News:

It's still under construction, so please bear with me


High Quality Ebay Listings

Started by GoblinAhFuckScary, February 11, 2021, 05:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroRobot


Quote from: RetroRobot on March 27, 2021, 12:13:40 AM


Never forget.
WTF. Are they being forced to sell all their toys on eBay?

RetroRobot

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 27, 2021, 04:35:07 PM
WTF. Are they being forced to sell all their toys on eBay?

Yeah, it was a listing where the mother had a long ramble about how the beyblades had scuffed up the bathtub.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Ray Travez on March 26, 2021, 01:55:46 PM
Heh, I know exactly what you mean. I can't say what I listed this morning, as it would be easily searchable, but it's pretty close to the bottom of the barrel. For some, it should probably be in a bag marked 'FOR INCINERATION ONLY'.


Ha, well, emboldened by this virtual fist-bump of solidarity on the shite-selling front, here are some bin-worthy things that I've sold

*All the noughties band memorabilia from my son's old bedroom - festival wrist bands, ticket stubs, set lists, flyers. Obviously there's some collectible stuff in there (Blur, Libertines) but would you think anyone would want a Hot Hot Heat poster or a Reuben set list? They do.

*My horribly worn-out old cycling and running gear. People will buy vintage Nike and nineties cycling jerseys even in unwearable condition.

*Empty bags and boxes. People will pay top dollar for designer packaging but old carrier bags sell, even something like a Tesco Bag for Life if it's maybe promoting a particular film franchise.

*Corks. Get them from your friends or a restaurant if you don't drink a lot of non-screw-top wine yourself. Crafters buy them.

I'm lucky enough to be time-rich and I actually quite enjoy selling things people consider unsaleable trash. I realise if I were trying to do this for a living, I'd be earning about 90p an hour so it's unfeasible as a business model. But for me, it's free money.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 28, 2021, 05:55:09 PM

*Corks. Get them from your friends or a restaurant if you don't drink a lot of non-screw-top wine yourself. Crafters buy them.

In my old flat we used to throw our corks in to the unused fireplace. I shoved them on ebay when we were moving out (after cleaning off the toenail clippings that I'd also tip in the unused fireplace) and they were bought by someone whose address was Head Electrician of a major London theatre. Always wondered what they were used for.

Empty whisky boxes and perfume bottles go for a bit apparently but never bothered myself.

chveik

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 28, 2021, 06:25:55 PM
In my old flat we used to throw our corks in to the unused fireplace. I shoved them on ebay when we were moving out (after cleaning off the toenail clippings that I'd also tip in the unused fireplace) and they were bought by someone whose address was Head Electrician of a major London theatre. Always wondered what they were used for.

aren't they used for insulation?

Ray Travez

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 28, 2021, 05:55:09 PM
Ha, well, emboldened by this virtual fist-bump of solidarity on the shite-selling front, here are some bin-worthy things that I've sold

*All the noughties band memorabilia from my son's old bedroom - festival wrist bands, ticket stubs, set lists, flyers. Obviously there's some collectible stuff in there (Blur, Libertines) but would you think anyone would want a Hot Hot Heat poster or a Reuben set list? They do.

*My horribly worn-out old cycling and running gear. People will buy vintage Nike and nineties cycling jerseys even in unwearable condition.

*Empty bags and boxes. People will pay top dollar for designer packaging but old carrier bags sell, even something like a Tesco Bag for Life if it's maybe promoting a particular film franchise.

*Corks. Get them from your friends or a restaurant if you don't drink a lot of non-screw-top wine yourself. Crafters buy them.

I'm lucky enough to be time-rich and I actually quite enjoy selling things people consider unsaleable trash. I realise if I were trying to do this for a living, I'd be earning about 90p an hour so it's unfeasible as a business model. But for me, it's free money.

Always like reading your posts about ebay selling. I'm in a similar position to you, time-rich (but cash-poor) so I'm able to spend time searching and listing stuff. Been doing it about twenty years; I get a buzz from getting stuff to people who will use it, who will enjoy it. A few months back I sold an offcut of a motorcycle seat foam- about 3 and a half feet by one foot, that I found in a skip. Didn't make any profit on it, just didn't want to see it go to landfill when someone could use it.

I've read that crafters like corks and toilet rolls and other stuff. Never seem to have enough of those things to make it worth my while.

My latest wheeze is finding hoovers in skips, and breaking them for parts. Not sure if it's going to pay off. Hope so, it's pretty disgusting cleaning other people's cat crap out of a vacuum tank.

Other stuff I got out of skips lately- sandwich board- on for £20, not sold yet. Pair of cycle shoes, just sold for £22. A thing that looked a bit like a chimney pot, sold for £3. Seem to be always listing something.

I have a memory of selling some questionable stuff, but I can't remember what it was now. Back when I lived in Brighton, and there was easy pickings from skips in the right area.

Today I sold a fox skull that I found in the woods. Cleaned it up, glued the teeth back in and sent the eyes separately in a jiffy bag (joke, obviously... eyes were long gone)


Ray Travez

that's fantastic. I love the desperation in the last five words, makes it sound like the thing has somehow become sentient

(and who's to say it hasn't)

Ray Travez

for when six copies of Bootie Call are just not enough


Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on April 07, 2021, 04:05:57 PM


The first law of conservation of Stathams means that Statham can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another.

Ray Travez

be fast that thing wouldn't it though? as it hunted you down through the streets of Radcliffe

icehaven

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on April 07, 2021, 04:05:57 PM


The ornaments you see in the windows of high street fruit machine arcades have let themselves go.

kalowski

James brown face mask

I think this was taken from his dead body
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124683611331

Quote from: kalowski on April 17, 2021, 09:06:33 AM
James brown face mask

I think this was taken from his dead body
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124683611331

that's incredible oh my god



Quote.......Rare


studpuppet

I finally found this (I managed to save a PDF of a scanned printout of it many years ago). This was the zenith of early-period eBay mad listings. The syntax, the CAPITAL LETTERS, the invocation of the Daily Express, the belief that it was somehow worth more because it failed to make its reserve price at auction, and a couple of yahoos bidding and then retracting on a previous selling attempt culminating in the starting bid price. A joy from beginning to end:








In fetching this out from an old hard disk to upload, I thought I'd check what might have become of it, and found this:

https://www.paulfrasercollectibles.com/products/the-princess-diana-wedding-dress-fabric-collection

QuoteLimited to an individually numbered edition of just 50.

Ah.

buzby

Quote from: kalowski on April 17, 2021, 09:06:33 AM
James brown face mask

I think this was taken from his dead body
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124683611331
I know this is a few months late, but I suspect it was a life casting made to make a latex mask for his stunt double in the 2002 Jackie Chan film The Tuxedo - specifically for this scene.

that's so incredible studpuppet. properly cackled reading it via mark williams voice


A fun one for the guitarists.

Here is a Les Paul owned by a relative no mark, where the seller is ignoring all the advice and valuations of other people in order to justify it being a 1959 model. All the stuff that matter to serious collectors like original wiring and tuners he says make no difference. The fact that this top didn't exist in 1959 means it must have been recapped. On top of all that he thinks it's worth sixty thousand quid. This is the fourth relisting I've seen since I was tipped off to it.

https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=324659809525&category=33034&pm=1&ds=0&t=1619614475000&ver=0&cspheader=1


Ferris

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on September 27, 2021, 02:55:10 PM
A fun one for the guitarists.

Here is a Les Paul owned by a relative no mark, where the seller is ignoring all the advice and valuations of other people in order to justify it being a 1959 model. All the stuff that matter to serious collectors like original wiring and tuners he says make no difference. The fact that this top didn't exist in 1959 means it must have been recapped. On top of all that he thinks it's worth sixty thousand quid. This is the fourth relisting I've seen since I was tipped off to it.

https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=324659809525&category=33034&pm=1&ds=0&t=1619614475000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Brilliant.

QuoteI also believe that  if someone changes the machine heads for superior quality ones, it can only make it a better guitar, right ?[nb]Ferris Note #1: no[/nb]  All the nonsense about, its not the original solder or toggle switch or connecting wire I believe is for the money maker Cartels that operate and collude. Much like, I believe the way some auction houses operate[nb]Ferris Note #2: he wants to save some of this for the Masons thread[/nb].
...
I have been reliably told by a classical musician "wood expert"[nb]I bet you have you dirty old etc[/nb] that the type of tree and the part of the tree used [make all the difference] ... A short bit of wire from the pickup inside, a resistor, or a plastic pick-up surround won't make any difference to the sound[nb]Ferris Note #3: oh dear oh dear[/nb]. Strange isn't it ? ... Some pick-ups sound better than others I guess[nb]Ferris Note #4: good on him for being the bigger man and accepting that the electronics on an electric guitar may alter the electrical signal that goes to the amp electronically[/nb].

Pancake

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 28, 2021, 05:55:09 PM
Ha, well, emboldened by this virtual fist-bump of solidarity on the shite-selling front, here are some bin-worthy things that I've sold

*All the noughties band memorabilia from my son's old bedroom - festival wrist bands, ticket stubs, set lists, flyers. Obviously there's some collectible stuff in there (Blur, Libertines) but would you think anyone would want a Hot Hot Heat poster or a Reuben set list? They do.

*My horribly worn-out old cycling and running gear. People will buy vintage Nike and nineties cycling jerseys even in unwearable condition.

*Empty bags and boxes. People will pay top dollar for designer packaging but old carrier bags sell, even something like a Tesco Bag for Life if it's maybe promoting a particular film franchise.

*Corks. Get them from your friends or a restaurant if you don't drink a lot of non-screw-top wine yourself. Crafters buy them.

I'm lucky enough to be time-rich and I actually quite enjoy selling things people consider unsaleable trash. I realise if I were trying to do this for a living, I'd be earning about 90p an hour so it's unfeasible as a business model. But for me, it's free money.

I've got a drumstick signed by Hot Hot Heat, my old flatmate was one of those people who would harass any band she saw and they probably threw setlists and sweat rags at her to get rid

jobotic

Wish i'd kept the can of Red Stripe that Mr Anus from the Happy Flowers gave me. It's probably worth as much as any other empty lager can by now!

Ray Travez

slightly off-topic, but this made me laugh on the ebay sellers' group on reddit-

QuoteI got a really special person the other day who couldn't figure out that they were on an auction site. I come out of watching Dune to see a whole bunch of bids in a row from the same person and a nasty message asking why I kept raising the price every time they tried to buy it.

Ferris

Quote from: Pancake on October 26, 2021, 10:42:04 AM
I've got a drumstick signed by Hot Hot Heat, my old flatmate was one of those people who would harass any band she saw and they probably threw setlists and sweat rags at her to get rid

I have signed 2 autographs after playing (fairly large to be fair) shows. Thought "who the fuck wants this?" but did it because I was asked.

Like buying a lottery ticket innit? "I saw Paul McCartney back when he was shit" type of thing.

mothman

I own a Nazi handkerchief.

No, really. A Nazi-Fascist one, even; it celebrates the pre-war pact between Germany and Italy, and has the logos of both parties on. A distant relative was in Italy (I think) when it was signed, and presumably picked it up as a souvenir. After she died in the early 80s, it ended up in my possession.

I didn't think a lot about what it represented at the time. It got chucked into a box and has remained there ever since.

I don't know what to do with it. As a historian by training, I don't want to just throw it away - it's a historical artefact. I've also considered selling it, but I don't like the idea of selling it to some crypto fascist or Nazi or even Nazi fetishist.

famethrowa

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 27, 2021, 01:42:48 AM
I have signed 2 autographs after playing (fairly large to be fair) shows. Thought "who the fuck wants this?" but did it because I was asked.

Like buying a lottery ticket innit? "I saw Paul McCartney back when he was shit" type of thing.

Even worse, I've had to sign autographs after playing in tribute shows. It's like "well who the fuck am I??"

Ferris

Quote from: famethrowa on October 27, 2021, 03:41:59 AM
Even worse, I've had to sign autographs after playing in tribute shows. It's like "well who the fuck am I??"

Did you emulate the signature of whatever cover act you were playing in?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: mothman on October 27, 2021, 02:49:06 AM
I don't know what to do with it. As a historian by training, I don't want to just throw it away - it's a historical artefact. I've also considered selling it, but I don't like the idea of selling it to some crypto fascist or Nazi or even Nazi fetishist.

Is there not some reputable museum or archive that would take it?