Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:50:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone else getting fit in Covid?

Started by Johnny Textface, November 07, 2020, 01:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: bgmnts on November 08, 2020, 12:55:48 PM
How do people actually lose this weight so easily then? I've lost bugger all.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is the amount of calories that your body burns in a day at your current height, age, gender and weight. Use this site to calculate it.

What I do is I take that TDEE figure at sedentary and I aim to eat 500 calories less on average per day across a week. So I'll have a takeaway per week but offset it with lower days. 500 calories per day across a week is the equivalent to one pound of fat. I then also try to burn an extra 3500 calories per week through exercise. I should end the week losing 2 pounds in weight broadly.

Men shouldn't go below 1500 calories a day on average and women shouldn't go below 1200.

You can estimate the calories burned with a walk or run using this site.

Other things can impact weight. If you start exercising more then you will put on a fair amount of water weight. You just need to keep in mind that if you are sticking to a calorie deficit then you are burning fat and losing weight. Keep your protein and exercise up to stop losing too much muscle as you lose.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It turned out I was doing intermittent fasting by accident, since I'm too lazy to get up and eat before lunchtime. I'm not sure how well it works if you're the type to get pissed off or light headed when you're hungry though. A friend of mine is really hardcore about it - not eating until the early evening - and they're like a zombie when they get back from work.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on November 07, 2020, 01:17:20 AM
Little bit yeah, regularly wanking 3-5 times a day. Quite enjoying it.

Genuinely misread it as that.

I've got a cardio and strength exercise routine that I do every night, my cat seems to enjoy "getting involved (in my way)" too.

JamesTC

Wanking is pretty poor in terms of burning calories. Even 5 times a day.

You are better off with a vigorous run.

hamfist

Quote from: JamesTC on November 08, 2020, 03:56:50 PM

You are better off with a vigorous run.

Do like me and wank while running

JamesTC

Quote from: hamfist on November 08, 2020, 03:58:35 PM
Do like me and wank while running

My route includes a primary school, mate.

El Unicornio, mang

JamesTC

I can't wank while running. My pants would fall down.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I just remembered that I actually made the decision to stop exercising at the start of the pandemic. It was during the couple of weeks when selfish cunts had stripped bare all the shop shelves and I was genuinely frightened about having to survive on very little sustenance.

Blue Jam

Been cycling to werk. Doing that less now though as I'm in Scotland and it gets dark at 3pm and the Innocent Railway Tunnel is scary enough as it is.

The tunnel had a lighting upgrade a few weeks ago and that made it much more pleasant, but last week the new lights failed. Cycling home after dark I was very glad I'd treated myself to a 500 lumen headlight a few months back.

It's also scary to see how many cyclists, runners and dog walkers go along that tunnel with no lights or hi-vis gear at all, especially the dog-walkers when they're wearing headphones and their dog isn't on a lead. Last week I decided my hi-vis vest was inadequate and treated myself to something not unlike this sexy little number which makes me feel like Daniel Kitson at last year's Embra Fringe:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/adrenaline-waterproof-mens-iso-viz-jacket-p7003.aspx/silver/

Another good thing about the lighting upgrade is that it has encouraged more people to get down there and spray even more Tory-bashing graffiti on the walls. Good stuff. The tunnel is worth a visit if you're ever in Embra with a camera.

Anyway, getting fitter and my thighs are like granite now but I don't seem to be losing much weight. I've also got back into the yoga, mainly for back pain but it's definitely worked there. I've also cut down on midweek drinking and I've been making smoothies for breakfast but progress has been slow. Will keep it up though.

sirhenry

You are better off with a vigorous nun.
Ftfy

At the start of the first lockdown I found Ringfit Adventure on the Switch was really good for keeping getting fit. But one day it got me to do half an hour of nothing but squats and that fucked my knees for a week so I never went back.

I've been trying with varying success to maintain my regular weight training routine, based mainly around compound barbell lifts, all the while sticking to my usual diet of fat-laden food and beer. I'm confident of soon reaching my goal of looking like a retired darts player.

ASFTSN

October 2019: Discover against all the odds I actually like going to the gym and lifting weights. Begin to slowly actually make progress and put on weight and build small amount of muscle.

December 2019: Receive bizarre and terrifying blood test result to do with heightened ALT levels. Assume this is to do with weight lifting/and or high calorie diet based on what Dr Google tells me. GP "doesn't know" what happened.  Freak out and have several more blood tests. Eventually returns to normal.

January 2020: Keep going to gym.

March 2020 - present: No more gym for you ASFTSN. Carry on lifting weights as best I can at home, lose weight, become a bit scrawny again. Stop making progress but keep lifting 2-3 times a week with no bench/rack. Live in hypochondriac fear my ALT levels are secretly going weird.

To sum up: Deade soone.

Fambo Number Mive

Getting bored of the same old walks but am eating less and trying to eat as close to 5 a day as I can. Missing being able to leave my local area for a walk though.

Fr.Bigley

Walking a lot round 5-8km a day. Weight dropped dramatically when the weather was good. Not fat by any means but the shite weather and cheap booze certainly as helped put a pouch on.

flotemysost

At the start of lockdown I half-heartedly joined in various Zoom yoga classes and online workouts etc. that people I know were inviting me to, more as a social thing/something to suggest doing with my flatmate/supporting my friends (as a couple of them are self-employed yoga/fitness instructors and were running "pay what you feel" classes).

It was fun enough to try a few times while there was fuck all else to do, but ultimately I'm just not a yoga/gym/fitness fanatic in the same way some of these friends are, so really I've just walked everywhere (the fact that I don't drive, and that getting on London public transport hasn't been the most appealing prospect this year, has admittedly helped).

Don't weigh myself these days but have been told I've got noticeably slimmer in lockdown, so yeah, more walking and less going to the pub did it for me.

Ironically, I was advised to consider looking into antidepressants at the start of the year, but I was hesitant, partly based on some friends' experiences of a) gaining weight and b) losing their sex drive. Little did I know a) possibly wouldn't have been a big problem, given all the walking, and b) possibly would have been a godsend given all the wanking

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 09, 2020, 06:43:51 PM
Another good thing about the lighting upgrade is that it has encouraged more people to get down there and spray even more Tory-bashing graffiti on the walls. Good stuff. The tunnel is worth a visit if you're ever in Embra with a camera.

I stupidly ordered something without checking the delivery address and it ended up at work so I cycled in to grab it in my dinner break, noticed some of this sort of thing en route.

I also felt very knackered after cycling up the hill to get into the place, definitely lost weight in my thighs.

magval

Managed to get to the second last run of C25K (the fucking horrible 30-minutes-nonstop week) then got sick for a fortnight and haven't been able to get back into it at all. Still have the one last wee badge sitting unobtained.

I think the problem for me was I was actually a LOT heavier than I realised (I hadn't weighed myself in a year and put on nearly 2 and a half stone!) so even when I was able to finish the runs I didn't think I'd be able to, I probably SHOULDN'T have been able to. Those thirty minute jaunts were no fun at all. Didn't even get that running high afterwards like I did with the earlier programs. Still, my coach was Synthesizer Patel and I feel like I let him down.

Lockdown's been a bollox because I got into cooking a bit so put on weight that way, lost the running after the local school (around which my running track is built reopened) and I kept having to avoid bratty mothers who wouldn't observe the one-way arrows, and my daughter's just been born which has obliterated any sense of routine quite spectacularly. Spose I may just be a bit fat again for a while.

chveik

Quote from: magval on November 10, 2020, 08:15:07 PM
Managed to get to the second last run of C25K (the fucking horrible 30-minutes-nonstop week) then got sick for a fortnight and haven't been able to get back into it at all. Still have the one last wee badge sitting unobtained.

I'm not sure you're supposed to run everyday (it could fuck up your knees). when I'm arsed I run 3/4 times a week for 45 min and walk a hour the other days.

thenoise

The trouble with wanking, aside from the fact that it's a mortal sin, is that 5 minutes after completion I am desperate for a junk food snack. No matter what time the day or night.

magval

Quote from: chveik on November 10, 2020, 08:22:26 PM
I'm not sure you're supposed to run everyday (it could fuck up your knees). when I'm arsed I run 3/4 times a week for 45 min and walk a hour the other days.

Bad phrasing, no, it was three runs in a single week just.

Thing is, I got into it quite well, got the gait analysis, bought good runners, made bpm playlists. Then quit it, like I quit everything else I get challenged while doing :-(

Words of encouragement please lads and lasses

JamesTC

Quote from: magval on November 10, 2020, 09:54:36 PM
Bad phrasing, no, it was three runs in a single week just.

Thing is, I got into it quite well, got the gait analysis, bought good runners, made bpm playlists. Then quit it, like I quit everything else I get challenged while doing :-(

Words of encouragement please lads and lasses

I'm a fat bastard and I did an "easy" run today which was 50 minutes without stopping. And I had fuck all fitness before June.

Just don't feel the need to follow a specific tailored running plan. It works for some and doesn't for others. Take it slower and go at your own pace. You'll get fitter and fitter without even realising it.

Head Gardener

hamfist

I'm doing a "race at your pace" this month, along with an overseas friend for solidarity. This is instead of the usual organised runs I would do locally - you get a bit of a medal and a t-shirt, so some tat to commemorate it. I'm running 150mi / 242km in November

Neville Chamberlain

Pull-ups are great! In a few months, I've gone from being able to do 0 to around 5 or 6 in a row with ease - proper ones too, from a dead hang position to chin over the bar. I've been going to the gym for a couple of years now and have always done lots of heavy pulling exercises with good form, but was never able to translate this strength to pull-ups. I actually realised that I wasn't lacking the strength, but the technique - although losing 12 kg certainly helped, too. The light-bulb moment was realising the pull-up is primarily a back exercise, so I started to really focus on activating my back and lats and I fairly shot up to the bar.

Once I can do 10 pull-ups in a row, muscle-ups are my next goal!

This is kind of relevant, I guess - someone mentioned pull-ups earlier!

hamfist

have you got a pull up bar at home ? a doorframe one ?

Head Gardener

I've lost nearly 2 stone since August by sticking to eating only what my wife cooks - I used to snack between meals but by cutting that out the weight has dropped off me, and I walk the dog 3 times a day but that's it really

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 20, 2020, 04:02:08 PM...I wasn't lacking the strength, but the technique - although losing 12 kg certainly helped, too.

I found this too. I used to do heavy lat machine pulldowns and barbell rows but really struggled with chins/pull-ups and only managed them when I dropped below about 15 stone. As soon as my weight crept up again - even by only 2-3kg - I started finding them near impossible.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: hamfist on November 20, 2020, 05:08:13 PM
have you got a pull up bar at home ? a doorframe one ?

Yep, one of these for lots of different grip types and widths: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Multifunktions-Pull-up-Bar-/264934025266

Chedney Honks

I lost about three stone between January 1st and March 31st. Proper temple body tier, I had abs for the first time in ten years. I put two stone on in the intervening seven months but I don't really care. Having a belter of a time in many respects, buzzing off some arthouse cinema, playing on the PS5, laughing with my wife. Crying my eyes out listening to music and watching movies, proper catharsis. It is great! I hate a lot of people I meet now but I'm reassured that they will all die, most during my lifetime, and I'll get to enjoy the news. Aww. So sad. 😂😂😂