Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:20:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No 9 - series 6

Started by MigraineBoy, November 19, 2020, 06:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Peter Kurten on June 17, 2021, 03:58:15 PM
What a cuntish response to two people on a podcast talking with enthusiasm about some work they did. I don't particularly care for this show, but am compelled to highlight this post. Bitter trolling like this should be called out more on here. It's not even an "opinion" - its just disproportionate raging hate. Almost comical if it wasn't so vile.

I don't particularly care for this show...

Yet, you joined the forum on February the 1st and have made 7 posts since then, all of them within the Inside No.9 threads...

Hi, Reece!

idunnosomename

Quote from: Thomas on June 17, 2021, 09:48:08 PM
I wasn't aware of it until after seeing the episode, but have you read/seen The Devil and Daniel Webster (1936)? A lawyer, who shares his name with Jacobi's character,
Spoiler alert
defends a man's soul against the devil, who has come to collect it
[close]

In the podcast for 'Proms', Reece and Steve mention that series 6 featured more TV insider stories than they would ideally have liked, but fuckdown boshed the schedules.
no. as I say I should listen to the freakin podcasts!!!

Joe Oakes

The last episode was one of the most disturbing television experiences of my life. It was like 9/11 multiplied by Christian Eriksen.

I just honestly had no idea how deeply depraved the Proms are. The Minstrel Show got cancelled but this sick shit is still allowed to happen in plain sight on the BBC? I mean, yeah, I've seen it in TV listings for decades, and even seen small snippets before I can find the remote if I stumbled across it. But I just didn't know. Reminds me of the time I found my parents profile on a swingers site.

chveik

What a cuntish response to two people on a podcast talking with enthusiasm about some work they did. I don't particularly care for this show, but am compelled to highlight this post. Bitter trolling like this should be called out more on here. It's not even an "opinion" - its just disproportionate raging hate. Almost comical if it wasn't so vile.

lol fuck off Reece

Kankurette

My summary, shit series, after a semi-shit series. It's pointing to the next one being a real stinker or a return to form. Given the ego of the pair of them on the podcasts, I think it's going to be the latter unless someone steps in and winds their necks in a bit.

Hi Reece!

gib

idunnosomename

Quote from: Joe Oakes on June 18, 2021, 12:27:24 AM
The last episode was one of the most disturbing television experiences of my life. It was like 9/11 multiplied by Christian Eriksen.

I just honestly had no idea how deeply depraved the Proms are. The Minstrel Show got cancelled but this sick shit is still allowed to happen in plain sight on the BBC? I mean, yeah, I've seen it in TV listings for decades, and even seen small snippets before I can find the remote if I stumbled across it. But I just didn't know. Reminds me of the time I found my parents profile on a swingers site.
it's just the last night that's this panto garbage. the rest are normal concerts by esteemed international orchestras. none of this bobbing up and down to the blue peter theme bullshit. all that's different to regular concerts is you have general entry standing space in the stalls and the gallery which costs like £5 on the door.

Quote from: Kankurette on June 18, 2021, 01:13:46 AM
Hi Reece!

Actually may genuinely be Reece since he's using Peter Kurten, the killer in Copycat, one of his favourite films, as his name.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Bereft Isabella on June 18, 2021, 09:48:28 AM
Actually may genuinely be Reece since he's using Peter Kurten, the killer in Copycat, one of his favourite films, as his name.

It's not Jesus, it's just a fella.

ishantbekeepingit

Well, I've always enjoyed the Last Night and watch it every year, and I've yet to pitchfork an immigrant to death.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on June 19, 2021, 10:26:20 AM
Well, I've always enjoyed the Last Night and watch it every year, and I've yet to pitchfork an immigrant to death.

Don't worry, you'll have your chances.

Bigfella

This series is the first time I've actually watched this.  Would classify it as good-to-excellent, less ha ha ha, more 'hmm, that was clever, that bit was cool.'  The majority opinion here seems to be that the previous series were more consistent.

Jerzy Bondov

They don't sound egotistical on the podcasts to me. What are they meant to do, say it was all shit and you're a twat for listening? I wish more shows had podcasts like this, it's as close as we get to DVD extras now.

Len Pounds

Quote from: Bigfella on June 20, 2021, 12:01:32 AM
This series is the first time I've actually watched this.  Would classify it as good-to-excellent, less ha ha ha, more 'hmm, that was clever, that bit was cool.'  The majority opinion here seems to be that the previous series were more consistent.

All 37 episodes are available on iPlayer, so get 'em watched! Last couple of series have been alright, but the best episodes are definitely found in series 1-4, and there are several really, really good ones!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Kankurette on June 16, 2021, 11:28:34 AM
Ranking episodes in order of preference:
1. How Do You Plead?
2. Lip Service
3. Simon Says
4. Hurry Up and Wait
5. Last Night of the Proms
6. Wuthering Heist

For me, it's:

1. Lip Service
2. How Do You Plead?
3. Hurry Up and Wait
4. Simon Says
5. Wuthering Heist
6. Last Night of the Proms

Johnny Yesno

I thought this was probably the stupidest comment of the thread till I saw the response:

Quote from: Largely Babble on June 17, 2021, 10:06:10 AM
Given the ego of the pair of them on the podcasts, I think it's going to be the latter unless someone steps in and winds their necks in a bit.

A great one two, there. Well done, lads!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Largely Babble on July 04, 2021, 01:08:31 PM
Fuck off bellend.

'Raging hate' does seem to be accurate, to be fair.

Fwiw, I've enjoyed the I2N9 (or whatever we're calling it) podcast. Pembersmith seem only too happy to give credit where it's due and admit that they hire people who have skills that they themselves don't possess, extolling their collaborators' work as they do so. That doesn't sound egotistical to me.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Len Pounds on June 29, 2021, 10:13:49 PM
All 37 episodes are available on iPlayer, so get 'em watched! Last couple of series have been alright, but the best episodes are definitely found in series 1-4, and there are several really, really good ones!

As a relative newcomer to the show, I'd disagree with this somewhat. I started watching last year and thought it was uniformly excellent. So I worked my way back through the previous series and while there are many good, and even great, episodes to be found, this is a show that gets more confident and consistent every year.

This most recent series was possibly the best yet, but I feel they suffered by putting the Proms episode on last as a lot of people didn't get/enjoy it and it's left an unsatisfying taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Personally I loved the Proms one. My only real problem with the series was the clown heist episode, which I found almost literally unwatchable (and even that had the fairly mind blowing
Spoiler alert
CaB shoutout
[close]
!) But the general consensus on here seemed to be that it was great, so what do I know?

Virgo76

Filming on The Last Night At The Proms episode was interrupted by the first lockdown. I think part of the problem with it was that it was clearly written during the height of the Brexit debate. It had already dated quite badly by the time it aired.

Virgo76

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on July 04, 2021, 10:47:16 PM
As a relative newcomer to the show, I'd disagree with this somewhat. I started watching last year and thought it was uniformly excellent. So I worked my way back through the previous series and while there are many good, and even great, episodes to be found, this is a show that gets more confident and consistent every year.

I largely agree with you. I came to Black Mirror very late and after being very impressed by series 4 episodes like Hang the DJ and USS Callister was surprised to find lots of long term fans complaining that the series was now way past its best (not on here - just people generally). I later caught up with the earlier ones and while I would agree they were mostly great, I saw nothing which made me think the season 4 stories were dramatically inferior.
I suspect Inside No 9 is the same. It really has been pretty consistently excellent throughout.

Icehaven

Not to be all

but it's a bit like with some relationships, fans who are into something from the start eventually stop getting that massive buzz they got when they first discovered it and loved it and it seemed fresh and original, and although the show itself has hardly changed and hasn't actually got worse or anything their perspective has, and it seems somehow tired and lesser simply because they're used to it now. I wonder if anthology shows in particular suffer with this because there's no investment in characters or plot arcs to rely on to maintain interest, and you have to actively avoid ending up with people just going "Yeah yeah I get it, it's dark, now what's the twist this week?"

jobotic

It's funny, when I think of Inside No 9 I think of Diddle Diddle Dumpling first. I thought that was magnificent and Reece's acting was ace. Found it really moving (although i'm not sure how I was moved!). I don't think it went down that well on here at the time.

JaDanketies

I'd go so far as to say Inside Number 9 is the most consistently-great thing that they've ever made, which is a pretty fucking high watermark. Although maybe 12 Years of Christine and A Quiet Night In are still my favourites. I used to show those episodes to women I was dating so that I could seem like a real connoisseur of brilliant TV.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 05, 2021, 11:53:02 AM
I'd go so far as to say Inside Number 9 is the most consistently-great thing that they've ever made, which is a pretty fucking high watermark. Although maybe 12 Years Days of Christine and A Quiet Night In are still my favourites. I used to show those episodes to women I was dating so that I could seem like a real connoisseur of brilliant TV.

Perhaps this is where I'm going wrong. The Devil of Christmas is a great episode, though.

Enzo

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 05, 2021, 12:06:52 PM
Perhaps this is where I'm going wrong. The Devil of Christmas is a great episode, though.

maybe not one for a date night though

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Enzo on July 05, 2021, 08:53:53 PM
maybe not one for a date night though

Thanks for pointing out what I was clearly implying ;-p

Enzo

The Roofdog

Premiere comedy forum cookdandbombd mentioned on stage tonight at the Barbican event for the new book. Apparently their editor was trying to make them change it to "twitter". "Only about 100 people would get it but cookdandbombd was funnier"