News:

"At Christmas I no more desire a rose Than wish a snow in May's new-fangled mirth; But like of each thing that in season grows."


Richard Herring's RHLSTP

Started by Retinend, March 24, 2021, 08:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

The last thread is old, so I won't bump it. Has anyone seen the Jeremy Paxman interview yet? He looks and sounds like Toad from the Wind in the Willows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk5UFx-NSVE&
Jeremy Paxman - RHLSTP #320​
324 views•Mar 24, 2021

Mr Trumpet

Surely "Richard Herring's LHSTP"?

Retinend

I did that especially to annoy you.

Retinend

Why is Paxo's jacket made of paper?

Tony Yeboah

I watched this live on Twitch. Herring does a good job despite having just come out of hospital, Paxman is a difficult interviewee-even when he's not battling with technology and drinking large amounts of wine. But Herring manages to keep the interview on track (just about) and tread the fine line between indulging Paxman whilst not letting him render the whole thing unwatchable. He also didn't burst into laughter at Paxman's massive lightbulb every few minutes, unlike me.

Retinend

haha I was also wondering when the massive lightbulb would come up, but it never did. I think Richard was worried about genuinely offending him, since he seemed just as brittle in real life as he was on the telly. Kudos to Herring for keeping things lively in spite of this.

Magnum Valentino

Listened to his chat with Olga Koch recently after seeing her on Qi, that was a good episode.

I then noticed Rich has been writing a series for Radio 4 called Relativity for a few years, has anyone heard it? I don't think I've ever seen or heard Rich doing long-form fiction as opposed to sketches or standup (unless you count TGP which was a particular kind of heightened sitcom nonsense).

danwho9

I'm really enjoying this Ruhhuhlusterpah so far. "Do you remember the Gay Daleks?". He looks nothing like him in those glasses and green shirt honestly.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on March 24, 2021, 08:58:40 AM
Surely "Richard Herring's LHSTP"?

At the moment wouldn't it just be Richard Herring's P?

thugler

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 24, 2021, 12:00:55 PM
Listened to his chat with Olga Koch recently after seeing her on Qi, that was a good episode.

I then noticed Rich has been writing a series for Radio 4 called Relativity for a few years, has anyone heard it? I don't think I've ever seen or heard Rich doing long-form fiction as opposed to sketches or standup (unless you count TGP which was a particular kind of heightened sitcom nonsense).

He did that ITV drama thing, which was dross. 'You can choose your friends'.

In fact he was even in it.

vainsharpdad

This is a radio version of that.

He's even in it.

sutin

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 24, 2021, 12:00:55 PM
Listened to his chat with Olga Koch recently after seeing her on Qi, that was a good episode.

I then noticed Rich has been writing a series for Radio 4 called Relativity for a few years, has anyone heard it? I don't think I've ever seen or heard Rich doing long-form fiction as opposed to sketches or standup (unless you count TGP which was a particular kind of heightened sitcom nonsense).

I listened to Relativity a bit out of curiosity and found it a bit too broad. It's quite well written but ultimately dull.

Just posted about Paxman in the old thread before I saw this, confusing. Dunno why we need a new one, the previous one had been active as recently as earlier this year.

turnstyle

Really confused why Paxman is Skyping in from the set of the Borrowers.


Retinend

Quote from: sutin on March 24, 2021, 03:14:34 PM
I listened to Relativity a bit out of curiosity and found it a bit too broad. It's quite well written but ultimately dull.

Just posted about Paxman in the old thread before I saw this, confusing. Dunno why we need a new one, the previous one had been active as recently as earlier this year.

Before yours it had been two months since the last contribution, and that itself was the thread's only post in a month. A dead thread.

beanheadmcginty

Postman Pat has let himself go.

lankyguy95

Quote from: turnstyle on March 24, 2021, 03:50:05 PM
Really confused why Paxman is Skyping in from the set of the Borrowers.


For when Paxo has a really good idea.

franticplanet

Quote from: turnstyle on March 24, 2021, 03:50:05 PM
Really confused why Paxman is Skyping in from the set of the Borrowers.



If he ever has an idea, we're all gonna be staggering round like Day of the Triffids.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Switched it off after ten minutes. I despise Paxman, he's a rude, tiresome, unfunny cunt.

I really felt sorry for Rich, imagine getting out of your hospital bed to interview that.

Retinend

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 24, 2021, 06:25:44 PM
Switched it off after ten minutes. I despise Paxman, he's a rude, tiresome, unfunny cunt.

I really felt sorry for Rich, imagine getting out of your hospital bed to interview that.

To be honest, this interview has massively lowered my estimation of him: he shows zero wit for the whole thing, never cracks a real smile, and most of his attempts at humor usually just come off as rude: "I'm beginning to think this appearance was ill-advised" he says, after being asked his first Emergency Question. Oh, and he fails to appreciate that Richard read his entire autobiography in preparation for the interview.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Paxman is one of those people who thinks withering disdain is the height of wit. I'm all for withering disdain, but it has to be backed up with some sort of charm and an actual sense of humour.

Quote from: Retinend on March 24, 2021, 07:00:14 PM
Oh, and he fails to appreciate that Richard read his entire autobiography in preparation for the interview.

You'd assume that Paxman, The Great Journalist, would appreciate an interviewer making that effort. But nah, he's a hypocrite, a lazy, bullying hack.

And I know Rich isn't the greatest interviewer in the world, but he's genuinely interested in working towards an entertaining conversation with his guests. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Paxman has never given the impression of being remotely interested in anything someone else might have to say for themselves.

danwho9

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 24, 2021, 04:24:14 PM
Postman Pat has let himself go.
Hugh Grant in Paddington 2 has let himself go.

SteveDave

Quote from: turnstyle on March 24, 2021, 03:50:05 PM
Really confused why Paxman is Skyping in from the set of the Borrowers.



"I'm getting the word...nonce"

Quote from: turnstyle on March 24, 2021, 03:50:05 PM


Fuck me he's been at the corn beef hash and become it too! Euurghyorryorry he says

sutin

Quote from: Retinend on March 24, 2021, 04:22:08 PM
Before yours it had been two months since the last contribution, and that itself was the thread's only post in a month. A dead thread.

Jesus, wise up.

neardark

Is that really the best angle he could achieve with his webcam. Boring Tory cunt.

Retinend

March 25, 2021, 09:07:46 AM #25 Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 12:06:52 PM by Retinend
Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 24, 2021, 12:00:55 PM
Listened to his chat with Olga Koch recently after seeing her on Qi, that was a good episode.

Thanks for the recommendation. I liked hearing Herring's thoughts on Avril Lavigne's Sk8er Boi.



edit: I found the very funny blog post, from 2003, in which he goes into detail on Avril Lavigne and Sk8er Boi - http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup/8/2/2003/index.html

Retinend

Quote from: sutin on March 24, 2021, 10:43:27 PM
Jesus, wise up.

Then it's because that thread is subtitled "2020" and it's 2021 now, granddad.

gilbertharding

I haven't listened to this yet, so if it turns out Paxman can suck his own cock please don't post it here without spoilers.

Jittlebags

I do hope that he has John Humphreys and James Naughtie as his human centipede partners.

McFlymo

Paxman apparently chooses his own podcast guests: