Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:30:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: GenericPie on May 16, 2022, 01:38:06 PMThought it was very sweet when Buckles' son popped up during the Spoon interview.

Adam has often lamented how he's struggled to engage with his kids when they became teenagers and how his sons could be particularly distant at times, so part of me imagined your typical aloof teen would show up. Turns out his son is the most polite, softly spoken, little miniature Buckles clone imaginable - some of his intonations were absolutely identical to Adam's.

Yep, far be it from me to venture any kind of armchair psychology about his family relations but given he's always been quite hung up on how his dad didn't "get" him when he got into his teens and would openly deride the pop culture he liked etc. it'd be a shame if he worries too much that the same division will inevitably happen with him and his children, as there's obviously a completely different dynamic there and Buckles is much more open minded and genuinely into newer things than his own dad apparently was.

GenericPie

Quote from: Icehaven on May 16, 2022, 08:13:24 PMYep, far be it from me to venture any kind of armchair psychology about his family relations but given he's always been quite hung up on how his dad didn't "get" him when he got into his teens and would openly deride the pop culture he liked etc. it'd be a shame if he worries too much that the same division will inevitably happen with him and his children, as there's obviously a completely different dynamic there and Buckles is much more open minded and genuinely into newer things than his own dad apparently was.

Yeah, I think that's what was so sweet about it.

You could tell a lot of what Adam is passionate about had rubbed off on his son (along with some of his mannerisms) and there was an obvious closeness there that Buckles never had with his own dad.

He's on the latest episode of Off Menu.
A fun episode (worth it for the retelling of the Parisian restaurant story alone) but it always amazes me when seemingly privileged, well traveled public figures have such an incurious relationship with food. He's the son of a travel writer fgs.
(His choice of drink is baffling.)

non capisco

After getting a bit bored with Off Menu I really enjoyed the Jarvis Cocker episode last week, especially his fear of mice and genuinely disgusted reaction when Acaster told him a housemate had once woken up with a mouse sat looking in their face.

Virgo76

Quote from: kenneth trousers on May 18, 2022, 11:33:36 AMHe's on the latest episode of Off Menu.
A fun episode (worth it for the retelling of the Parisian restaurant story alone) but it always amazes me when seemingly privileged, well traveled public figures have such an incurious relationship with food. He's the son of a travel writer fgs.
(His choice of drink is baffling.)
He could still have grown up to be a fussy eater even if his dad was a travel writer.
Not hard to imagine at all! Especially as that's what happened.

bobloblaw

Quote from: non capisco on May 18, 2022, 11:36:35 AMAfter getting a bit bored with Off Menu I really enjoyed the Jarvis Cocker episode last week, especially his fear of mice and genuinely disgusted reaction when Acaster told him a housemate had once woken up with a mouse sat looking in their face.

Some cracking guests in this latest run though esp Key and Charlotte Church, who gave us an unforgettable image of Stewart Lee in an unusual culinary position

Virgo76

Sanjeev Bhaskar. Excellent guest. Talks about Unforgotten a lot which Adam rightly hails. Genuinely one of the best dramas of recent years.
If there's a better podcast around than this, I'm not aware of it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Seconded, it's a great episode. Bhaskar is a really smart, interesting, witty chap, an all-round splendid egg.

Twit 2

Straight into woke chat, wahey.

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 21, 2022, 04:43:08 PMSanjeev Bhaskar. Excellent guest. Talks about Unforgotten a lot which Adam rightly hails. Genuinely one of the best dramas of recent years.
If there's a better podcast around than this, I'm not aware of it.

I made a thread telling everyone to watch Unforgotten, zero replies, I think. Watch Unforgotten.

AllisonSays

He seems like a nice guy but 25 minutes in there's been an annoying amount of chat about wokeness, white privilege etc. Give it a rest!

Mobbd

Quote from: AllisonSays on May 22, 2022, 09:42:38 AMHe seems like a nice guy but 25 minutes in there's been an annoying amount of chat about wokeness, white privilege etc. Give it a rest!

Yeah, nice guy but a bit dull for my liking. The woke stuff was worse than ever but, from Buckles' perspective, probably the goldmine he's been looking for: a person of colour with a piss-weak centrist perspective.

Sonny_Jim

Turned it off after about 15 minutes because of the 'woke' chat.  The thing that annoys me isn't necessarily the content, just that's it's every bloody week and it's almost as if he's expecting a different response from the guest apart from 'yeah well, different world, more inclusive Adam'.

AllisonSays

He doesn't seem to have anything to say about it, which makes it an especially strange hobby horse.

Sonny_Jim

To be charitable about it, I guess he expects it to start 'lowering the guests shields', to get them to talk about stuff they ordinarily wouldn't.  But eh, ask them about it, then edit it out.

PlanktonSideburns

Cunt needs a channel 4 documentary made get it from his system

Mobbd

Quote from: AllisonSays on May 22, 2022, 01:38:03 PMHe doesn't seem to have anything to say about it,

I think his perspective is something like, "I am all for inclusion of all people and as a well-meaning libtard always have been, but everyone seems going nuts on both sides of this stance, are sometimes too keen to police it, and there's often no route to redemption if you fuck up, I'm worried that I might end up on the wrong side of it for a slight or historic mistake which I'd only be too happy to apologise for and learn from but might end up on the scrap heap. Am I crazy to feel this way or what? Tell me, fellow industry professional!"

Which is fair really. But it's also fucking boring when, as many have said, it's a substantial chunk of any given episode. More than anything, I think he wants his pods to be timely and that the wokeness conversation is current.

beanheadmcginty

Alexa Chung's bottom must have some seriously powerful magical properties for Buckles to still be publicly working through his guilt about touching it all those years ago.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mobbd on May 22, 2022, 07:12:26 PM, it's a substantial chunk of any given episode.

It isn't really though is it. He doesn't mention it at all in the Horne and Key ones and the others in this run (haven't heard the Bhaskar one) have had no more than a passing mention. At most it usually about 5 minutes of a 1hr+ podcast

Sonny_Jim

Pranet

I believe it is possible to fast forward through bits you don't like.

I found Sanjeev Bhaskar's experiences of racism during his school days interesting.

Pink Gregory

I think with Adam and most of his older interviewees (especially from British TV) you just have to accept it as a generational thing.  I don't think they usually have anything interesting or new to say about it, but it's preferable to going bananas.

Still puts me off listening though, I haven't been keeping up since this round of pods (also he stopped uploading to soundcloud which is where I kept track of then), despite some really good interviews last round - the Laurie Anderson one was one of the best.  You get the occasional smug centrist shitfest e.g. the last David Mitchell interview, but I'd be more inclined to pick and choose now.

Pranet

I think if you don't like smug centrist shitfests then you might have to accept the podcast isn't for you. I am all for smug centrist shitfests myself, so that's why I keep listening. He isn't about to join the Worker's Revolutionary Party.

somersetchris

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on May 23, 2022, 09:25:15 AMFeels longer though.

Yeah it feels like you're always thinking 'when's he going to bring it up'.

And with Sanjeev Bhaskar, it's STRAIGHT AWAY! Jesus Christ, not this again.

As others have mentioned, the problem is that he is constantly agonising about cancel culture despite having absolutely nothing interesting to say about it, he doesn't even seem to know how he feels about it. He always brings it up and then waffles inconclusively about it.

Also, he's talking about universities and how 'young people are so concerned with their safe spaces that they don't want to engage with any alternative viewpoints'.

Are they though? Is this even true, or is it just a right wing narrative? He seems to accept this is a thing that's true, without even questioning where that comes from or if it's even happening.

What is this about safe spaces anyway? Don't you go to university to learn stuff? Where is it written that part of university is that you have to be confronted by bigots and assholes, how does that get crowbarred into lectures?

His constant hand-wringing about this is making his podcast pretty unlistenable now. It completely derailed the Kayvan Novak one which otherwise could have been interesting, and now I'm listening to Sanjeev Bhaskar thinking oh fucking hell not this again.

somersetchris

Quote from: Pranet on May 23, 2022, 09:58:53 AMI think if you don't like smug centrist shitfests then you might have to accept the podcast isn't for you. I am all for smug centrist shitfests myself, so that's why I keep listening. He isn't about to join the Worker's Revolutionary Party.

It's not about his politics, it's the fact that he is becoming obsessed with one issue that he keeps wetting his pants about despite having nothing to say and no clear view on it. And it's not just five minutes, it was pretty much the whole Kayvan Novak interview and he will find a way to agonise his way through it on pretty much every episode.

I think it's that he wants to say 'bloody kids eh, they're all snowflakes not like in my day' but he knows that he will sound too much like his dad if he does that. And he brings it up because he wants people to agree with him.

Pink Gregory

I just find it tedious, because every time he's saying the same thing.  No curiosity or nuance, just the same neuroses over and over again.

What he actually thinks is of no consequences for me, it's allowed.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Pranet on May 23, 2022, 09:58:53 AMI think if you don't like smug centrist shitfests then you might have to accept the podcast isn't for you. I am all for smug centrist shitfests myself, so that's why I keep listening. He isn't about to join the Worker's Revolutionary Party.

You know I also said that his other podcasts were good and interesting, and brought up a very specific interview that I didn't get on with?

I usually try to ignore comments like this, but come on, I feel like that's an intentional misreading.

thenoise

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 23, 2022, 11:43:32 AMI just find it tedious, because every time he's saying the same thing.  No curiosity or nuance, just the same neuroses over and over again.

What he actually thinks is of no consequences for me, it's allowed.

I think there is a contrast between what he thinks about it and how he feels about it, and so he is inclined to view it as an impossible cultural contradiction that he can agonise over forever and never reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Pranet

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 23, 2022, 11:47:18 AMYou know I also said that his other podcasts were good and interesting, and brought up a very specific interview that I didn't get on with?

I usually try to ignore comments like this, but come on, I feel like that's an intentional misreading.

Yeah I know, despite me picking up on your phrase my post wasn't only or mainly aimed at you. So perhaps I shouldn't have.

But tbh I don't really see what was so bad about what I wrote either. He is a middle class privately educated person who I think probably would self describe as a centrist. What you would call smug centrist shitfests are going to happen.

Pranet

Quote from: somersetchris on May 23, 2022, 10:51:47 AMAlso, he's talking about universities and how 'young people are so concerned with their safe spaces that they don't want to engage with any alternative viewpoints'.

Are they though? Is this even true, or is it just a right wing narrative? He seems to accept this is a thing that's true, without even questioning where that comes from or if it's even happening.

What is this about safe spaces anyway? Don't you go to university to learn stuff? Where is it written that part of university is that you have to be confronted by bigots and assholes, how does that get crowbarred into lectures?

Without going back to listen to it, I don't remember the interaction the same way. Didn't he literally ask SB if from his perspective as a chancellor of a university if the idea about alternative viewpoints was correct?

Pranet

Quote from: somersetchris on May 23, 2022, 10:55:32 AMI think it's that he wants to say 'bloody kids eh, they're all snowflakes not like in my day' but he knows that he will sound too much like his dad if he does that. And he brings it up because he wants people to agree with him.

Again, I don't have a window into his soul so I don't know but I don't get that impression. I guess if he gets a column for the Spectator then we will know I am wrong. Admit this isn't unthinkable.

I get the impression he does make a bit of an effort to interview people from a different background to him (though of course they are all are going to be successful media professionals so that narrows it down considerably). I think this is how it often comes up. They will say something, and he will say something like, I didn't even think about that sort of thing until relatively recently and then many of the same things will come up.