Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:02:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

020210us Th1ngs

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2021, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This thread title...

...is a gobsmack conveyed
...decrees that your dad will ejaculate but once through his human male penis, and be gone
...cinderella's tits.  just her absolute fucking tits
I BET YOU DO DO-DO YOU DOODLE OLD DOOBEN I BET YOU DOOBY DO
...is renowned for rotisserying a robot grief dog within its own grave
wap wap Wap Wap WApWApWAPWWAPWAPWAPWAP
BATON DAVID
OTHER

pigamus

No it's Greek for "protractor"

touchingcloth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 03, 2021, 01:41:44 PMThe first commercial helicopters were in the 1940s, I believe, although they'd spent ages playing around and doing autogyros before then, so it's a bit confusing. I just think it's amusing someone posting a photo from 1937 and then captioning everything in the photo "X in 1937".

Yeah, I didn't think there was an overlap with the age of airships.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 03, 2021, 07:18:19 AMLoved seeing a bit of the old trans Atlantic telegraph cable

NoSleep

Playtex were a latex company.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Replies From View on December 03, 2021, 04:44:44 PM
Seeing a piece of maritime history shouldn't give you a double Polaroid.

Dusty Substance

Ragdoll cats are an actual specific breed of cats. I'd always thought it was a more polite term for a mongrel (ie: mixed breed) cat.

Lordofthefiles

"Tangerines" are from "Tangiers" in Morocco.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on December 10, 2021, 01:44:17 PM"Tangerines" are from "Tangiers" in Morocco.

I bet Joe Orton used to pop him in his mouth while wanking/being wanked off.

touchingcloth

The UK has a Secretary of State for Levelling Up. For fuck's sake.

Sebastian Cobb

Secretary of State for that sort of nonsense gives me hope.

Can't wait to be Secretary of State for BOFA.

Mobius

Not the right thread for this question but couldn't find the forum help subforum thingy

How do you search on this forum again? Google site:cookdandbombd or something?

I'm trying to find old Demon Souls threads but instead I found this website saying we were bad for making fun of 9/11

Ferris

Put this into Google

"Site:cookdandbombd.co.uk demon souls"

Mobius

Cheers mate, there's a "More results from www.cookdandbombd.co.uk" button which I'd missed when trying to search before. Sorted!

there's only 1 thread about Demon Souls no wonder I couldn't find any

touchingcloth

All of the threads on here involve demon souls 😂

touchingcloth

6/8 should not exist as a time signature in music given that there's a 3/4. Simplify those expressions, arseholes.

olliebean

6/8 is not the same as 3/4.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on December 13, 2021, 12:03:42 PM6/8 is not the same as 3/4.

6/8 simplifies to 3/4. Change the speed of the metronome, maybe?

Ferris

The reason you have sharps and flats in music (like, why have an A# and a Bb when they refer to the same note?) is so you can use one of every letter in each key, but if you're doing say the key of D you already have G so you use F# (instead of Gb) to shoehorn an F into proceedings.

I've always wondered but never bothered to check. The actual answer doesn't make much sense (like... who cares if you use all the letters or not? It's not fucking scrabble) but at least now I know.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 13, 2021, 12:44:52 PMNot sure if joking, but:

https://www.schoolofcomposition.com/what-is-the-difference-between-3-4-and-6-8-time/

QuoteThere are 2 main differences between 3/4 and 6/8: the number of beats in every bar and  the value of those beats. In 3/4, we get three quarter note beats whereas in 6/8, we get two dotted quarter note beats.

That's my issue. A beat is defined by tempo, so a tune in 6/8 is identical to one in 3/4 with a different tempo, no? Unless I'm missing something and a "beat" is defined outside of the music.

Sonny_Jim

It's to do with the way it's played.  You'll have a greater emphasis when playing on the 6th beat, instead of the 3rd. See below

So poo-poo-poo-poo-poo-Pee

(Or at least that's how I think it works, I'm no musician)

EDIT:

QuoteIn 3/4, we get three quarter note beats in every bar, meaning that the strong beat occurs once every 3 quarter note beats:
In 6/8, we get two dotted quarter note beats in every bar, meaning that the strong beat occurs once every 2 dotted quarter note beats:

Pseudopath

I find that the easiest way of explaining the difference between 3/4 and 6/8 is the song America from West Side Story. The first six syllables are in 6/8 with stresses on the 1st and 4th beat (I like to be in A-), whereas the last three syllables are in 3/4 time and are evenly stressed (mer-i-ca):

Sonny_Jim

'Carry on up the Khyber' is a pun about anal sex.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pseudopath on December 13, 2021, 01:34:37 PMI find that the easiest way of explaining the difference between 3/4 and 6/8 is the song America from West Side Story. The first six syllables are in 6/8 with stresses on the 1st and 4th beat (I like to be in A-), whereas the last three syllables are in 3/4 time and are evenly stressed (mer-i-ca):

Couldn't you write them both in the same time signature but switch between whether you're using full or half notes? Changing time signature mid-line would seem to be a more complicated way of achieving the same result.

Write in 6/8 in America
Or in 3/4 in America
Both ways will do in America
Double or halve in America

Also...

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 13, 2021, 01:23:40 PMI'm no musician

...applies to me as well. But I understand fractions.

Sonny_Jim

Use an online metronome and listen to 3/4 Vs 6/8 and the difference will be abundantly clear

olliebean

Quote from: Ferris on December 13, 2021, 01:01:25 PMThe reason you have sharps and flats in music (like, why have an A# and a Bb when they refer to the same note?) is so you can use one of every letter in each key, but if you're doing say the key of D you already have G so you use F# (instead of Gb) to shoehorn an F into proceedings.

I've always wondered but never bothered to check. The actual answer doesn't make much sense (like... who cares if you use all the letters or not? It's not fucking scrabble) but at least now I know.

A# and Bb are not the same note. They're the same when you play them on an equal-tempered instrument like a piano - where all the notes are just close approximations of the actual frequencies - but not on an instrument like a violin, where an experienced player will play them at slightly different frequencies.

Ferris

Really?! Well we're in the right thread for it I suppose.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 13, 2021, 02:25:30 PMUse an online metronome and listen to 3/4 Vs 6/8 and the difference will be abundantly clear

If you change the tempo, they sound the same. One's a fast dash-dot-dot, the other is a the same but slower. Given that a "beat" isn't some ineffable quality, why not say "this music is in 3/4, but the tempo it uses is X bpm", then anything written in 6/8 could just be written in 3/4 with a different value of X?

touchingcloth

Ooooh, given the mentions of A# and Bb not being the same thing AND West Side Story in the same thread, what's the name for wonky notes like in Mambo?

Starting at ~2.05 in that video, the brass instruments play slightly different notes to each other. My thoughts are that it's designed to evoke an amateur high school band and the musical instruction might be something like "don't quite hit the notes as written" given that a lot of brass instruments can have their notes infinitely varied in the way that a keyboard instrument can't (in the same way that if it were played on guitars you might tell the guitarists to tune their instruments ever so slightly apart from each other).

I asked my partner if she thought that that was the point of the bum notes in that song, and she said "there's no bum notes, just discordant ones", but presumably the brass instruments I can hear clashing with each other on the same melody are actually playing the exact same piece of written sheet music?!

touchingcloth

And on the 3/4 versus 6/8 point, I'm not saying one way is better than an another, I just don't understand why you would choose one over the other when the variables of tempo and note duration would seem to make that moot. It's like with how in photography you can create equivalent exposures by halving the shutter speed while doubling the size of the aperture, but the reason you wouldn't necessarily do that is that changing the shutter speed alters how blurry moving subjects become, and changing the aperture alters the depth of field. I'm missing something about why one of those two time signatures might be better than the other, given that you can change tempo and/or note length to get an equivalent result.