Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:51:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Deanjam on March 09, 2021, 04:28:44 PM
Oh I have no interest in Bray magic-man bollocks, or paedo-fantasy Alexa. The technical failing was the only thing that drew my attention.

It really feels like now Taker has finally gone they're trying to have Bray be his supernatural replacement, the weird guy who never breaks kayfabe. Bray/Fiends shtick is as shit as it is ridiculous. At least Taker could have good matches with people.

Custard

Have AEW done any of the fantastical stuff? Or have they tried to keep it as realistic as possible?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 09, 2021, 08:04:49 PM
Have AEW done any of the fantastical stuff? Or have they tried to keep it as realistic as possible?

More or less realistic, Matt Hardy transporting around the venue is the only thing that springs to mind for the fantastically stupid. It was ultra realistic at first with a heavy emphasis on wins and losses and the rankings and being sports-based, that seems to come and go when it suits them now though.

Ja'moke

Raw did over 2 mil for the first time in ages last night.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 09, 2021, 09:13:14 PM
Raw did over 2 mil for the first time in ages last night.

For the first hour, the drop off was much bigger than last week though, and so it averaged out at 1.89 million, which is about normal at the moment. Lashley held a strong rating for the third hour title win last week, and started strong as new champion for the first hour this week. I wish we still had the quarter-hour breakdowns.

gmoney

There was the horror character Abadon (sp?) but I don't think she did anything outwardly supernatural, but she was a bit ridiculous. What happened to her?

Ja'moke

Quote from: gmoney on March 09, 2021, 10:42:45 PM
There was the horror character Abadon (sp?) but I don't think she did anything outwardly supernatural, but she was a bit ridiculous. What happened to her?

She wrestles on Dark quite a bit.

petril

they have a dinosaur

and Matt Hardy did some daft teleport stuff

gmoney

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 09, 2021, 10:51:35 PM
She wrestles on Dark quite a bit.

How apt! They were pushing her as a title contender for a little while I thought.

Spiteface

I'm getting caught up with the AEW show, and while the "explosion" is a shame, I'm just as disappointed that they left the regular ring ropes on for the main event. I was expecting full-on FMW, no-rope deathmatch shinanegans. Even TNA did no-rope barbed wire matches with Abyss.

Then again, Deathmatch wrestling is never as good as you think it's gonna be. I'd sooner enjoy a technical battle over that sort of thing nowadays.

Ja'moke

Quote from: gmoney on March 09, 2021, 11:30:23 PM
How apt! They were pushing her as a title contender for a little while I thought.

Yeah, she had a title feud with Shida towards the end of 2020 and a title match on the New Year's special.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 09, 2021, 11:36:37 PM
Yeah, she had a title feud with Shida towards the end of 2020 and a title match on the New Year's special.

Didn't help that JR buried her character on commentary.

Ja'moke

Putting Nemeth with Avalon and Bononi works. Also, I grew a lot of respect for Nemeth after learning today that he was of the first people to stand up to that bully cunt Bill Demott and perpetual sexpest Joey Ryan, and was punished both times by losing jobs/bookings.

amateur

Quote from: Deanjam on March 09, 2021, 04:28:44 PM
Oh I have no interest in Bray magic-man bollocks, or paedo-fantasy Alexa. The technical failing was the only thing that drew my attention.

Absolutely wasn't inferring you were a fan of the above. Just flagging the ludicrosity (copyright Edge & Christian?) of WWE in this day and age.

Glad to talk about the technical problems though. I live and breathe that shit.

Custard

Moxley hired someone to take arty black n white shots of his match, and here are the results

Won't spoil it, but it made me laugh where he chose to stop

https://ryanloco.com/blog/2021/3/9/aew-revolution-2021

Ja'moke

gmoney

Ja'moke

Quote from: gmoney on March 10, 2021, 12:48:07 PM
Hope it's Moose! Should be good.

I think I'd prefer Moose to be the one to eventually win it back, as I assume Omega is winning at Rebellion. So have Omega beat Swann, and then a few months down the line, have Moose get the Impact title back.

gmoney

I suppose, but the prospect of a Omega/Swann match is not that exciting. Who am I kidding? I'm not buying it anyway.

BeardFaceMan

Couldn't get into Impact at all when I tried watching it when Omega showed up. No screens, no audience, no ringside wrestlers, it's just too odd watching people wrestling to silence. Felt like I was watching a DVD extra of the rehearsal.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 10, 2021, 01:31:18 PM
Couldn't get into Impact at all when I tried watching it when Omega showed up. No screens, no audience, no ringside wrestlers, it's just too odd watching people wrestling to silence. Felt like I was watching a DVD extra of the rehearsal.

They've added piped-in crowd noise now.

BeardFaceMan

Well thats definitely got me more interested. I'm suprised there aren't more AEW guys appearing on Impact though, they're the ones that need the rub.

gmoney

Spiteface

One question about the AEW PPV.

Was that Christian Cage's old TNA music or a susiciously-similar substitute?

I know it was based off an Evanescence song to begin with, but it sounded like his TNA music.

Tony Khan paid for the rights to "Tarzan Boy" so it wouldn't surprise me if he did that again for Christian.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Spiteface on March 10, 2021, 02:03:00 PM
One question about the AEW PPV.

Was that Christian Cage's old TNA music or a susiciously-similar substitute?

I know it was based off an Evanescence song to begin with, but it sounded like his TNA music.

Tony Khan paid for the rights to "Tarzan Boy" so it wouldn't surprise me if he did that again for Christian.

It's a remix of his old TNA theme, done by Mikey Ruckus, AEW's music guy.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 10, 2021, 01:53:22 PM
Well thats definitely got me more interested. I'm suprised there aren't more AEW guys appearing on Impact though, they're the ones that need the rub.

Guevera was meant to be on these latest batch of episodes (that were taped a few weeks ago) but he apparently didn't like the creative, so went back home.

I suspect we'll get more crossover now that Revolution is out of the way. There is a new set of tapings next week.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 10, 2021, 02:15:44 PM
Guevera was meant to be on these latest batch of episodes (that were taped a few weeks ago) but he apparently didn't like the creative, so went back home.

I suspect we'll get more crossover now that Revolution is out of the way. There is a new set of tapings next week.

From what I've read he was right to refuse too. Now people from Japan are coming over perhaps we'll see some more NJPW guys, feels like Omega will go back to the championship collector and Bullet Club stuff now Mox is out of the way. Starting with the Impact belt, by the looks of it.

Deanjam

Molly Holly's going into the WWE hall of fame. They're inducting both 2020 & 2021 this year. I know it doesn't really mean anything, but I generally enjoy it as a TV show. Some of the speeches can be pretty good.

Ja'moke

Airing on a Tuesday too. That means Raw on Monday, HOF on Tuesday, NXT TakeOver Night 1 on Wednesday, NXT TakeOver Night 2 on Thursday, Smackdown on Friday, WrestleMania Night 1 on Saturday, WrestleMania Night 2 on Sunday, Raw on Monday, and, if the rumours are true, NXT moving to Tuesday the following week.

Yeesh.

Deanjam

There's two nights of Takeover? Fucks sake. Will probably watch them, HOF & Mania. Is there any crowd on the post mania Raw, cos that the only reason to watch in recent years.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on March 10, 2021, 05:15:09 PM
There's two nights of Takeover? Fucks sake. Will probably watch them, HOF & Mania. Is there any crowd on the post mania Raw, cos that the only reason to watch in recent years.

The two night TakeOver is expected to be announced on NXT tonight (along with the introduction of NXT Women's Tag titles). Night 1 on USA Network, and Night 2 on Peacock.

I don't believe there will be a crowd for Raw. I think it's just Mania that will have fans.