Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Elden Ring

Started by Chedney Honks, June 10, 2021, 02:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Quote from: Thursday on November 13, 2021, 01:45:59 PM
Weird thread this. Lots of people feeling the need to weigh in on a game they aren't interested in?

I'd like to be interested in it, I love the Souls games, and to a lesser extent although it was still good, Sekiro. Never got far with Bloodborne because it involved plugging in the PS4 and switching hdmi cables around and I can't be bothered with that so the PS4 is in the cupboard under the stairs.

Elden Ring just looks a bit tired. You can say that they just reuse animations/models etc. but Sekiro was different and I thought this was meant to be a 'new IP' (although I don't really kow what that means). And didn't someone say not just expect Dark Souls 4 (which is pretty much exactly what it llooks like to me).

Chedney Honks

It's an open world FROM Software game. The major change is that it's an open world game, quite obviously. That's been apparent since the first bits of news came out. I understand people being tired of both the FROM formula and open world games - I largely am myself - but I find the sighs quite funny. It's possible to make up another game in your head and be disappointed it's not that, but it's a curious way to approach, well, anything. Of course, it happens all the time on here.

Cuellar

Is it? That's just how thinking works, isn't it

Chedney Honks

No, it actually isn't, unless you only live in the moment and don't have any sense of context or 'information'.

Going to a steakhouse tonight.

Hope they're not just doing steak again.

I fancy something like I dunno Indonesian.

Tut.

Cuellar

Going to a new restaurant owned by those guys who have a few steak restaurants, they said it's not just steak this time, hope it's something nice

Oh it's actually just bowls of dog shit

Tut

More like.

Cuellar

Or if you insist on this restaurant metaphor, me reading about Elden Ring a year or so ago is them putting a flyer through my door that says 'From the people who brought you STEAKS, new restaurant! Coming soon!' and then I go 'that sounds interesting, I liked STEAKS', then me watching people stream it has been the equivalent of getting another one through the door saying 'New restaurant from the STEAKS people website now live! Check out our menu!', so I do check it out and yeah it just lists lots of different bowls of dogshit, but some with chunks of steak in so now I'm a bit disappointed and I probably won't visit the restaurant

And it's a restaurant where you can wander around freely looking at stuff before ultimately having to take a seat and follow the prescribed course of ordering/eating/paying for your dog shit.

Chedney Honks

Glad you're up to it speed with what it is. Big bowl of dogshit all round. X

Cuellar

I'm glad you're up to speed with the perverse and insane concept of 'hearing about something, thinking you might like it then hearing more about it and deciding it looks boring'.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

But it's great, because the STEAKS are really tough and you have to chew each bite fifty times. Some people say the cooks should make them just a bit less tough, but those people just need to git gob, or to back to eating baby food - those are the only possible options!

Cuellar

Open World Games - do we need em?

Chedney Honks

I can't remember being less interested in a FROM game, to be honest. I'll play it and enjoy it but Bloodborne was the last time I was actually buzzing for one of their games (plug in your PS4, hoss). It's just that this looks like exactly what they said it would be. I already know what it will feel like.

I'll get it just to see if there are some visually interesting areas or cool lore. I expect very little. I haven't actually watched any of the recent footage or whatever, not because I want to go in blind, I'm just not that interested right now and don't care about hype. I'll buy it day one, play it and likely enjoy it, and whatever I feel then, great.

falafel

My dog ate human shit yesterday, we were on a walk and by the time I realised it was too late

Game looks fine

druss

Really disappointed that this is just going to be exactly like an open world version of one of the best games of all time that I really loved, was hoping for a rival to Mario Kart.

Inspector Norse

What I really want from this game is to pack a special Paul Pogba with 99 pace

Thursday

You say that, now I want an ultimate team made up of Souls Npc's and phantoms

chutnut

Well I'm excited about it you bunch of grumpybuggers

Finding it very hard to resist watching all the streams of the network test on youtube but don't want to spoil too much of it (I did see that first boss though - looks like
Spoiler alert
a dark souls gyoubu
[close]
)

Chedney Honks

It'll be great, there's just little point discussing most things here.

Thursday

One of the exciting things about the network was that if they're willing to show off this much of the map now, how big will be the main game be?

It's been a long time since I've been excited by the prospect of a huge open world.

Thursday

Didn't even notice in my time with it, but it seems Elden Ring has the power stancing from DS2

Cold Meat Platter

Does open-world only mean a generic open-world, now? Because Dark Souls wasn't discrete levels, it was contiguous areas, was it not?

Chedney Honks

Speak engkish buddy, we didn't all go to Gamer U

Go griffin's!

Cold Meat Platter

How this more open world than Dark Souls except flatter?

Chedney Honks

The 'open' bit is the key difference, I'd say. Freedom of movement and approach vs branching paths. Is Super Metroid open world? Etc. I do take your point about contiguous areas, of course, you can walk from Ash Lake to the top of Sen's. Structurally, it's a series of corridors, though.

druss

Next week then. I'm meant to be finishing a degree over the next few months so I really shouldn't be playing this but I can't remember the last time I was this pumped for a game so I'll have to dip in a bit I think. I'm absolutely fine with a carbon copy of Dark Souls but open world.

Mobius

Quote from: druss on February 16, 2022, 06:52:58 PMI'm absolutely fine with a carbon copy of Dark Souls but open world.

I think this is all anyone hopes for, and it does seem to be exactly that.

I'm really hyped. The early previews and stuff, from people who've played, are overwhelmingly fantastic.

Just want the next week to whiz by.

Crenners

I'm not really looking forward to it at all because it is looks like a PS4 open world game mixed with DS3 but I've pre-ordered and I trust the opinion of Thursday and some other dudes who were in the Network Test.

Thursday

Lol got ya. It's going to be shit. I was so bored during the network test. Awful game.

druss

Quote from: Crenners on February 16, 2022, 08:33:31 PMit is looks like a PS4 open world game mixed with DS3

I don't know how that wouldn't be enough for anyone. DS3 might not be the best game they've ever made but it was still fucking amazing.

Crenners

I didn't really feel that way. It felt like treading water, nothing unique to it, whiff of contractual obligation.

I have to be honest, I played through four or five builds so I enjoyed it mechanically but I have no fond memories or attachment. Three runs were on the Japanese language release and that was really exciting trying to imagine what was going on but when the Western release arrived, the reality was much less interesting. It didn't connect with me on any level beyond the combat. Elden Ring looks like the same engine and art direction but with lots of horseback riding between areas.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I'm not expecting an all-timer after B-tier Sekiro and DS3.

Also, the PS4 comment is because it looks quite dated alongside Demon's remake and especially stuff like Horizon Forbidden West.

brat-sampson

I'm definitely stoked and have my PC pre-order ready. I think we're in for some really interesting environments outside of what people expect, some crazy completely optional shit and yeah just a rollicking ball-busting good time.