Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:34:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 12

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, May 20, 2021, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

Oh yeah, the straw was the clever one.

The Crumb

Saw this last night and agree the drinking task was a bit odd. I think it was meant to make people overthink what they were doing - as said above, just drinking it normally would have worked.

Live task was an amazing finish, one of their best ideas ever. I loved Morgana's micro impressions of Victoria. Kind of a shame the series ended there, it was finally picking up steam for me.

olliebean

Quote from: Endicott on December 01, 2021, 09:41:21 AMHave you tried it? I did, it was impossible. Drink won't go down my throat if my mouth is open, I choked instead. I reckon you need to be the type who can chug a yard of ale in 10 seconds, then you could do this.
It's quite difficult to swallow if your mouth is open - I think it's because as long as air is getting in your body reflexively tries to breathe rather than swallow - but you can get around that by curling your tongue up to the roof of your mouth to block the opening, i.e., your tongue is doing the job your lips would normally do. Then the most difficult part is remembering to keep your mouth open while you swallow.

None of them thought of that, though.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: olliebean on December 01, 2021, 11:00:12 AMIt's quite difficult to swallow if your mouth is open - I think it's because as long as air is getting in your body reflexively tries to breathe rather than swallow - but you can get around that by curling your tongue up to the roof of your mouth to block the opening, i.e., your tongue is doing the job your lips would normally do. Then the most difficult part is remembering to keep your mouth open while you swallow.

Or you just be like Desiree Birch and be an ex-dominatirix with no gag reflex.

The Crumb

Quote from: olliebean on December 01, 2021, 11:00:12 AMIt's quite difficult to swallow if your mouth is open - I think it's because as long as air is getting in your body reflexively tries to breathe rather than swallow - but you can get around that by curling your tongue up to the roof of your mouth to block the opening, i.e., your tongue is doing the job your lips would normally do. Then the most difficult part is remembering to keep your mouth open while you swallow.

It's even simpler than that, you just need to keep a steady flow of liquid to block out the air. It's just drinking a glass of squash in one go, which most people have probably done at some point.

Hex Triplet

I stopped watching this series a while ago (I think it was the task that went "do the opposite of not not NOT not ringing this bell!" that just fucked me off with its dick-tugging self-congratulary cleverness), which I haven't done since whichever series had Russel Howard on it, but I am glad I went back and watched the last two episodes because they really were great, both live tasks lots of fun, and I think the best contestant won (for a change).

They need to cut it to 8 episodes, I think. Ten too many. Alex irritates me hugely, bouncing away like a gimpy little monkey next to Greg (reminds me of that shrieking gibbon thing Jabba the Hutt had in Return of the Jedi), but I suppose he's a necessary part of it, although I feel Greg is a bit bored of the dynamic, his job consisting of repeating things we've just seen and heard in an exaggerated amused/bemused way. And please can we stop with the cake-sitting, boot-crushing, drooling and chewing fetish shit?

Norton Canes

Quote from: The Crumb on December 01, 2021, 10:36:43 AMI loved Morgana's micro impressions of Victoria

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 20, 2021, 10:26:26 AMStill really hoping Morgana does an impersonation of Victoria

Well... eventually, she did... in a way

beanheadmcginty

I missed these "micro impressions". When and what were they?

The Crumb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 01, 2021, 11:23:32 AMI missed these "micro impressions". When and what were they?

During the noises live task, Morgana's bird noise and beatboxing were both done to sound like Victoria had made them.

I really liked the drinking task on the basis that it elicited some mad noises and facial expressions.

Norton Canes

It was very much another one of Alex's oral fetish tasks

turnstyle

Quote from: Hex Triplet on December 01, 2021, 11:13:39 AMAlex irritates me hugely, bouncing away like a gimpy little monkey next to Greg (reminds me of that shrieking gibbon thing Jabba the Hutt had in Return of the Jedi).

Salicious Crumb mate, show some respect.

Captain Z

Quote from: The Crumb on December 01, 2021, 11:12:39 AMIt's even simpler than that, you just need to keep a steady flow of liquid to block out the air. It's just drinking a glass of squash in one go, which most people have probably done at some point.

I think your mouth would instinctively close on the final gulp though. You'd have to be confident enough to argue that that was "after" the final bit of drink had been consumed.

The Crumb

Quote from: Captain Z on December 01, 2021, 12:58:00 PMI think your mouth would instinctively close on the final gulp though. You'd have to be confident enough to argue that that was "after" the final bit of drink had been consumed.

Leave the glass in place until you finish the last gulp. Tried this just now and it was fine. Credit to Alex for making us really think about the mechanics of drinking.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 01, 2021, 11:54:32 AMI really liked the drinking task on the basis that it elicited some mad noises and facial expressions.
That was obviously the intended result, so I guess it can be called a success. I'd say the problem was that it was all a bit predictable: Some of them made a mess, some of them quibbled over what counts as an open gob (using a straw certainly isn't) just as I would have expected.

Perhaps a more classic version would have been something like "Drink this juice, without using your hands. There would be more leeway for creative solutions and I'm sure Horne would have been there for one of them lapping it out of a bowl or something.

One surprise I was less pleased to see was how dull Victoria Coren was for most of it. Fair enough, she's not a professional comedian, but I was convinced she would make for a good contestant.

boinks

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 27, 2021, 05:02:55 PMI nearly gave myself a hernia laughing at Guz's proposal. I think I should check out Man Like Mobeen next.

Man Like Mobeen is well worth a watch. Mobeen is very much just Guz!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm watching the first episode right now. It's started off very well.

amateur

Taskmaster's New Year Treat lineup is out:

Adrian Chiles
Claudia Winkleman
Jonnie Peacock
Lady Leshurr
Sayeeda Warsi

Decent haul!

Captain Z

Very funny, now when's the real lineup announced?

Bad Ambassador

Warsi is a low point.

Failed to declare rental income, stayed rent-free in the home of a Tory donor and twice broke the Ministerial Code.

Urgh. Warsi.

The rest are fine and it could be fun, and I'm grateful that the New Year Treat exists as it means they can stick to comedians on the regular series.

But on the other hand, I didn't really enjoy last year's and the show only works when you get to know the contestants - which isn't possible with just the one episode.

Cuellar

Christ that's actually real.

Is Chiles now going out with Alex Horne?

And Warsi?! What? Get Blair on.

Hat FM

No Tony from Hollyoaks again. what a cock up.

Cuellar

Looking at the reaction on twitter to this, there seem to be a lot of BIG Claudia Winkleman fans. How does that happen? How do you become a fan of Claudia Winkleman?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Cuellar on December 03, 2021, 01:14:54 PMLooking at the reaction on twitter to this, there seem to be a lot of BIG Claudia Winkleman fans. How does that happen? How do you become a fan of Claudia Winkleman?

Don't ever got to the Taskmaster reddit, they've been begging to have her on for years.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Cuellar on December 03, 2021, 01:14:54 PMLooking at the reaction on twitter to this, there seem to be a lot of BIG Claudia Winkleman fans. How does that happen? How do you become a fan of Claudia Winkleman?
Over on Reddit she was ALWAYS in the request a contestant threads.

I'm fine with it - based on her appearance on Off Menu & Would I Lie To You I'm sure she'll be good value on a one-off Taskmaster.  Warsi however...

Cuellar

Right. I'm sure she'd be fine, but I just don't get that some people spend time thinking about Claudia Winkleman, and imagining her doing things. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm weirdly relieved Winkleman's on it as it means she presumably won't be in any future series. Otherwise it sounds fairly awful, and I'll wait to see the reaction on here before possibly giving it a go.

Bad Ambassador

I'm sure it'll be a fine vehicle for her to do her hilariously wacky and random shtick, while coming across like a drunk aunt at a christening do.

The Lurker

Winkleman's game for a laugh, I reckon. She doesn't seem to have a problem with making a fool out of herself so she should be good Taskmaster material.