Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Scampi fries. Crushed. On a fish finger butty.

Yes.

Glebe

"Scampi flavoured froiiees!"

Sebastian Cobb

Walkers have got some festive flavours in. I spotted Roast Potatoes, Mince Pie and Pigs in Blankets in Tescos. Roast Potatoes and Pigs in Blankets both strike me as very half-arsed, I bet the latter are barely different to Smokey Bacon and Mince Pie sounds frankly vile in crisp form.

I will report on the Pigs in Blankets shortly.

imitationleather

Pssssh... If I want roast potatoes, mince(d) pies or pigs in blankets I'll go to the shop, get the ingredients and cook them myself.

Kids today taking shortcuts and having them in crisp form just shows how lazy we've become as a society imho. I fear for our future, I really do.

pancreas

Quote from: imitationleather on December 08, 2021, 02:08:15 PMPssssh... If I want roast potatoes, mince(d) pies or pigs in blankets I'll go to the shop, get the ingredients and cook them myself.

bollocks you will.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: pancreas on December 08, 2021, 02:09:27 PMbollocks you will.

For "shop" he means "Greggs" and for "cook" he means "reheat in the microwave".

pancreas

He'd nick it off a drunk in a wetherspoons, more likely.

Ferris

As long as he still microwaves it himself when he gets home it still counts as cooking.

imitationleather

When I want salt and vinegar I never eat a bag of "crisps" claiming to have that flavour like the feckless youth of today do. I put in a little bit of effort and enjoy the results. Half a cup of vinegar in a bowl, seasoned with salt and glugged. Delicious and homemade. So satisfying.

monkfromhavana

I have been impressed by McCoys Fire Pit BBQ crisps. Lots of flavour dust on every crisp, I wouldn't go as far to say that they're hot by any stretch of the imagination, but there is a nice warming feel to them.

Glebe

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 08, 2021, 02:35:05 PMI have been impressed by McCoys Fire Pit BBQ crisps. Lots of flavour dust on every crisp, I wouldn't go as far to say that they're hot by any stretch of the imagination, but there is a nice warming feel to them.

"These fancy modern transatlantic flavours have no moral fibre.
Give me good old fashioned British cheese & onion any day!"

Replies From View

Ohhh these flavour dust sure do crank out maaahh tastebud

shoulders

Any self-respecting 'Fire Pit' crisps would look and taste of ashes and rain.

Fr.Bigley

Is there a crisp that's actually hot n spicy? Not the heatwave doritos, they're shit I mean like hot hot?

amateur

Most hot crisps taste like tomato, I have observed.

Sebastian Cobb

As expected the pig in blanket crisps are barely distinguishable from smokey bacon.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on December 08, 2021, 03:36:25 PMIs there a crisp that's actually hot n spicy? Not the heatwave doritos, they're shit I mean like hot hot?

There was a few years back, you'd get them in a big session bag and were hot hot. Never saw them in any shop I frequented, but a guy at work brought some in and I think I was the only one who ate them. Can't remember who made them or what they were called, or where he bought them from.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on December 08, 2021, 03:36:25 PMIs there a crisp that's actually hot n spicy? Not the heatwave doritos, they're shit I mean like hot hot?

I got some habanero flavour crisps from Lupe Pintos, a Mexican/general spicy foods shop in Edinburgh. Can't remember the brand, may have been imported. Bastarding hot.

shoulders

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 08, 2021, 04:41:19 PMAs expected the pig in blanket crisps are barely distinguishable from smokey bacon.

Aye, but they know they just have to put that on the packet and easy dollars.

Who in the crisp industry has the balls to make Snout n Trotters flavour crisps with a big pic of some feet and a sow's ol' schnozz on the packet?

Chollis

Any especially nice brand of tortilla chips out there? Want plain/salted cos ill be straight dippin. Getting my dunk on for Christmas!! 🤪 😆👊🔥🥔

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 08, 2021, 04:57:40 PMI got some habanero flavour crisps from Lupe Pintos, a Mexican/general spicy foods shop in Edinburgh. Can't remember the brand, may have been imported. Bastarding hot.

There's one of them near us, off I shall fuck! Thanks CMP!

buttgammon

Mackie's do some nice scotch bonnet flavour crisps. They're quite hot, but not the level of heat of their namesake.

ZoyzaSorris

There was one of those artisan pub crisp brands that did a jalapeño one that was genuinely a nice little kick up the Harris but don't know if still available

mothman

The M&S Collection Prosciutto & Formaggio crisps are extraordinary. I've never tasted such cheesy crisps before. They don't just taste of cheese, they taste like cheese.

Fr.Bigley

Tory crisp sounds like to me. Tory boy.

gib

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on December 08, 2021, 07:15:10 PMThere was one of those artisan pub crisp brands that did a jalapeño one that was genuinely a nice little kick up the Harris but don't know if still available

Pipers?

Malcy

Co-Op Pigs in Blankets - disappointing

Mackies Boxing Day Curry - even more disappointing, roast chicken with a hint of Heinz curry sauce.

stonkers

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on December 08, 2021, 07:15:10 PMThere was one of those artisan pub crisp brands that did a jalapeño one that was genuinely a nice little kick up the Harris but don't know if still available

Possibly Real Crisps? Havn't seen them in a while but Amazon claims they're still available.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Malcy on December 10, 2021, 07:02:05 PMMackies Boxing Day Curry - even more disappointing, roast chicken with a hint of Heinz curry sauce.

Glad I didn't bother with those.

Tesco Bratwurst flavour - Taste like a salty as fuck ham flavour with a bit of caraway or maybe dill in the background. Heavy going.

Seem to remember 'Really Ruthless' crisps from back in the day being the hottest I've tried. Could just be that those days were well before I upped my chilli tolerance a fair old whack.

Was thinking earlier that a garlic flavour of crisp could be nice and why have I never seen any. Quick look reveals my idea isn't new. Any good ones about? Sainbos apparently do one but our nearest is 100 miles away, so I won't be trying those.

Malcy

I got some hot crisps from Poundland a while back. I had a good handful of or two before giving up so took them to my brother who had about 3 and drank a full pint of milk and a full pint of water minutes after.

Took them into his Uni and handed them out and watched the fallout! They were in a black packet i think with a skull and bones and a food version of a 'Parental Advisory Explicit Lyrics' logo i think.

Grabbed a pack of West Country Cheddar & Red Onion Co-Op crisps that they are doing in the £1.70 each or 2 for £2 (no-brainer). Cracking, and I'm not huge on Cheese & Onion.