're kinda screwed.

Best hope now is that Scotland declares independence and gets back with the EU, given that my Dad himself was born in Scotland, albeit to an English Dad and an Irish(Scottish?) Mum.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on October 28, 2020, 04:38:41 PM
About a third (5000 of 16000) of the navvies who worked on it were Irish immigrants.
That's what happens when you believe what you're told in the pub by a bunch of third-generation Irish Mancs. Call it a "sizeable proportion", then.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

No chance with Ireland. Though, my mum was born in Nicosia but always been a British citizen. I assume that isn't enough for a Cypriot passport.