Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:28:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

gilbertharding

Quote from: phantom_power on September 27, 2021, 09:51:41 PM
Was it maybe a DLT pisstake/homage?

Sorry - should have been clearer: he didn't say that, but probably wanted to.

buzby

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 27, 2021, 06:36:56 PM
Some berk in his slot this morning.  I'll say it again, can we have Anne Frankenstein back please?  That way I don't feel the need to drop kick my radio out of the window.
Huw Stephens from BBC Radio Wales and formely of Radio 1, who has occasionally filled in for Hawkins previously. Dull as ditchwater.

Brundle-Fly

I wish Julian Cope would DJ on 6Music. He'd be superb.

Norton Canes

New Wet Leg single 6Music first play exclusive right now!!!

Norton Canes

Damn, I missed it - I won't sleep tonight now, knowing  what's in store for me all day tomorrow.

peteprodge

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 27, 2021, 10:10:16 PM
Where's Keavney going now?

A new podcast for Sony Music about festivals. Also is a fill-in presenter on Radio 2, so you can hear him on back on the BBC, here.

poodlefaker

He's also started to appear on R4's Saturday Live with the BBC vicar on Saturday mornings. Mind-numbing "what were yer favourite school pudding? Text us now" level stuff.

gilbertharding

Quote from: poodlefaker on September 29, 2021, 09:09:07 AM
He's also started to appear on R4's Saturday Live with the BBC vicar on Saturday mornings. Mind-numbing "what were yer favourite school pudding? Text us now" level stuff.

Absolute death. If you look at reports from around the time John Peel died, they're full of admiring comments about his supposed reinvention as cosy host of cosy Radio 4 morning show Home Truths. Smug toss.

The only good episode of Saturday Live was the one where they relaunched as a 90 minute show, and had an obviously coked-up David Cassidy as special guest.

poodlefaker

In the terrible university office I was working in at the time my boss came in and said "John Peel's died". My colleague: "Who?" Boss: "You know, the man from Home Truths". Grim.

Another week with Hawkins. Getting concerned now they've just given him the slot by default as Charles is still unavailable.

He (Hawkins) really is utterly without personality isn't he, it's astonishing. Even the song choices feel like they're coming off a random playlist. No sense he actually likes any of them or has any stake in the show he's presenting. Just a man plodding through a job with the bare minimum of competence.

George Oscar Bluth II

Craig Charles did his Saturday show so he's available. Next week maybe?

It's a pity cos I think his stint in for Lamacq at the start of the pandemic was really good, infinitely more fun than Steve is anyway.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on October 05, 2021, 09:10:11 AM
Just a man plodding through a job with the bare minimum of competence.

I get am enough of that at work.

Norton Canes

He (Hawkins) really is utterly without personality isn't he, it's astonishing. Even the song choices feel like they're coming off a random playlist. No sense he actually likes any of them or has any stake in the show he's presenting. Just a man plodding through a job with the bare minimum of competence

It would help if he could at least string a sentence together without tripping over his words.

Endicott

Another week with Hawkins. Getting concerned now they've just given him the slot by default as Charles is still unavailable.

He (Hawkins) really is utterly without personality isn't he, it's astonishing. Even the song choices feel like they're coming off a random playlist. No sense he actually likes any of them or has any stake in the show he's presenting. Just a man plodding through a job with the bare minimum of competence.

I heard him briefly yesterday afternoon, introducing a track by Nina Simone. 'And now, Nina Simone', said in a completely flat tone, no enthusiasm at all. It was like he'd take a set square and made the words completely flat.

I'm not looking for fake enthusiasm, but you're introducing Nina Simone!

gilbertharding

Or, as Mark Radcliffe calls her, Baberberber Nernernernina Simone.

poodlefaker

You know that thing people do on the old social medias where they take an unusual phrase out of someone's post and pretend it's the name of a band John Peel once had in session? I like to do the opposite and take the dullest phrase I can think of and imagine Tom Ravenscroft saying it. Coming up: a repeat of the amay-zing recent session recorded live at our Maida Vale studios by...

New Forest Ponies
Inland Waterways
Department of Work and Pensions
CoatHangers
Silt

willbo

My parents only knew John Peel from home truths. I suppose it's a weird thing how some people become icons in an alternative world/audience, then they break out to a mainstream audience, and they end up with fans who don't know where they came from.

Camp Tramp

That boring writer is on again, talking about The Beatles this time.

shiftwork2

Chris Hawkins talking to a writer about his new Beatles book, on a rainy afternoon, forever and ever and ever and ever and ever...

Surely most people are sick to fucking death of reading stuff about The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep, Hendrix etc etc?

I suppose younger generations prefer to buy newly written books so they'll keep being made but it's been decades of discussion and dissection now, bore off folks.

Das Reboot

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on October 05, 2021, 03:58:41 PM
Surely most people are sick to fucking death of reading stuff about The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep, Hendrix etc etc?

Meanwhile on the cover of Mojo this month...

I think Radcliffe and Maconie's later start time kicks in this weekend so maybe we'll get Charles installed in the afternoon slot next week.

Pink Gregory

I've had a subscription to Mojo for years.  It's a shame, because despite the writing being very male music nerd facts and trivia for the most part, they do feature some interesting and unexpected stuff.  Just the problem is that it's probably the 14 page features on FUCKING Abbey Road again is probably what keeps it in boring dad money.

JaDanketies

Chris Hawkins feels very Radio 2, including his playlists.

Shhhh, they might think we want Keaveney back.

jobotic

I almost never listen to 6 Music but last night I put on a bit of Freak Zone and it was very good. I was expecting a load of psyche but it wasn't that at all, check out the playlist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0010g8x

Some of it I knew, most of it I didn't. The Gesualdo and Hakon Stene pieces were great.

amateur

I don't think the title helps it but it's a great show. Loads of beautiful music as well as mad old shit on there.

The Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith track was the stand-out for me.  It was all low-key stuff to tie in with 6 Music's quiet music day - it amused me how Stuart was speaking in hushed tones throughout.

Das Reboot

My prediction that Charles would take over this week following minor changes to the weekend schedule has been proven to be completely unfounded bollocks.