Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wisteria - new David Lynch show for Netflix

Started by QDRPHNC, December 02, 2020, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

There has been some chat about this in the Twin Peaks thread, but thought it deserved it's own topic now that we know the working title. The Nerdist link is a bit clickbaity, but figured I may as well include it.

David Lynch Netflix Project, Working Title 'Wisteria,' in the Works

QuoteRumors are swirling around a new David Lynch project in the works, and at Netflix. As observed in industry trade Production Weekly, an untitled David Lynch project with the working title "Wisteria" is set to begin production in May 2021. The publication notes longtime Lynch collaborator Sabrina S. Sutherland as a producer, and that the project will film at Calvert Studios in LA.

Everything we know about the new David Lynch series 'Wisteria'

QuoteIn February of this year, a Reddit user who claimed to have "inside info" name-dropped the Wisteria project and alluded to it having an $85 million budget, assuming the format of either 25 one-hour long episodes or even 13 "mini movies". According to the source, the project is set for 200 shooting days, likely entailing a 2022 release.

David Lynch to Start Shooting Netflix Series

QuoteShooting is set to start in May 2021 and that some of it will take place at Calvert Studios, which is where Rancho Rosa shot parts for Twin Peaks: The Return. The new series is written by David Lynch and he will direct with Sabrina S. Sutherland as the producer.

QuoteDavid Lynch has been rumored to be in talks with Netflix about a new project ever since he was spotted grabbing coffee in the Netflix lobby back in 2018. The surprise release of What Did Jack Do? at the start of 2020 put those rumors to rest only temporarily because about a month later, a casting call for 'the lead of the new David Lynch film' popped up on Recapped.com. David Lynch was said to be looking for an actress with dark hair in her mid-to-late 20s and 'tasteful nudity' was required. The same source later clarified it was actually a limited series for 'a very popular streaming service' and that the actress was to be in her 30s instead.

Is David Lynch's New Project a TWIN PEAKS Spinoff?

QuoteLynch's projects are always super secretive. So there's a good chance we won't know what Wisteria is until it appears on our TV screens, if it does at all. But there are a few clues that point to this possibly being a continuation of Twin Peaks. And it might just center on a character we met in the show's final episode. A character named Carrie Page, who is actually an alternate reality Laura Palmer.

Custard

Yes man. I really hope this is somehow a Peaks spin-off/continuation/HAPPY ENDING

Thinking about it, if this is Netflix, then there's a very good chance that it'll all be put up for streaming in one go.

Though I'm not sure if that's better, as I loved the weekly discussions of the latest  Peaks episode on here

25 episodes! This is Christmas come early. So happy and excited

Now begins the lengthy wait. Please live David, keep on living David

Ja'moke

I might be the odd one out, but I want this to be a brand new non-Peaks show. That's not because I don't like Twin Peaks, I love Twin Peaks, and the revival was so perfect to me. I'm satisfied with that being the end (despite the horror of the ending).

I'm more intrigued to see what Lynch can do with a brand new story and characters.

Custard

I know what you mean Ja'moke, but honestly either scenario is exciting. More Peaks, or a completely new and fresh thing

Oh man, this is great news. Any Lynch is unmissable

Shaky

I was thinking it couldn't be new TP because Mark Snow isn't involved, but then he's already had a solo go at adding supplementary material in the form of two books. Perhaps it's Lynch's turn to do the same?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Shaky on December 02, 2020, 01:38:34 PM
I was thinking it couldn't be new TP because Mark Snow isn't involved, but then he's already had a solo go at adding supplementary material in the form of two books. Perhaps it's Lynch's turn to do the same?

Mark Snow also denied being part of Twin Peaks 3 though, so who knows.

Ja'moke

QDRPHNC

Ja'moke

Blumf

So, we know the name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisteria
QuoteWisteria is a genus of flowering plants in the legume family, Fabaceae (Leguminosae), that includes ten species of woody climbing bines (twining vines) that are native to China, Korea, Japan, and the Eastern United States. Some species are popular ornamental plants.

The botanist Thomas Nuttall said he named the genus Wisteria in memory of the American physician and anatomist Caspar Wistar (1761–1818)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspar_Wistar_(physician)
QuoteCaspar Wistar (September 13, 1761 – January 22, 1818) was an American physician and anatomist

For his teaching at the University of Pennsylvania, he developed a set of anatomical models—human remains preserved by injecting them with wax—to assist with the teaching of anatomy

It was his habit to throw open his house once every week in the winter, and at these gatherings students, citizens, scientists, and travelers met and discussed subjects of interest. These assemblies, celebrated in the annals of Philadelphia under the title of Wistar parties, were continued long after his death by other residents of that city.

Wistar was a friend of Thomas Jefferson, with whom he worked to identify bones of the megalonyx and through whom he sent Meriwether Lewis some recommendations for scientific inquiry on the Lewis and Clark expedition

Could be nothing, but lots of stuff there that looks up Lynch's street, with old Americana, including an old president, and examining death/decay.

Menu

Wow, this is fantastic news. I was beginning to think he'd retired.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 02, 2020, 12:45:16 PM
I might be the odd one out, but I want this to be a brand new non-Peaks show. That's not because I don't like Twin Peaks, I love Twin Peaks, and the revival was so perfect to me. I'm satisfied with that being the end (despite the horror of the ending).

I'm more intrigued to see what Lynch can do with a brand new story and characters.

Same here.

What I really want is an anthology that lets Lynch's favourites (ESPECIALLY Sheryl Lee, who is a fantastic and criminally overlooked actress) play multiple roles[nb]Although I suppose Lynch doesn't need an anthology to do that.[/nb] and show off their range.

But really, I'll take whatever I can get.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 02, 2020, 12:41:03 PM
Yes man. I really hope this is somehow a Peaks spin-off/continuation/HAPPY ENDING

Fucking hell. modern tv has ruined you.

It's not superman origins.

BlodwynPig

bit harsh.

happy to have a new twin peaks - but more interested in a new show

Wisteria reminds me of Wisteria Lane and fucking Desperate Housewives. that's why I am grumpy

Custard

I can imagine many TP fans would like to see some kind of "happy" resolution to Coop and Laura apparently being stuck in some nightmare alternate dimension, so I don't really get what you're on about. I never really do though, so what's new

Ahhhhh. Ice burn!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 02, 2020, 07:55:47 PM
I can imagine many TP fans would like to see some kind of "happy" resolution to Coop and Laura apparently being stuck in some nightmare alternate dimension, so I don't really get what you're on about. I never really do though, so what's new

Ahhhhh. Ice burn!

Not another one. Ok, if you must. FUCK OFF PRICK

Wet Blanket

Netlix putting out What Did Jack Do was a clue they was collaboration in the air - although I notice Wild at Heart and Blue Velvet have disappeared from the platform.

Count me among those hoping for something new. I thought The Return wrapped things up beautifully, insofar as they could ever be properly wrapped up, and so many more integral cast members have died since that was made.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Wasn't Wisteria the name of the street on tedious milf cul de sac drama Desperate Housewives?

Damaged by association for me.

Menu

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 03, 2020, 11:59:15 PM
Wasn't Wisteria the name of the street on tedious milf cul de sac drama Desperate Housewives?

Damaged by association for me.

Blodwyn Pig said the same thing! Dreadful show that. I lasted about 16 minutes of the first episode.

QDRPHNC

Something interesting on Reddit today, which may tie in with the 13 mini-movies rumour:

Lynch copyrighted 13 episodes of a new project titled 'UNRECORDED NIGHT' in June

QuoteIn June of this year David Lynch registered copyrights, in the category "Dramatic Works," for 13 "episodes" of something titled UNRECORDED NIGHT. (h/t @warmquietnight on Twitter.) Could this be the actual title of his new Netflix project? Is it tied to TWIN PEAKS?

Curiously, the number of episodes of UNRECORDED NIGHT copyrighted, 13, matches the report by u/canthaveit back in February that Lynch would be making a project for Netflix tentatively titled or code-named WISTERIA that would be comprised of "13 mini-movies."

Equally curious, the date that u/canthaveit posted their WISTERIA report, February 23, 2020, happens to be the exact same date that Lynch made an updated CA corporate filing for Twin Peaks Productions, Inc., listing him (rather than Mark Frost) as its CEO.

Mister Six

It's an anagram of I, WISE RAT.

Ratatouille spin-off confirmed!

Custard

Of course it won't happen, but it'd be great if no details were revealed about this until the night it airs. What an event that'd be

I don't mind if this is more Peaks or a new thing. Either will obviously be great. Can't say I wouldn't punch the air if it opened on that scream, though

This is massively exciting. Cue months of speculation and a slow drip of information, like the build to TP

Inspector Norse

Mister Six

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 04, 2020, 05:44:38 PM
Can't say I wouldn't punch the air if it opened on that scream, though

I... don't know. The absolute desolation and confusion of that final scene really made the show for me, and I wouldn't want that to be lost.

Also I don't know why anyone thinks a continuation of Twin Peaks would wrap things up happily rather than just be another bewildering headfuck.

Custard

Well, true. Plus I don't really see how it could end in any "happy" way, apart from Coop getting back and taking Diane for a fag and a coffee

Thursday

It's the difficulty, obviously a happy ending for Twin Peaks, wouldn't be right, I know it would be shit, and yet I feel like I still want to see it.

non capisco

The closing moments of Fire Walk With Me are perversely as close to a 'happy' ending as Twin Peaks ever had.

Chalk me down as another one who really doesn't want Wisteria to be a continuation of Twin Peaks. I think the ending we got is as close to perfect as possible.