Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:51:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on October 11, 2021, 12:54:51 PM
The Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith track was the stand-out for me.  It was all low-key stuff to tie in with 6 Music's quiet music day - it amused me how Stuart was speaking in hushed tones throughout.

Didn't get that far but will go back to it. I got the slow bit - he doesn't normally speak like that then? I always thought he was a bit rubbish but I liked him last night.

Think I'm getting on a bit to be listening to the latest young guitar indie bands tbh so might steer clear of the rest.

Das Reboot

Speaking of speaking differently, Radcliffe's frail old lady voice [nb]He was adamant it caused by a cold, not Covid. Still, couldn't help thinking it might have been cancer related[/nb] on Saturday was quite something. He sounded better on Sunday, but didn't do much talking.

amateur

Quote from: Das Reboot on October 11, 2021, 02:37:08 PM
My prediction that Charles would take over this week following minor changes to the weekend schedule has been proven to be completely unfounded bollocks.

Next Monday according to the schedule.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0010wjy

Norton Canes

Quote from: amateur on October 11, 2021, 04:16:58 PM
Quote from: Das Reboot on October 11, 2021, 02:37:08 PM
My prediction that Charles would take over this week following minor changes to the weekend schedule has been proven to be completely unfounded bollocks.

Next Monday according to the schedule.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0010wjy

Ha, just read this in a tab I opened half an hour ago, thought it was the Royal Family thread and went excitedly to the BBC news site

amateur

Prince Charles will definitely die before Craig Charles.

Chicory

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 05, 2021, 09:58:55 AM
It would help if he could at least string a sentence together without tripping over his words.

I mean, I like the guy, he's harmless.  He's also borderline unintelligible most of the time.  I did some googling to check if I've been mean about someone with a genuine speech difficulty but there's nothing.  One of the genuine mysteries of British broadcasting.

Janie Jones

So, what's everyone's views on Craig Charles, 2 days in? Made me realise quite how unsuitable Keaveney's low-energy 'dreary irony', to use Sebastian Cobb's excellent phrase, was for the afternoon slot.

I was trying to give a name to Keaveney's schtick and "dreary irony" nails it.

shiftwork2

I was disappointed that my hour's drive home was still going to be soundtracked by crematorium Steve and his 'band t-shirts' and his anecdotes about meeting the drummer out of Cud in 'the student union bar'.  But then I realised I could time-shift Craig on BBC Sounds.  And it's been great.  I've always had a soft spot for him.  A natural broadcaster and a fun show so far.

I think Keaveney was once quite inventive and invested in his show (XFM, and early 6 music).

Janie Jones

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 20, 2021, 09:16:29 PM
I was disappointed that my hour's drive home was still going to be soundtracked by crematorium Steve and his 'band t-shirts' and his anecdotes about meeting the drummer out of Cud in 'the student union bar'.

To be fair, most of Lamacq's spectacularly dull features such as 'Best third track on an album' or 'Songs that start with the vocal' or 'Bands where the bass player usually stands on the right of the lead vocalist' could be 8 page threads here in Oscillations so there's obviously a market for this sort of bilge.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Janie Jones on October 21, 2021, 09:41:59 AM
'Best third track on an album' or 'Songs that start with the vocal' or 'Bands where the bass player usually stands on the right of the lead vocalist'

Oh, I'm stealing those!

amateur

Nothing will ever top Chris Hawkins' texter: "Have you ever seen a band upstairs"

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: amateur on October 21, 2021, 09:46:15 AM
Nothing will ever top Chris Hawkins' texter: "Have you ever seen a band upstairs"

Have you ever seen a band's downstairs?

the science eel

Quote from: jobotic on October 11, 2021, 02:41:23 PM
Didn't get that far but will go back to it. I got the slow bit - he doesn't normally speak like that then? I always thought he was a bit rubbish but I liked him last night.

You know sometimes people say music is 'pretentious'? it doesn't really make sense, and anyway it's a slippery thing to define. And anyway - some music that's 'pretentious' is great.

But Maconie's show - the stuff he plays, but mostly the way he talks about it all (the way he (mis)pronounces foreign names or even 'translates' them!) - is skin-crawlingly pretentious. I switch my radio on and off about 18 times throughout his show (I'm usually in the kitchen cooking) because there's always something interesting, but fuck me is he a creepy over-reverential humourless twat

good times

When did the breakfast show turn into a weird mix of Radio 1, Radio 2 and Smooth FM? Was it organic and happened so slowly barely anyone noticed, or did it happen overnight?

I have the show on for roughly half an hour first thing each morning as I tidy the kitchen, make breakfast etc. and I'll be lucky if I hear one song that isn't tedious shite, that's difficult to enjoy even on an ironic level.

Also how cynical is that new Gorillaz song, a perfect composite of 3/4 superior songs from the past few years aimed with laser precision at the 6 music playlist.

Norton Canes

Sounds like not all their DJs got the memo on the correct pronunciation of the 'deutsche' part of ​Afrodeutsche

I'm looking at you, Huw Stephens

mobias

Quote from: Janie Jones on October 19, 2021, 09:28:47 PM
So, what's everyone's views on Craig Charles, 2 days in?

Much better than Keaveney. Seems refreshingly free of those annoyingly repetitive radio jingle things that Keaveney had in his show ('cats operating in gangs' 'onions' and all the rest of it).

Das Reboot

Not caught a lot of Craig due to a change in work commitments, but yes, a big improvement. I wondered if having Robert Plant on the first show was a kick in the balls directed at Keaveny?

I thought at first that he'd been given some leeway on the playlist, but that was just me being out of sync with the same tracks being hammered every three hours. You can normally tell when Craig's playing a playlist track that he's ambivalent about as he starts talking over it two thirds in and reads out the bumf attached on his screen. "That's Landfill Indie Sludge. By Landfill Indie Sludge. Taken from the forthcoming album, Landfill Indie Sludge. On the Landfill Indie Sludge label..."

By chance I caught the Radio 4 equivalent of Points of View (Your View, I think it's called) on Friday and they had a segment on 6 Music listeners moaning about the recent changes - some on RadMac being cut to two hours (fair fucks, TBH), but most of it about Keaveny's departure. Interesting to note that Shaun had been offered another slot but had turned it down. Can't really see where they thought he could go.

Midas

According to Wikipedia, Keaveny's occupation is

Radio presenter
Comedian
Magician
Musician, drums

He must be the least annoying charismatic magician alive, apart from that lad who shat in a fishtank above the Thames or summat.

Midas

And if Keaveny really is some sort of show-biz polymath why did he find himself narrating the Channel 5 series The Mega Council Estate Nextdoor in 2020? Something doesn't add up.

Proactive

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 30, 2021, 12:54:12 PM
Sounds like not all their DJs got the memo on the correct pronunciation of the 'deutsche' part of ​Afrodeutsche

I'm looking at you, Huw Stephens
I used to be quite good pals with her many years ago. Absolutely bonkers to see her doing this. I reckon she's going to be a pretty big deal one day.

holyzombiejesus

What are thoughts on Lauren Laverne, generally? I used to think she was pretty ace but over the last year or so have come to the conclusion that she's horrible. (Apologies for not starting a separate thread but felt uneasy about starting a thread that basically invited people to call a relatively harmless female a cunt.)

shiftwork2

She's ok but doesn't work in the current slot.  Mid-morning was a better fit somehow.  The 6 Music breakfast show is a nut they can't seem to crack.

She is, however, terrible on Desert Island Discs.  Cannot ask an unscripted follow-up question and just works down her list regardless of where the conversation is going.

holyzombiejesus

She strikes me as having now edge or genuine personality anymore, whatsoever. Sitting there, with her BFFs, Myleene and Caitlyn, talking about how her dad was a miner whilst writing silly books for children. 3rd highest female earner at the BBC (5k more than Vanessa Feltz!). Just seems to live in some privileged little bubble, the Guardian's 'The Measure' column personified. I'm probably being unfair.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Das Reboot on October 31, 2021, 07:16:27 PM
By chance I caught the Radio 4 equivalent of Points of View (Your View, I think it's called)

Feedback, it's called. Or "No Matter How Reasonable or Correct Your Complaint, We Will Get the Producer to Defend Themselves by Saying Your Complaint is Wrong and Unreasonable" as I call it.

JaDanketies

I think I read some article where Lauren Laverne is friends with transphobic MP Rosie Duffield, and she played Duffield's daughter's unsigned and unknown band on Radio 6. I can't seem to find the article and might have just dreamed it. But she definitely seems cooler than someone who would be friends with Rosie Duffield.

Das Reboot

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 01, 2021, 09:24:55 AM
Feedback, it's called. Or "No Matter How Reasonable or Correct Your Complaint, We Will Get the Producer to Defend Themselves by Saying Your Complaint is Wrong and Unreasonable" as I call it.

Not in this case, however. They were given the cold cock - "No-one from 6 Music was available to talk about the changes, so here's some outside self-appointed meejah expert to add nothing of interest to pad out the last segment of the programme."

Re: Laverne, she hardly seems to be on when I dip in. Nemone was in last week - though it was half-term so that's understandable. Pretty sure she was off the week before. She was off ill this morning and listeners were treated to a bonus hour of THE HAWK.

Janie Jones

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 01, 2021, 12:41:56 PM
Caitlin Moran's daughter, it was: https://brokenbottleboy.substack.com/p/bonus-the-silly-mystery-of-eaves

That was interesting, thanks for the link. I do like the song. Imagine the fuss if she was swanning round announcing her N London media glitterati parentage, seems like she can't win! She also nearly died due to mental health problems that CM wrote about very movingly in More Than A Woman so frankly I wish her all the best and good on LL for giving her a leg up, who wouldn't do that for their friend's kid if they could?

mobias

Generally I like Laverne and over the years of listening to daytime 6 music its probably her show more than anyone else's I've discovered some great music through. I know people can find her overly gushy, and there is definitely an element of that about her. She's hugely liked within the music industry though. She's meant to be an incredibly nice person.