Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: spaghetamine on October 21, 2021, 11:56:19 AM
I must admit I had never heard of Sedaris prior to this but he came across as a thoroughly amusing and likable guy, interesting to hear his distaste for the word queer as an identity label - think it was fair game for Buckles to point out that Sedaris's examples were the exception rather than the rule though

I liked that bit despite being horrifically woke myself. Adam was right but Sedaris wasn't exactly wrong. As a bi/pan guy, I'm glad of 'queer' as a concept but as an older gay man Sedaris is well within his rights not to like or accept it for various reasons. Going around being angry about it isn't useful for anyone though, which actually made me laugh.

I was amused by how the tales of his own asshole behaviour (re: hygiene vs "make some fucking money" and being untroubled by his dad's death beyond not being able to mine him for material anymore) being followed immediately by how terrible it is when other people are assholes (those kids and their fathers) with no sense of self-awareness at all. For some reason, this is very funny imho and not at all awful.

I do like Sedaris a lot so perhaps I'm too forgiving. Short humour essays just aren't well enough accepted as a 'thing' these days, but at least we have his in a big way.

Icehaven

I've done
Quote from: Mobbd on October 22, 2021, 01:36:02 PM
Short humour essays just aren't well enough accepted as a 'thing' these days, but at least we have his in a big way.

Yep. I run (well I used to pre-Covid) a weekly reading group at my work at which we generally read short stories, I've used Sedaris essays loads of times and they usually go down really well, but I struggle to find similar stuff.

Thosworth

Quote from: Mobbd on October 22, 2021, 01:36:02 PMI was amused by how the tales of his own asshole behaviour (re: hygiene vs "make some fucking money" and being untroubled by his dad's death beyond not being able to mine him for material anymore) being followed immediately by how terrible it is when other people are assholes (those kids and their fathers) with no sense of self-awareness at all. For some reason, this is very funny imho and not at all awful.

Exactly the same thing happened directly before his rant against the word 'queer', which had been his castigation of a woman taking offence at the term 'committed suicide'. "I'll use whatever term I like for my sister...How can you possibly use that term for being tall?"

(And yes, funny not awful)

Twit 2

I don't think it's hypocrisy. Each of these terms can be considered on their own; they're not all equivalent.

Twit 2

In the description of the new one there's a link to some stand up on gender, and sure enough it's the laziest, hackiest shit imaginable. "I support you guys!" Not enough not to mock the idea of a gender spectrum. Haven't listened to the ep yet. I wonder if cancel culture gets mentioned?

Twit 2

Good episode. Nice to hear some talk about serious issues; Buxton handled it sensitively, I thought. Harriott deserves his success, although I found his stand up a bit basic/Live at the Apollo-ish.

Icehaven

Haven't listened to it yet but Harriott comes from where I live at the moment, which is mentioned in the blurb so presumably it comes up in the episode.

Pink Gregory

Thought it was Ainsley, realised only now that it's Darren

Pink Gregory

Come on, when it comes to famous Harriotts you all know who the mind goes to first.

It's a very good episode.

Should point out this was before I downloaded/looked at the actual pod.  I didn't listen and think it was Ainsley.

Twit 2

Pink Gregory

"He didn't say a single thing about Ready Steady Cook, maybe the fame got to his head and he now considers it beneath him, what an interview..."

kevinq

I've noticed myself saying "...mate" in that half-exasperated half-sympathetic way Buxton does. It's too versatile an interjection.

madhair60

Quote from: kevinq on November 02, 2021, 07:12:33 PM
I've noticed myself saying "...mate" in that half-exasperated half-sympathetic way Buxton does. It's too versatile an interjection.

Yes and he stole it from me, on here.

Quote from: kevinq on November 02, 2021, 07:12:33 PM

Mate. Been doing that since the 6 Music show days, mate. Aw, mate.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The latest episode with Julia Davis is pretty good. She and Buckles are friends, so they have a nice rapport, and the stuff about her falling in with the Coogan, Morris and Arthur Mathews (sole creator of Big Train) crowd is interesting.

Davis, by her own admission, doesn't enjoy doing interviews, but she's quite open and relaxed; presumably because she's chatting to a pal while drinking margaritas
Spoiler alert
in a hotel room that stinks of fish
[close]

They acknowledge how seedy that all sounds, of course.

Icehaven

Haven't listened to the new one yet but I'd never heard of Patrick Radden Keefe so I read this

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/02/11/a-loaded-gun

to get an idea of how he writes. It's fascinating stuff, if a bit (for me) overwritten but I'm anticipating him being a really interesting interviewee.

Magnum Valentino

SteveDave

Buckles is the guest interviewer on the latest Sodajerker On Songwriting podcast.

Icehaven

That was really good, definitely going to give Wind Of Change a listen and seek out the big pharma book. I found the bit where he was talking about using devices from fiction in his journalism interesting because that's often something I don't like in non-fiction writing, I think it can give an over stylised, wannabe screenplay-ish feeling to it and suggests embellishment and exaggeration, but at the same time I see what he means about it being a way of drawing you in and setting a scene in a familiar way for readers who aren't already familiar with the story. Horses for courses.
I cringed a bit towards the end when it almost seemed as if Buckles had been googling the origins of "blowing smoke up your arse" while Keefe was still talking, but maybe it was just how it was edited. I hope.

Magnum Valentino

It wouldn't be the first time Adam has not been paying attention to someone while he's been Googling. Very poor form for an interviewer, I think. But he is a great interviewer.

AllisonSays

For me the Keefe book on NI is a bit tasteless in its use of those stylistic tics while talking about a really violent event; inappropriate New Yorker style sheen cast over everything. For comparison I thought Ian Cobain's recent one, Anatomy of a Killing, was much better in using a kind of sharp affectless voice inspired by (I guess) Capote's approach to a similarly dark story with In Cold Blood. I haven't listened to this interview though.

Lost Oliver

Loved the Julia one. Would've liked more on Human Remains but you can't have everything.

Icehaven

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 11, 2021, 11:35:01 AM
It wouldn't be the first time Adam has not been paying attention to someone while he's been Googling. Very poor form for an interviewer, I think. But he is a great interviewer.

He absolutely is, that's why it stuck out. I wouldn't even pass comment if Richard Herring did it.

popcorn

I think it's quite a funny and charming thing to do tbh.

mjwilson

Seeing Dr Buckles on tour tonight. No social distancing in the seating plan so hopefully nobody with plague suits next to me.

Icehaven

popcorn

Broke my heart when Katy Wix said she believes she's statistically less likely to be in another serious car accident because she's already had one - and Adam agreed with her. Unfortunately the coin doesn't remember how many times it's landed heads or tails.

phantom_power

But isn't the chance of getting two heads in a row less than getting one? I know that once you have had the first the odds "reset" as it were but in an event that unlikely it is still pretty unlikely to hit the anti-jackpot twice