Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:55:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No 9 - series 6

Started by MigraineBoy, November 19, 2020, 06:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leej88

First made me laugh after that did not laugh at any of them.

neveragain

Quote from: lazyhour on June 16, 2021, 10:17:51 PM
Does anyone have an explanation as to why Reece's character did a little extra stabby stab to a clearly mortally-wounded Christalike?

(Meek voice) I... did earlier on.
He's angry at foreigners, his wife and his repressed sexuality. All of this can be backed up by lines from the episode. He takes it out in a violent and surprising reaction, which happily shows the Remainer character as the worst of them all.

El Unicornio, mang

I liked it, but would have much preferred it without the Jesus Guy element. There was enough going on with the 6 other characters to build to a satisfying and chaotic climax a la the aforementioned Abigail's Party.

Have generally really liked this whole series more than the previous couple.

Cerys

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 15, 2021, 05:06:52 PM
There was very much a whiff of Abigail's Party about this ep for me.

Alan Ayckbourn sprang to mind for me, as did a TV play from years ago, Among Barbarians.

Cerys

Quote from: lazyhour on June 16, 2021, 10:17:51 PM
Does anyone have an explanation as to why Reece's character did a little extra stabby stab to a clearly mortally-wounded Christalike?

Finish him off before anyone decides to call an ambulance?

neveragain

Hello Cerys! Haven't seen you for ages. Hope you're well.

Cerys

BlodwynPig

Yeh, didnt Jesus essentially suffer a pile on by lesser men. Reece is a coward, a lesser man. Seals his doom

Edit : in response to prev page

SteveDave

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 16, 2021, 10:30:54 PM
Something to do with Jesus getting stabbed in the side on the cross, maybe? Other than that, no idea, which happened a few times for me in this ep. Worst one of the series by far, but then I'm probably alone in thinking the first ep was the best one.

I believe it was this

QuoteThe gospel states that the Romans planned to break Jesus' legs, a practice known as crurifragium, which was a method of hastening death during a crucifixion. Because it was the eve of The Sabbath (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown), the followers of Jesus needed to "entomb" him because of Sabbath laws. Just before they did so, they realized that Jesus was already dead and that there was no reason to break his legs ("and no bone will be broken"). To make sure that he was dead, a Roman soldier (named in extra-Biblical tradition as Longinus) stabbed him in the side.

I said this to my wife (but it not so many words) and she was very impressed and aroused at my biblical knowledge.

My mum (a big bible fan) pointed out several I'd missed. The three denials. There was some reason the old man stabbed him with a pitchfork too - definitely something biblical but I'm fucked if I remember what it was; I'd sort of stopped listening by now. She also had a reference for why the woman rubbed herself up against him too. Definitely not listening by now. Apparently also too there was much talk at the time of the disciples basically being Jesus "bum chums", propaganda to trying weaken his power - which might explain the horrible closet references.
But, we both agreed, to make something about immigration then have the immigrant character completely silent, killed off and then beatified was very white man story telling.
That's the whole issue with this. It bent itself in ridiculous directions to get all these references in rather than having a good story with some references for those paying attention.
Anyway - enough of me whining. My summary, shit series, after a semi-shit series. It's pointing to the next one being a real stinker or a return to form. Given the ego of the pair of them on the podcasts, I think it's going to be the latter unless someone steps in and winds their necks in a bit.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 15, 2021, 05:06:52 PM
There was very much a whiff of Abigail's Party about this ep for me.

Crossed with Brimstone & Treacle. Well it wasn't quite as shockingly bold as that, but reaching for it. It was a refreshing subversion of stereotypes that when Steve's jolly Brexit man found a foreign stranger in his home he offered him food, whereas Reece's viciously embittered remainer stabbed him. I had the sense that there were Christian allegories at work that I didn't understand. Be good if the next script book is annotated.

olliebean

More insight into the meaning of this episode here than on the podcast. I'm reminded of when I was doing a devised theatre course, and we went to see a piece that I thought was redolent with clever allegories and hidden meaning - then we had a Q&A with the director afterwards, and mostly his answers to "why did you do this, that or the other" were along the lines of "because we thought it was cool."

Leej88

From series 5 I enjoyed Stakeout and Death be not proud.

Kankurette

Quote from: Largely Babble on June 17, 2021, 10:06:10 AM
My mum (a big bible fan) pointed out several I'd missed. The three denials. There was some reason the old man stabbed him with a pitchfork too - definitely something biblical but I'm fucked if I remember what it was; I'd sort of stopped listening by now. She also had a reference for why the woman rubbed herself up against him too. Definitely not listening by now. Apparently also too there was much talk at the time of the disciples basically being Jesus "bum chums", propaganda to trying weaken his power - which might explain the horrible closet references.
But, we both agreed, to make something about immigration then have the immigrant character completely silent, killed off and then beatified was very white man story telling.
That's the whole issue with this. It bent itself in ridiculous directions to get all these references in rather than having a good story with some references for those paying attention.
Anyway - enough of me whining. My summary, shit series, after a semi-shit series. It's pointing to the next one being a real stinker or a return to form. Given the ego of the pair of them on the podcasts, I think it's going to be the latter unless someone steps in and winds their necks in a bit.
I thought the pitchfork was a reference to the lance of Longinus (that Roman dude who speared JC).

Bingo Fury

Quote from: Cerys on June 17, 2021, 12:36:55 AM
Alan Ayckbourn sprang to mind for me, as did a TV play from years ago, Among Barbarians.

Lindsay Anderson was the one that popped into my head as I was watching it. Lindsay Anderson controversially reworking Whistle Down the Wind.

Quote from: Kankurette on June 17, 2021, 12:05:25 PM
I thought the pitchfork was a reference to the lance of Longinus (that Roman dude who speared JC).
Could've been that. Although I think she mentioned something about someone being called upon to fight the devil to protect his family. I'll ask her again.

BlodwynPig

Nice touch that hare was dressed as Barabus

Peter Kurten

My summary, shit series, after a semi-shit series. It's pointing to the next one being a real stinker or a return to form. Given the ego of the pair of them on the podcasts, I think it's going to be the latter unless someone steps in and winds their necks in a bit.

What a cuntish response to two people on a podcast talking with enthusiasm about some work they did. I don't particularly care for this show, but am compelled to highlight this post. Bitter trolling like this should be called out more on here. It's not even an "opinion" - its just disproportionate raging hate. Almost comical if it wasn't so vile.

Captain Z

They're aiming for their very own personal shoutout in the next series.

EDIT - Forget that - forgot ignore exists.

ishantbekeepingit

I actually thought it was the last series that was largely a duffer (Thinking Out Loud easily being the worst episode of the entire show, although I have significantly warmed up to Love's Great Adventure), with this year being a significant improvement.

selectivememory

I only got around to watching Series 5 a few weeks ago and it was fine. With the exception of the police episode, maybe nothing quite at the level of the best episodes of earlier series, but still pretty good on the whole. And yeah, the multiple personality episode didn't work for me at all.

Anyway, I thought Series 6 was fantastic and as consistently good a series as they've done yet. Hurry Up and Wait and Last Night of the Proms both had some issues, but I still enjoyed them a lot, and the other four episodes were up there with the best of them for me.

Kankurette

I actually loved Thinking Out Loud. Partly because of the big reveal and partly because it reminded me of Umineko When They Cry (a major character in it invents personalities as a coping mechanism).

neveragain

I had certain misgivings about TOL but have grown to love it more and more. It has a wonderful tense atmosphere, as well as some brilliant acting and writing. Put me down as a Series 5 Supporter. Full disclosure: I also had issues with Death Be Not Proud - was grumpy at first that it was revisiting an old idea - but it won me over by being hilarious and dark as sin. The contentious footie episode was never a problem. Misdirection, Stakeout and Ken Loach are all classics as far as I'm concerned.

jsgibble

This series had some great stuff from Reece Shearsmith imo. Really liked Simon Says, How Do You Plead and Last Night of the Proms.

Kankurette

Quote from: neveragain on June 17, 2021, 08:16:16 PM
I had certain misgivings about TOL but have grown to love it more and more. It has a wonderful tense atmosphere, as well as some brilliant acting and writing. Put me down as a Series 5 Supporter. Full disclosure: I also had issues with Death Be Not Proud - was grumpy at first that it was revisiting an old idea - but it won me over by being hilarious and dark as sin. The contentious footie episode was never a problem. Misdirection, Stakeout and Ken Loach are all classics as far as I'm concerned.
Another Series 5 fan here, if only because there wasn't a single episode I didn't like. Series 3 was also very strong.

idunnosomename

The only one of this series that doesn't fit into the whole meta-theme of acting and TV production is "How Do You Plead?". well except that it's got Derek Jacobi in it I guess

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 17, 2021, 09:34:27 PM
The only one of this series that doesn't fit into the whole meta-theme of acting and TV production is "How Do You Plead?". well except that it's got Derek Jacobi in it I guess

And it's about selling your soul.

idunnosomename

i always associate that trope with musical prowess really, beyond Theophilus and Faust. oratory of the legal profession seemed a new one for me

Thomas

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 17, 2021, 09:40:57 PM
i always associate that trope with musical prowess really, beyond Theophilus and Faust. oratory of the legal profession seemed a new one for me

I wasn't aware of it until after seeing the episode, but have you read/seen The Devil and Daniel Webster (1936)? A lawyer, who shares his name with Jacobi's character,
Spoiler alert
defends a man's soul against the devil, who has come to collect it
[close]

In the podcast for 'Proms', Reece and Steve mention that series 6 featured more TV insider stories than they would ideally have liked, but fuckdown boshed the schedules.