Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Final FUCKDOWN

Started by Chedney Honks, May 31, 2021, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have we got one more to go before the end of 2021?

Yes.
94 (66.7%)
No.
36 (25.5%)
Young people probably spread it in the first place so prepare to meet thy doom 😂😂😂
11 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Odd that the Guardian and the author still have a 'look how much better Germany are doing' when it's just hit the roof over there, and they have proper restrictions, mask wearing, vaccine certs at pub and bar entrances.

I don't blame them for being caught on the hoof as it happened within a few weeks but weird to still have published it.

Ultimately current vaccines don't suppress infection of this extremely highly infectious dangerous disease enough to prevent unacceptable overloading of NHs resources and mass deaths, so a medium scale winter lockdown of some sort this winter and next seems not only obvious but inevitable.

Everybody should be pushing to work from home and be wearing masks in recreational indoor settings, pubs bars and restaurants should only let people in whose last vaccine is within 6 months.

Milo

I placed my Christmas order in Cardiff Market today, I'd usually collect on my last day of work but they said they're just doing deliveries in case the market is closed. Feels hard to imagine now that everywhere has been manically busy for about six weeks.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 09, 2021, 06:31:45 PM
to prevent unacceptable overloading of NHS resources and mass deaths
Not possible to prevent this by tackling the 'ViD at this point.

Ferris

Odd that the Guardian and the author still have a 'look how much better Germany are doing' when it's just hit the roof over there, and they have proper restrictions, mask wearing, vaccine certs at pub and bar entrances.

Not that odd when you realize those articles get good traction on Twitter among self-flagellating FBPE types - god knows I get every one of them sent to me from family members. Maybe should have voted labour lads?

I'm convinced it's the only reason William Keegan is still getting paid to parp out a tedious brexit article every two weeks[nb]In fact, let's see what he chose to write about today. Ah. And last week? Hmm. And the week before? I see. In fact 15 out of his last 20 articles have mentioned brexit in the headline or subheader, and I'm sure that trend continues and there's references throughout the actual articles but I can't be arsed to check any further. https://www.theguardian.com/profile/williamkeegan.

Who knew a brief as broad as "economics" actually meant writing the same article about the same topic over and over? Then again he went to the right school and university, and his brother was on the board for the Scott Trust so they will publish his pablum until the heat death of the universe.

Sorry what were we talking about?[/nb].

frajer

Just had a guilt trip phone call from family about not travelling home to visit even though it's clearly a fucking terrible time to be travelling while cases are rising and the vast majority of the public are doing fuck all safety measures. Exactly what I needed when I finally got home after a shit day, cheers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Zetetic on November 09, 2021, 06:35:04 PM
Not possible to prevent this by tackling the 'ViD at this point.

Mate you have brought this up many times and I'm honestly not trying to undermine how much strain NHS is under, as can be seen by delaying of operations etc.

As I've said before I'm talking about Gov.uk's horror scenario of BBC covering dying patients stacked down corridors and into car parks.

Zetetic

I don't think you're trying to downplay it.

I note, for completeness, that patients dying stranded in corridors and car parks (or at least ambulance waiting areas) is common - if not yet ubiquitous - across the UK now, whether or not the BBC is choosing to cover it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh Jesus. I know what I mean, you know what I mean, everyone else knows what I mean. Drop this.

bgmnts

I genuinely thought the NHS was already fucked to capacity and people were dying as a result. Enough stories of people dying in ambulances and corridors etc.

Zetetic

Apologies for winding you up, S?S!. I was not meaning too.

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on November 09, 2021, 04:15:30 PM
My bet is that the government will claim everythings fine right up to the last week of November when "Concern" on covid levels will start creeping into the media. things will still be as current for the first week of december so that people fuck all there money off on black friday/cyber monday/christmas shopping stuff. and then they'll introduce a 2 week lockdown half way through the 2nd week of December (my guess will be the 8th/9th) leading up to christmas day when they'll do another "GREAT UNLOCKING TO SAVE CHRISTMAS GOD SAVE THE QUEEN" etc... with segmented lockdowns put in place as part of a shafting in the new year.
I think cases will rise sharply when it gets much colder. We are not below 5 degrees yet consistently, and I recall in the early days of Covid it spread mostly in factories and manufacturing areas for cold and frozen foods.

As for lockdowns, nothing will be on the table until after Christmas. The Polls would suggest that they don't want to be the party that cancelled Christmas twice.

jobotic

Everybody should be pushing to work from home and be wearing masks in recreational indoor settings, pubs bars and restaurants should only let people in whose last vaccine is within 6 months.

So no one under 50 then?*

* in a while

MojoJojo

Yeah, I don't think that really makes much sense. It seems unlikely boosters do much to reduce transmission. LFTs before mixing in public places would make more sense, but I don't know how you do that beyond encouragement.

olliebean

Boosters push you back up to 90%+ protection against infection (no data yet on how long that lasts, obviously, but presumably it won't wane any faster than it does after 2 doses), and the fewer people infected, the less opportunity for transmission.

Mobius

No more masks in Brisbane today. I miss them, hate looking at peoples gormless faces.

Blinder Data

I'm thinking any restrictions would be introduced after Christmas. January fuckdown.

Fambo Number Mive

Johnson seems to be implying that the greatest risk to the UK re covid is from the rest of Europe. Absolutely laughable but it plays into his anti the rest of Europe narrative. Soon they will be blaming covid on the EU.

Will there be a second January lockdown if the government can make out it's the fault of other countries? Hateful xenophobic little turds running the UK

There was always going to be a lockdown in January, cases may spike and deaths likely will go to 500-750 a day. Blaming Europe is just a Boris bonus. He's in the last days of Trump phase, everyone else is to blame.

Fambo Number Mive

Four other customers beside me in the pharmacy this morning. I was the only one masked. They may all be exempt, but it's the first time I've seen so many maskless people in one visit. I'm sure Johnson's maskless hospital visit has helped "nudge" some people away from wearing masks even in medical settings.

Big threat coming from the continent, so we'll be putting European countries back on the amber list, right? Oh, no, it turns out we absolutely won't be doing that.

mothman

Don't be absurd, skiing season starts soon, darling.

Fambo Number Mive

Tory MSP Jamie Greene is calling for compulsory face masks to be scrapped in schools in  Largs and North Ayrshire, with one in 55 people in Scotland testing positive for covid according to the ONS survey and flu season on the way. Just terrifying.

He wants it to be personal choice but surely a classroom would always count as a crowded space (over 20-30 people in one room). I cannot see the justification for scrapping compulsory face masks in schools given Covid cases are so high and we are approaching winter. How good is ventilation in schools in Largs and North Ayrshire?

shoulders

Crenners

Lot of buzz that we'll step things up further week on Monday. Is it possible that we really will get one final FD?

Impossible is nothing, but I really wonder. I doubt the backbenchers or public would have it after the party shit, even accounting for OMICRON.

Crenners

Word on the street is 27th but only a partial FD.

Janie Jones

I've heard that, for England anyway, do you have any details about what 'partial' means? I've heard hospitality can stay open but table service and outdoor only.

Crenners

Quote from: Janie Jones on December 20, 2021, 01:21:53 PMI've heard that, for England anyway, do you have any details about what 'partial' means? I've heard hospitality can stay open but table service and outdoor only.

No idea but I suspect indoor restrictions like you say, both hospitality and homework visits. Feels like they're 'giving' us Christmas this year to avoid the negative PR and then locking down as soon after because the numbers don't give them a choice. WFH pushed harder again. Can't remember what else they did before, feels like a long time since anything was in place that I've noticed.

Zetetic

If there isn't months of furlough involved, it's not really anything at all.

shoulders

The measures I've been reading about were insufficient to stop Delta spread so it is really all a bit pointless unless the command is to stay at home from 27th onwards except for shopping, exercise and jabs.

mothman

Quote from: Janie Jones on December 20, 2021, 01:21:53 PMI've heard that, for England anyway, do you have any details about what 'partial' means? I've heard hospitality can stay open but table service and outdoor only.
You can go out but only to the January Sales.
Spoiler alert
CONSUME
[close]