Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

On The Hour on BBC Sounds

Started by Starlit, February 25, 2021, 09:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starlit

The first two episodes are up now...

Midas

I've noticed that they're only re-broadcasting the first five episodes of Series One. I haven't re-listened yet but it also caught my attention that these episodes are generally a few minutes longer than my mp3 files. Do these re-broadcast versions differ at all to the ones that come from the CDs?

McChesney Duntz

The sixth episode of the first series was a Christmas special, so that might explain that. And it says 30 minutes on the show page, but the episodes all run about 25 minutes, which I believe was the correct broadcast length. (EDIT: just checked my mp3 of S1E2 against the Sounds version, and they both run exactly 24:16.)

My understanding was that the episodes on the series one CDs were as broadcast, but the ones on the series two CDs were the edits that the Beeb made after the fact for later rebroadcasts (somewhere around 2 minutes shorter) and that they junked the originals, meaning the only versions of the full-length s2 shows available for a long time had the edited portions reinstated using notably lower-quality sources. Of course, I now have much better sounding cassettes of the original s2 broadcasts that I got hold of via eBay a couple years back that I'd be willing to copy and digitize once I have access again to the proper equipment, but nobody seems to be interested in that...

13 schoolyards

Well, you know, I'm definitely interested.

(thanks also for clearing up what was edited - I've been trying to remember which episodes were cut for ages)

McChesney Duntz

Well, cool. Once they let me back into the radio station I DJ at and I can get at their cassette machines again, I'll do some transferring and share with whoever's interested.

muddybug

I'm interested in that as well !!

Midas

I've looked at the recent re-broadcast versions I recorded with Get_iPlayer and it's just continuity guff at the end of the episodes which made the runtimes seem longer than expected.

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on March 17, 2021, 05:15:21 PM
Well, cool. Once they let me back into the radio station I DJ at and I can get at their cassette machines again, I'll do some transferring and share with whoever's interested.

Sounds good, I'm interested too :)

Pinball

I'm also interested. This may have already been shared years ago though? Perhaps not at the same quality. I've got everything this site ever shared, so happy to compare notes if anyone wants to contact me. Send an SAE to Old Fart, London etc.

pissfoam

Did you ever get round to doing this, or has anyone else reconstructed the undedited series 2 episodes?

McChesney Duntz

As soon as time and equipment permits, I'll get this task completed. Might not be very soon, but keep pulling on my coat 'til it's done...