Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Elden Ring

Started by Chedney Honks, June 10, 2021, 02:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

The Guppy

I never preorder games. Preordering is for chumps. Games are overpriced at release, buggy, and the online element will probably be a shitshow. It's for chumps.

But I just preordered this. Fuuuuuck I need it.

Inspector Norse

Do we think this will be good on X1/PS4 or is it just for those who've got their hands on the new machines?

chutnut

Fucking better be good on ps4

The Guppy

Network test was fine on PS4.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Inspector Norse on February 21, 2022, 07:56:43 PMDo we think this will be good on X1/PS4 or is it just for those who've got their hands on the new machines?
I'm sure it'll be perfectly overrated, no matter what system it's on.

The Crumb

Quote from: The Guppy on February 21, 2022, 05:32:58 PMI never preorder games. Preordering is for chumps. Games are overpriced at release, buggy, and the online element will probably be a shitshow. It's for chumps.

But I just preordered this. Fuuuuuck I need it.

Preordering on disk was quite a bit cheaper than the PSN asking price, that's my excuse.

Thursday

Pre-ordering is fine. It's "Waiting to see reviews" that's for chumps.

Fry

I am incredibly excited for this. I completed Dark Souls when it was released on Switch and played Bloodborne a few months ago, I consider both among the greatest games I've ever played.

I've successfully avoided learning basically anything about this, only knowing its Open World Dark Souls, and my aim is to try to fully complete it at least twice before engaging in any discussion about it online. With the previous two games I've resorted to guides for at least one tough part  and ended up accidentally ruining something I wish I'd figured out myself.

One question I do have, do people get the impression that starting classes are more important here than in other From games?

brat-sampson

There's now also a Launch Trailer out but I've been given the impression it feels more spoilery, so if you're just looking for a quick hype injection I'd stick to the Overview trailer linked on the previous page.

Quote from: Fry on February 23, 2022, 07:21:38 AMOne question I do have, do people get the impression that starting classes are more important here than in other From games?

Nope, it's been made clear that regardless of your starting class, you can choose to spec your character however you want as you progress through the game. You won't be making the most of your (minor) starting advantage, but otherwise there's no restriction on what any character can use/do other than their stats at that time.

The Guppy

I'm going to choose the naked, useless Wretch. I want to spend the first couple of hours scrabbling around, grateful for every single item that drops.

Don't watch any trailers if you don't want to be spoiled. I watched the Launch Trailer yesterday and regret it. Looks fucking great though.

brat-sampson

If only I'd posted my warning sooner

druss

Quote from: Thursday on February 21, 2022, 09:55:30 PMPre-ordering is fine. It's "Waiting to see reviews" that's for chumps.
Speaking of which, the review embargo is lifted today. Unlikely to tell us anything, I think a game this hyped is always going to get rave reviews. I suppose if the reviews were shit across the board then it might be cause for concern but that seems unlikely.

Even though it's not a guarantee of a good game, I'm excited to see all the inevitably high scores released later which will get me even more pumped for it.

Decided to try to tick off some of the achievements I missed for the platinum on Dark Souls 3 and fuck me it's a grind, made the mistake of thinking "I'll just grind offline for the covenant rewards" but I don't think it's going to happen, spent over an hour trying to grind "proof of concord kept" from the silver knights in Anor Londo last night, earning nearly 1 million souls with item find of over 350. I needed to get 30 for the miracle achievement. Not a single one dropped. Don't think platinum is happening before Elden Ring.

The Guppy

Quote from: druss on February 23, 2022, 09:25:31 AMDecided to try to tick off some of the achievements I missed for the platinum on Dark Souls 3 and fuck me it's a grind, made the mistake of thinking "I'll just grind offline for the covenant rewards" but I don't think it's going to happen, spent over an hour trying to grind "proof of concord kept" from the silver knights in Anor Londo last night, earning nearly 1 million souls with item find of over 350. I needed to get 30 for the miracle achievement. Not a single one dropped. Don't think platinum is happening before Elden Ring.
I did that. It took an unbelievably long time. The silver knights were bad, but the worst was "Vertebra Shackle" from the skeletons in the Catacombs.

DocDaneeka

Got this a bit early. Really good so far, great atmosphere as expected, more of a Bloodborne feel than Souls.

I was really surprised by one thing I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere though, if you die three times in a row on a boss, a dialogue pops up and gives you the option for Funky Kong to come and do it for you.

druss

Quote from: DocDaneeka on February 23, 2022, 03:11:47 PMI was really surprised by one thing I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere though, if you die three times in a row on a boss, a dialogue pops up and gives you the option for Funky Kong to come and do it for you.
This only happens if you select the bandana starting gift.

brat-sampson

Reviews are in. It's basically the best game of all time.

Chollis

had the day off work tomorrow (unrelated) so shame it's only out at 11pm. guess i know what i'm doing this weekend

Cuellar

So I suppose I'd better buy this then and install it then I suppose.

chutnut

try opening and then playing it after that installation too imo

Cuellar

Thursday

Quote from: druss on February 23, 2022, 09:25:31 AMSpeaking of which, the review embargo is lifted today. Unlikely to tell us anything, I think a game this hyped is always going to get rave reviews. I suppose if the reviews were shit across the board then it might be cause for concern but that seems unlikely.

Even though it's not a guarantee of a good game, I'm excited to see all the inevitably high scores released later which will get me even more pumped for it.

Decided to try to tick off some of the achievements I missed for the platinum on Dark Souls 3 and fuck me it's a grind, made the mistake of thinking "I'll just grind offline for the covenant rewards" but I don't think it's going to happen, spent over an hour trying to grind "proof of concord kept" from the silver knights in Anor Londo last night, earning nearly 1 million souls with item find of over 350. I needed to get 30 for the miracle achievement. Not a single one dropped. Don't think platinum is happening before Elden Ring.

Yup the reviews are extremely positive, which I do take with vast quantities of salt, but they are very very positive, and not just "Well it's more Souls if you like that kind of thing." So I'm getting optimistic for something that while maybe not on the DS1/Bloodborne level, will be above DS2/DS3

druss

I don't see why they couldn't make something as good as DS1/Bloodborne, or even exceed both of them. This isn't a Ricky Gervais and The Office lightning only striking once thing, they've consistently made very good games and a couple of all time great ones. Maybe this will be the best yet.

Come oooooooooon! Stupid time, why must it go so slowly?

BRen

I don't know if I should buy this, it looks and sounds amazing, but I've given up on Bloodborne and DS1, completed the PS5 Demon's Souls remake though. Never played any of the other Souls or Soulslike games.

I'm just not generally a fan of games that sport how difficult they are as a selling point, and I'm also not very good at them either.

Mobius

I think we all knew this would be good, and From Software are obviously likeable cool guys that reviewers aren't going to shit on but wow, it does sound as if this is literally the greatest videogame ever made. Seems to be the highest rated game ever basically and the praise is absolutely gushing. Pretty cool and exciting.

Can't fucking wait to spend all weekend playing this.

brat-sampson

Quote from: BRen on February 23, 2022, 11:03:58 PMI don't know if I should buy this, it looks and sounds amazing, but I've given up on Bloodborne and DS1, completed the PS5 Demon's Souls remake though. Never played any of the other Souls or Soulslike games.

I'm just not generally a fan of games that sport how difficult they are as a selling point, and I'm also not very good at them either.

Not sure that's as much the case here. A number of reviews I've read have commented that thanks to the breadth of options available, deep magic systems and the sheer mass of what there is to see, explore and experience in this game, it's probably their most accessible game so far. If you get stuck on a boss, it's no longer a bottleneck in the same way it was. You can leave, farm up a ton of new equipment and levels, come back and tackle it again in a different style. I'm sure it's still challenging, but it's not Sekiro-challenging.

Inspector Norse

All I want to know is can you spend five hours running back and forth in a sewer twatting rats to farm humanity? That's my fondest memory of Dark Souls

Swoz_MK

Eeee, my copy has arrived.
I never buy anything on release and I've somehow got this early. Will disc copies be locked until tomorrow too?
Had a look at starting classes online, my fancy Mage lad from the network test isn't there, bastard.

oggyraiding

Played about six hours today. Combat is pretty much the same as DS3, which is not a bad thing. Side dungeons/caves/mines are a mixed bag, some of them feel like Bloodborne chalice dungeons. World seems pretty big, lots of little hidden away places to explore. I'm stuck on the (I assume compulsory) boss that was in the network test, Margit I think. Too hard for me right now, so I can just fuck off to another area instead. Lore is very finger centric.