Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:03:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone remember a disturbing moment on "Buzzcocks"

Started by willbo, May 16, 2021, 09:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

It was an episode in the late 90s I think, (early 00s at latest), it was that round where they have a line up and have to guess which person was in a band

there was a man in the line up who had long hair and a beard, and he had some sort of facial twitches and body shakes

Phil Jupitus and the others drew attention to this and made jokes about him needing his medication and stuff

the guy looked really intense, he was staring crazily, and I couldn't tell if he was really upset or it was an act. It's always stayed in my mind and I think about I see Buzzcocks.

bgmnts

To be fair they used to mercilessly rip the piss out of some of those in the line-ups big time. I do not remember this though, I will say.

willbo

I've always wanted to know about it...I've wanted to know if he was some guy with Tourette's or Parkinson's who thought he was gonna get through the segment ok and then had his confidence destroyed, or if it just an act and he was a member of the crew, playing up being crazy for the camera. He looked like he was having a breakdown.

Icehaven

willbo

no, I don't think he was. I remember him walking off looking angry like he was either gonna massacre the studio or at least sue the show for distress. But I always wanted to see it again and see if I could "read" if it was an act on rewatch.

Pauline Walnuts

It was always a nasty sneering show wasn't it? Even ignoring Mark Lamarr's apparent problem with women.

https://youtu.be/jCbD6MZqQWM?list=PLSa-fSDwZthdtMIQRQGwZyunHy22NhtVA&t=156
You know what that is.

jobotic

Hated that bit.

These people look like they do mundane jobs not like us shit comedians and talentless musicians. Let's do a coke laugh at them.

Icehaven

I was recently listening to one of the many Adam Buxton podcast episodes where he recounts how he's died on various panel shows, and I'm sure he said something about how on Buzzcocks the writers go through all the pre-written material with the hosts and guests beforehand and they each had to say which bits they wanted to do. This puts the guests on the back foot because they don't really know how it's going to work or feel confident enough to say what they want to do, so Phil Jupitus would just claim all the best jokes.

DrGreggles

Quote from: icehaven on May 16, 2021, 10:40:01 AM
Phil Jupitus would just claim all the best jokes.

Bit cruel of them to edit all of those out of every episode.

neardark

I remember an intense and scary looking fella but don't remember him twitching. Felt like he was playing a character.

willbo

I believe the episode would have been 1999-2001, 98 at very earliest and 02 at very latest. Just because that's when I mainly watched Buzzcocks and I remember this ep was around when I first became a fan of the show.

The Lurker

I was recently listening to one of the many Adam Buxton podcast episodes where he recounts how he's died on various panel shows, and I'm sure he said something about how on Buzzcocks the writers go through all the pre-written material with the hosts and guests beforehand and they each had to say which bits they wanted to do. This puts the guests on the back foot because they don't really know how it's going to work or feel confident enough to say what they want to do, so Phil Jupitus would just claim all the best jokes.

Yeah, I remember Buxton writing something like that. There was another comedian (Dave Gorman, maybe?) who wasn't too complimentary about their time on Buzzcocks

lankyguy95

I was recently listening to one of the many Adam Buxton podcast episodes where he recounts how he's died on various panel shows,
Do you know which episode that was?

willbo

the dialogue was, number (x) in the line up was calm but sad/depressed looking, and number (y) was the shaking guy. Phil Jupitus said "does number (x) want some medication? Cause I think number (y)'s got some!"

(put x and y cause obviously can't remember their exact numbers)

ajsmith2

Fly Me To Lampoon
I'm a faded star
Show we what abuse is like from Jupitus, Lamarr
In other words: Identity Parade
In other words: Buzzcocks, humiliate me.

ajsmith2

My least favourite identity parade moment was Rick Wakeman identifying Polly Brown from Pickettywitch by ogling her arse. Just complete late 90s/early 00s laddish dehumanizing misery. Can't believe I used to watch this crap regularly because of the superficial pop music history content. What a poverty of content there was back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdAiVN27z9g

pigamus

Are they jokes about a particular subject then? Like, if they mention Elton John, they've got a store of shit jokes ready?

Spiteface

Guessing Lamarr swiped up all the Chris Moyles/Geri Halliwell "jokes" then...

paruses

Quote from: The Lurker on May 16, 2021, 11:16:44 AM
Yeah, I remember Buxton writing something like that. There was another comedian (Dave Gorman, maybe?) who wasn't too complimentary about their time on Buzzcocks

Stewart Lee? He spoke about how Bill Oddie was pretty great on their episode but edited to look like a humourless git.

jobotic

willbo

I wouldn't have had the self confidence to dislike Buzzcocks in my late teens. If I watched it with my friends and they were all laughing, and I didn't find it funny, I'd assume there was something wrong with me and try to force myself to like it.

pigamus

I downloaded all the Lamarr ones off UK Nova one hot summer - 2003ish - and spent a lovely few days drinking cheap cider and watching them all. Nice memory, but I think they've probably aged very badly. Wouldn't want to do it now.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: paruses on May 16, 2021, 11:47:01 AM
Stewart Lee? He spoke about how Bill Oddie was pretty great on their episode but edited to look like a humourless git.

No, it wasn't that, the edit was designed to make him look dottery and not-all-there (according to Lee).

BlodwynPig

No better than comedians they professed to hate - Bernard Manning etc.

Ferris

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 16, 2021, 11:25:35 AM
Fly Me To Lampoon
I'm a faded star
Show we what abuse is like from Jupitus, Lamarr
In other words: Identity Parade
In other words: Buzzcocks, humiliate me.

Brilliant.

vainsharpdad

Enjoyed the Amstel era at the time - and hey, it wasn't as bad as TTIAO

willbo

It wasn't Donny Tourrette. It was years before DT was famous and this guy would be 20 years older than DT

notjosh

I thought it was pretty cunty of Amstel to take the piss out of Preston From The Ordinary Boys' girlfriend by reading her autobiography with disdain. It was implied that he was a diva for walking off, but who the fuck is gonna sit there and let someone call their girlfriend thick and shallow like that?