Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:43:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Elden Ring

Started by Chedney Honks, June 10, 2021, 02:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

I'm concerned also (not bothered about the ps4 graphics) just how they handle the open world on the other hand the reviews are sounding excellent so I'm going in on it.  if not will get on Sifu.

The Crumb

Assuming they don't completely nail it, hoping for a DS2 style falling short of ambition rather than a DS3 playing it too safe.

A part of me thinks what if they have nailed it and we get an excellent open world with an actual feeling of risk and adventure and things actually worth finding?

And another part thinks it's gonna be the pinnacle of From technical jank on ps4. Loading times through the roof, frame rate through the floor.

falafel

I like how we've rewritten history to make Dark Souls not an open world game.

Kelvin

Quote from: falafel on February 17, 2022, 01:41:20 PMI like how we've rewritten history to make Dark Souls not an open world game.

It's not though. Not in the way that 99% of people use and understand that term. You can't go in any direction, your exploration is relatively restricted, there isn't a heavy reliance on side quests, and most importantly, you are still funnelled down linear paths most of the time. As others have said, it's a continuous world with opportunities to explore and do things out of order, but it's not an open world in the way that phrase is traditionally used.   

AngryGazelle

Looking forward to this. I think it will be a very immersive experience and I can't wait to build my character and go explore. 

I am disappointed that they are using the same old engine, and that the graphics are nothing special as a result of that; I do think the art direction makes up for the lack of fidelity somewhat, though.   

falafel

Yeah, you're right Kelvin, I'd love to disagree in a trolly sort of way but it's a funny sort of mishmash of linear and open at the same time.

It is sort of odd how templated From intro cutscenes are at this point. The game will be impressive I'm sure but I'm so numb to the structure of the openers that they might as well say "there's eight big monsters and a cursed mcguffin, you're some sort of zombie stranger, now fuck off".

Thursday

People did sort of call it open world though, I remember certain types of people being very keen to say how much better it was than Skyrim, which was a very weird comparison to make. Just because they were both Fantasy RPG's with a health, stamina and mana bar.

This will be a bit closer but not really.

Crenners

Surely DS is way closer to a MV than an open world game?

Kelvin

Quote from: Crenners on February 17, 2022, 05:57:05 PMSurely DS is way closer to a MV than an open world game?

Yeah, its action adventure, but with the looping, interconnected world design of a metroidvania. There's also light RPG elements, but that's in everything now.

Thursday

Kelvin

Kelvin

Link would ideally be conveying more affection.

Kelvin

falafel

Open world soulstroidvania

oggyraiding

Some interesting starting classes in this one, but I feel like a cheater if I pick anything other than Wretch. Also it's kind of fun having to find your armour from enemy drops and chests, so you're running around with a jumbled terrible looking outfit on.

Thursday

Yeah I saw a good argument for starting as a deprived which is that it makes everything you discover a potential gamechanger. Whereas if you start as a certain class it means you only want items for certain builds which makes most things you discover useless.

chutnut

I'm proper buzzing about this now, kind of wish I'd pre-ordered when I had the chance but now I'll have to wait until payday. Either way it'll be the first time I've ever bought a game as it's been released.
Still managed to avoid most of the network test stuff on youtube so far, although I did get a couple of bosses spoiled

I'm a massive fan of (original) Demon's Souls, DS1 and DS2, and a somewhat lesser fan of DS3, and I'm so stoked about this it's unreal. I've only watched the very first trailer, from way back when, and will deliberately be going in more or less completely blind. My only fear is that Putin will start WW3 before next Friday, so please, Mr. Putin, at least wait until the second week of March!

And I too prefer to start with the most disadvantaged class and shape my character all the way from level 1. Which is especially fun in DS2, where it can take ages before you get some decent gear.

chutnut

I'm surprised by how much people like DS2 on here tbh, I think I genuinely hate it and reckon DS3 is 10x better

The Crumb

Quote from: chutnut on February 18, 2022, 03:11:51 PMI'm surprised by how much people like DS2 on here tbh, I think I genuinely hate it and reckon DS3 is 10x better

DS3 looks nicer and is slicker, but there's a feeling of boredom and obligation hanging over the whole thing. Short, linear, lots of dull dungeon type areas, a high ratio of crummy bosses, endless lazy DS1 callbacks, combat feels weird. It's obvious 90% of their passion and good ideas at the time went into Bloodborne.

DS2 is awkward but endearing, it tries a lot of stuff, some of which doesn't stick. The atmosphere in a lot of areas is great and it feels a lot more flexible with builds.

Quote from: chutnut on February 18, 2022, 03:11:51 PMI'm surprised by how much people like DS2 on here tbh, I think I genuinely hate it and reckon DS3 is 10x better

I'd say the only reason I like DS1 more than DS2, is the nostalgia factor (I still remember when I had to turn down an offer to go Xmas boozing with my friends because I was very busy getting poisoned in Blighttown and especially in the swamp at the bottom. Aah, good times.) Apart from that, I find DS2 better in all respects, especially since it's got no levels on a par with garbage like Demon Ruins.

But if you don't like it, you don't like it. Personally, I dislike Sekiro quite a lot.

chutnut

I've tried to play it 3 times but only managed to finish it once, and I really had to force myself by the end even though the DLCs were the best bit by far. By contrast I can play any other fromsoft game forever as long as I leave a few months in between runs (apart from Demons Souls which I've never played).
I really think almost all the areas in the main game are on a level with Demon Ruins/Izalith (Shrine of Amana is a noticeable exception - shame it's no fun to actually play). Same with the bosses - most of them are just really lazy from what I remember (giant spider, scorpion woman, a big worm, gargoyles again). I've heard people say there's too many knight bosses but I actually like them the most, especially Fume Knight. I just remembered the lost sinner that was a good one too.
I found it the most unfair one by far too, in the other games if I died I knew it was cause I fucked up, but died all the time in DS2 to dodgy mechanics or hitboxes.

I don't think DS3 is perfect by any means though, and only really starts getting good once you're out of the catacombs, some of the late game bosses are absolutely amazing! All the callbacks to DS1 don't really bother me tbh

I hear you, and totally understand, since DS2 is a rather acquired taste, even though you are mostly comparing it to DS3 instead of DS1, which I've been going on about. In my opinion, DS3 is great-looking, but a little shallow, and contrary to DS2 (and DS1), the DLCs are disappointing. That said, if Elden Ring turns out to be nothing more than a Dark Souls open world using DS3-like graphics, I'll be fucking *ecstatic*.

And if you haven't played Demon's Souls, I recommend the RPCS3 emulator (I recently used it to play through it again, and it was smooth as silk).

chutnut

TBH the only reason I was mainly comparing it to DS3 is because that's the kind of posts I was originally referring to (users saying they didn't like DS3 much but liked DS2).
I was planning on waiting (potentially years) until I get a PS5 to play the Demon's Souls remake, but that emulator is very tempting. I've got a pretty shit graphics card on my laptop so not sure how well it'll work but I'll definitely give it a go thanks!

Go for it! And if you do, this might come in handy: https://www.reddit.com/r/demonssouls/comments/8ejkbx/guide_for_setting_up_demon_souls_on_a_ps3_emulator/

(It refers to an older version of the emulator, but if you apply the settings you can find in your version, it should work. It's what I did.)

Dickie_Anders

I couldn't get on with DS2 at all. The movement felt really weird and floaty, the areas felt haphazardly thrown together and weak. Seemed like the devs' idea of challenge there was to overpopulate areas with the same annoying cunt enemy 20 times. In general it didn't feel like it had as much love and attention put into creating a cool world to explore as the first Dark Souls did. I feel like the overall world design in DS1 towers over every From Software game in the last decade, and most 3D games during that period in honesty

I've been playing DS3 for the first time recently and I like it quite a bit. It feels more like a progression from DS1. The overall world is more linear but the areas themselves are bigger and much more open so that the player can easily get lost exploring them, different from the more corridor-like design of previous games. Seems like a step up in terms of difficulty as well, individual enemies seem harder to kill and more aggressive. It feels more like a true sequel in the way game sequels used to be - i.e.: it's bigger and harder (lol)

Originally wasn't looking forward much to Elden Ring because it just seemed like more of the same, but after playing DS3 now I'm quite interested. There was a weird VR adventure game From Software made recently called Déraciné that I watched someone play on YouTube. Looked really good. Part of me wishes that they went in more experimental directions like this

brat-sampson

Final Overview Trailer

shows areas/enemies etc, of course, so avoid if you're spoiler-phobic, but also there's no real context for anything so I thought it was fine. In terms of hype, this trailer is incredible. I am *so* ready for this game now.

The Crumb

That trailer was great, for some reason the bit that really did it for me was the brief showing of 13th century style knight armour with a great helm.

Kelvin

Looks amazing. They really do have the best art/character design in the industry. It's not even close. 

chutnut

Quote from: Sex Festival Organizer on February 18, 2022, 04:42:11 PMGo for it! And if you do, this might come in handy: https://www.reddit.com/r/demonssouls/comments/8ejkbx/guide_for_setting_up_demon_souls_on_a_ps3_emulator/

(It refers to an older version of the emulator, but if you apply the settings you can find in your version, it should work. It's what I did.)

Well I gave this a go but unfortunately the graphics card said no, who would have thought onboard Intel HD graphics wouldn't be good enough to play a proper game lol.
Good news is that I ended up pre-ordering Elden Ring, can't bloody wait. Definitely not watching that trailer

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on February 19, 2022, 03:23:39 PMI couldn't get on with DS2 at all. The movement felt really weird and floaty, the areas felt haphazardly thrown together and weak. Seemed like the devs' idea of challenge there was to overpopulate areas with the same annoying cunt enemy 20 times. In general it didn't feel like it had as much love and attention put into creating a cool world to explore as the first Dark Souls did. I feel like the overall world design in DS1 towers over every From Software game in the last decade, and most 3D games during that period in honesty
These are all things I thought too, especially the floaty character movements