The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Probably going to make a tube of myself here, but...

Isn't that what statistically actually means? It's not necessarily reflective of real-world chance - it's an analysis of recorded events measured against what has happened, not what could happen, even though people use it as an indicator of what could happen.

Right? So statistically, yeah, they're right. But that's not reality. It's just fucking numbers.

phantom_power

I think if you took the total population, the number of people who have been in two car accidents is significantly less than those that have been in one, so even though in terms of probability she is wrong, in terms of likelihood (not sure that is the right word exactly) she is right

Or not, probably talking shite


Chudraa

It is true that you are less likely to be in two car crashes than one, but only because getting in a car crash has a probability less than 1.

If you roll 2 dice, you have a 1/36 chance to roll 2 sixes. However, if you have already rolled a six, your odds of rolling a six is one in six, just as if the first roll had never happen.

Thus, Katy Wix's odds, statistically or otherwise, of being in a 2 car crashes are now the same somebody's chance of being in one car crash if they haven't yet been in one. Of course, she may have affected the odds by adjusting her behaviour.

As pointed out, this is the gambler's fallacy.

popcorn

Quote from: phantom_power on November 19, 2021, 10:53:01 AMI think if you took the total population, the number of people who have been in two car accidents is significantly less than those that have been in one, so even though in terms of probability she is wrong, in terms of likelihood (not sure that is the right word exactly) she is right

Or not, probably talking shite

A more depressing way of looking at it is that, having already been in one serious car accident, she is now much more likely than the average person to become a person who has been in two serious car accidents. Because she's already got the first one out of the way.

PlanktonSideburns

All the statistics stuff does not take in how having the accident has affected the driver, will it change how they approach driving, making them more cautious, or more reckless, Make then drive less and so on. This is and impossibly complex thing to calculate, but leaving it out renders the statistics stuff pretty irrelevant I think

popcorn

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 19, 2021, 11:35:28 AMAll the statistics stuff does not take in how having the accident has affected the driver, will it change how they approach driving, making them more cautious, or more reckless, Make then drive less and so on. This is and impossibly complex thing to calculate, but leaving it out renders the statistics stuff pretty irrelevant I think

It's true, having the first accident might well make her behave differently and therefore reduce her chances of having a second.

However, that's pretty clearly not what she and Adam were saying when they were talking about it.

phantom_power

And being more cautious and nervy doesn't necessarily mean you are less likely to have an accident. Quite the opposite in some cases I would think

olliebean

Quote from: popcorn on November 19, 2021, 12:04:50 PMIt's true, having the first accident might well make her behave differently and therefore reduce her chances of having a second.

However, that's pretty clearly not what she and Adam were saying when they were talking about it.

If she really thinks she's less likely to have a second accident, it might have the reverse effect - i.e., she takes less care because she thinks the odds are more in her favour now.

turnstyle

Nice, will give this one a listen.

Has anyone read/listened to her book? I mean, I'm sure someone has (yes, even statistically, you nerds), but I mean anyone on here.

beanheadmcginty

I took the accident probability comments to be a deliberately fallacious misunderstanding, in much the same way that people say "it's one of my five a day!" when they drink a pint of cider or eat a plate of chips.

boinks

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 19, 2021, 06:34:14 PMI took the accident probability comments to be a deliberately fallacious misunderstanding, in much the same way that people say "it's one of my five a day!" when they drink a pint of cider or eat a plate of chips.

Agreed, same here! Also, she said she doesn't drive - so it's not about whether she's more/less reckless/nervous etc either.

icehaven

November 20, 2021, 03:20:51 PM #462 Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 03:49:42 PM by icehaven
Really striking how different Buckle's voice is now when it switches to the old XFM clip.
Also it was a bit off of the director of the WLIIA rehash (Dan something?) to send him a snippy email after what he said to Joe about the audition. He wasn't slagging off the show or anyone except himself for not being able to improvise and saying what a terrifying process it was.

Mobbd

Quote from: icehaven on November 20, 2021, 03:20:51 PMReally striking how different Buckle's voice is now when it switches to the old XFM clip.
Also it was a bit off of the director of the WLIIA rehash (Dan something?) to send him a snippy email after what he said to Joe about the audition. He wasn't slagging off the show or anyone except himself for not being able to improvise and saying what a terrifying process it was.

I thought that too. Maybe Buckles cut something more objectionable for this broadcast so as not to repeat it.

I liked this blast from the last segment very much though. Hope he does more of that. I liked his "toilet of time" jingle too!

thenoise

Quote from: popcorn on November 19, 2021, 10:33:07 AMBroke my heart when Katy Wix said she believes she's statistically less likely to be in another serious car accident because she's already had one - and Adam agreed with her. Unfortunately the coin doesn't remember how many times it's landed heads or tails.

Does the car remember? How about if it's a smart car?

Twit 2

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 19, 2021, 06:34:14 PMI took the accident probability comments to be a deliberately fallacious misunderstanding, in much the same way that people say "it's one of my five a day!" when they drink a pint of cider or eat a plate of chips.

Nah, didn't get that from the their tone at all; I think they just didn't understand the maths.


Mobbd

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on November 22, 2021, 11:02:52 AMAn interview with Adam and his mate Joe https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/nov/22/we-were-two-tortured-idiots-trying-to-make-tv-the-adam-and-joe-show-25-years-on

Wehey! I was just coming on here to post that. It's always good to see A&J pop up in media, but this opening paragraph is a nightmare:

QuoteIt's a weird experience, meeting two of your closest friends for the very first time – even if it is over Zoom. Perhaps that sentence only makes sense to you if you've spent countless happy hours in the company of Adam Buxton and Joe Cornish, who have built, through their cult Channel 4 programme The Adam and Joe Show and various radio shows and podcasts ever since, a devoted fanbase, who consider themselves personally acquainted with the pair. That must be a weird experience.

It's referring to the "parasocial" phenomenon wherein regular consumers of a cultural product become familiar with it to the extent that it feels like a comforting relationship even though it's only one-way. The paragraph took me fucking ages to parse though and it's a weird way to start an item about Adam and Joe who aren't primarily about that. What shit.

QuoteDecades on, it is difficult to sum up what The Adam and Joe Show actually was.

Not really. Maybe to a moron. It was a comedy sketch show that grew from the leaf litter of '90s pop culture. Like Robot Chicken but actually more accessible and grounded and not particularly esoteric in hindsight at all (though it did feel quite special at the time).

What IS difficult to sum up is what this article about Adam and Joe is. It has some stuff about Ramblebook but it doesn't seem to be promoting it or anything new or marking an occasion. Weird.

I wonder if the main picture they used was from their recent RHLSTP? That really could be Leicester Square Theatre in the pic and they're wearing the t-shirts of course. Maybe the Guardian just had this photograph and wanted to build an article around it.


icehaven

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on November 22, 2021, 11:02:52 AMAn interview with Adam and his mate Joe https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/nov/22/we-were-two-tortured-idiots-trying-to-make-tv-the-adam-and-joe-show-25-years-on

QuoteCornish, meanwhile, regularly posts old Adam and Joe Show clips on his Instagram account. Like Buxton, he is clearly proud of what his sweaty, tortured former self managed to produce. "I like it," he grins. "I'm one of our biggest fans!"

I'm surprised and warmed at that. I know they play up the whole "Joe's moved on to huge things and left the past behind" angle for laughs but it's still nice to see he genuinely hasn't completely.


Scrapey Fish

Quote from: Mobbd on November 22, 2021, 11:20:05 AMWhat IS difficult to sum up is what this article about Adam and Joe is. It has some stuff about Ramblebook but it doesn't seem to be promoting it or anything new or marking an occasion. Weird.

Their recent NME and RHLSTP appearances plugged a streaming site that the A&J Show is now on, so I've been assuming it's that. Weird that it didn't make this article though I guess it still promotes the show

PammySpacek

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on November 22, 2021, 09:11:35 PMTheir recent NME and RHLSTP appearances plugged a streaming site that the A&J Show is now on, so I've been assuming it's that. Weird that it didn't make this article though I guess it still promotes the show

That streaming site is WOW Presents Plus, named after the production company they worked for (World Of Wonder).

amateur


Mobbd

Quote from: amateur on November 23, 2021, 08:25:55 AMThere's a good article on the guys behind World Of Wonder here, who are also the company behind Drag Race.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/sep/21/fenton-bailey-randy-barbato-producers-rupauls-drag-race

Adam has a lovely chat with Fenton here: https://www.adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/55

I got the trial of that WOW streaming service when the NME video first went out. It has a truly bewildering amount of drag-based programming if you're into that, but the Jon Ronson content Adam mentioned wasn't there from what I could see. (His very old chat show was there, which was worth a partial watch but Secret Rulers of the World was not - at least when I looked).

beanheadmcginty

New one up. I could listen to Kayvan Novak doing his Louis Theroux impression all day.

Virgo76

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 27, 2021, 07:55:00 PMNew one up. I could listen to Kayvan Novak doing his Louis Theroux impression all day.
Agreed. Brilliant.
I was a little surprised they didn't talk about What We Do In The Shadows at all. It's the main thing I know him for.

Pink Gregory

So does Adam not post these to his soundcloud any more?

non capisco

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 27, 2021, 07:55:00 PMNew one up. I could listen to Kayvan Novak doing his Louis Theroux impression all day.

Same, the whispery conversational bits were absolutely bang on. I love hearing someone nail an impression that no-one else has really done before.

Whug Baspin

It was a great impression, a very funny guy, the highlight for me was the nose surgeon anecdote around the 16 minute mark.

Twit 2

Really enjoyed that one. Novak not on my radar at all—only seen him in 4L and didn't realise he was so funny and such a good mimic. Interesting to hear about his career start.

The "Is it problematic to portray people of other cultures?" was dull and a change of tone after all the lighthearted silliness. You could feel the atmosphere change and I got the impression Novak wasn't too keen on it, though he was polite and articulate in his responses. Just felt like Buxton was out of his depth and you could hear him backtracking. The Theroux and Curtis impressions were a delight, though.

He self-deprecatingly mentioned the podcast Bingo recently and this one had a lot:

- His dead parent(s)
- Westminster school
- Bowie
- Louis and/or Joe
- Cancel culture / problematic stuff
- His wife/marriage
- Googling stuff in front off guests

What else would be on there (generally, not just from this episode)?

Not complaining though. Adds familiarity. The cancel culture stuff is the only thing that makes me cringe or check my watch.

I'm really enjoying this run of the podcasts. Great guests and I think he's totally nailed the format, style, pacing etc. I look forward to each new episode and they're just so well and lovingly put together. It's got to be one of the very best podcasts around for sheer entertainment and comfort listening. Certainly pisses all over the interminable and self-indulgent RHLSTP.

icehaven

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 28, 2021, 07:03:30 PMReally enjoyed that one. Novak not on my radar at all—only seen him in 4L and didn't realise he was so funny and such a good mimic. Interesting to hear about his career start.

The "Is it problematic to portray people of other cultures?" was dull and a change of tone after all the lighthearted silliness. You could feel the atmosphere change and I got the impression Novak wasn't too keen on it, though he was polite and articulate in his responses. Just felt like Buxton was out of his depth and you could hear him backtracking. The Theroux and Curtis impressions were a delight, though.

He self-deprecatingly mentioned the podcast Bingo recently and this one had a lot:

- His dead parent(s)
- Westminster school
- Bowie
- Louis and/or Joe
- Cancel culture / problematic stuff
- His wife/marriage
- Googling stuff in front off guests

What else would be on there (generally, not just from this episode)?

Not complaining though. Adds familiarity. The cancel culture stuff is the only thing that makes me cringe or check my watch.

I'm really enjoying this run of the podcasts. Great guests and I think he's totally nailed the format, style, pacing etc. I look forward to each new episode and they're just so well and lovingly put together. It's got to be one of the very best podcasts around for sheer entertainment and comfort listening. Certainly pisses all over the interminable and self-indulgent RHLSTP.

- Living in rural Norfolk
- His Brompton
- Getting annoyed by people on trains/in train stations.

Agree about it being the best podcast though, he can go on about officious rail staff and Norfolk sunsets all he wants, it's fine by me.