Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:27:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmic-hearse

AS Byatt & Margaret Drabble are sisters. When did this happen?!

holyzombiejesus

And Drabble was married to Clive "Richard 'Mr Hyacinth Bouquet' Bucket' Swift and they had Gardeners World's Joe Swift who I can't believe I have ever looked at without noticing the father/ son resemblance.

pigamus

The extension they built on Broadcasting House cost a billion pounds.

A *billion* pounds.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on July 22, 2021, 08:05:15 PM
AS Byatt & Margaret Drabble are sisters. When did this happen?!
Their younger sister is the art historian Helen Langdon who wrote a well-known biography of Caravaggio (I own books by Drabble and Langdon but have not completed the trio).

dissolute ocelot

Probably more sad than amazing, but it depends on your emotional attachment to fish. From the Wikipedia article on fish migration, subsection on forage fish (small fish such as herrings, anchovies, sardines):
QuoteForage fish often make great migrations between their spawning, feeding and nursery grounds. Schools of a particular stock usually travel in a triangle between these grounds. For example, one stock of herrings have their spawning ground in southern Norway, their feeding ground in Iceland, and their nursery ground in northern Norway. Wide triangular journeys such as these may be important because forage fish, when feeding, cannot distinguish their own offspring.

NoSleep

"She sells sea shells by the sea shore" is (possibly) about the pioneering paleontologist Mary Anning (1799-1847).

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on July 28, 2021, 11:20:16 AM
"She sells sea shells by the sea shore" is (possibly) about the pioneering paleontologist Mary Anning (1700-1847).

Pioneering in her longevity if she got to 147. Perhaps she was a snooker enthusiast.

NoSleep

touchingcloth

Paul Calf

Paul Calf

Perhaps not an amazing thing, but it tickled me.

The Heaven's Gate death cult all had patches on their clothing declaring them to be 'Heaven's Gate Away Team' when they checked out to ride to heaven on Hale-Bopp's tail.

I can't say why I found this darkly comic.

NoSleep

Paul Calf

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 26, 2021, 12:16:32 PM
Their younger sister is the art historian Helen Langdon who wrote a well-known biography of Caravaggio (I own books by Drabble and Langdon but have not completed the trio).

They ALL have different surnames, ridiculous

pigamus

Gaby Roslin on The Big Breakfast was supposed to be Emma Forbes, but she pulled out because they took the piss out of Andi Peters.

beanheadmcginty

The Hollywood sign was absolutely fucked for most of the 1970s and the one we have now is a replacement erected in 1978. The letters are 5ft shorter than the original and each one was paid for by different notable people/organisations. The first O was paid for by Alice Cooper and the Y by Hugh Hefner. Also, the W isn't remotely symmetrical.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 11, 2021, 12:40:18 AM
The Hollywood sign was absolutely fucked for most of the 1970s and the one we have now is a replacement erected in 1978. The letters are 5ft shorter than the original and each one was paid for by different notable people/organisations. The first O was paid for by Alice Cooper and the Y by Hugh Hefner. Also, the W isn't remotely symmetrical.

I didn't know that but apparently you need to pay some cunts if you want to film something with it in shot. Which is why Brooker did a piece in front of it obscuring it with a crappy Hollywood sign paperweight.

Mr Banlon

holyzombiejesus

The Hollywood sign, of course, copied on the famous Kindness sign in the Todmorden Morrisons car park.

beanheadmcginty

beanheadmcginty

The word "galactic" relates to milk, as in the Milky Way and lactose. That's fucked my astronomer hat and then subsequently fucked my chocolatier's hat.

Sonny_Jim

That's definitely fucked my hat in a cosmological way....

touchingcloth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 12, 2021, 03:15:07 AM
The word "galactic" relates to milk, as in the Milky Way and lactose. That's fucked my astronomer hat and then subsequently fucked my chocolatier's hat.

A definition I've just seen read

adj., Physiology.
pertaining to or stimulating the secretion of milk.

Yummy yummy secretions, nom.

I wonder if that meaning where Galaxy gets its name from as well as Milky Ways.

Echo Valley 2-6809

The Greeks called it Galaxias Kyklos. The myth of its formation involved Hera reluctantly having to breastfeed Heracles and pushing him away in anger, causing milk to splash into the sky. The Romans later called it Via Lactea.

In other tit news, I was coincidentally staring at the Milky Way band running west-east overhead at 3 o'clock this morning as I looked for Perseids.

touchingcloth

Interesting that the root of the word "galaxy" as an astronomical object seems to have come after "milky" was used as an adjective for our own galaxy.

Proper belted my hat's arse up the arse, that. I never would have thought it would have been that way around.

In a similar vein, I remember my chapeau being violated when I heard (on QI?) that the Arctic was named after the Greek word for bear, "arktos", which was explained as being due to the widespread presence of the cuddly polar variety. Turns out it was named after Ursa Major, the Great Bear constellation prominent in northern skies.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on August 12, 2021, 12:06:15 PM
In a similar vein, I remember my chapeau being violated when I heard (on QI?) that the Arctic was named after the Greek word for bear, "arktos", which was explained as being due to the widespread presence of the cuddly polar variety. Turns out it was named after Ursa Major, the Great Bear constellation prominent in northern skies.

"Arktos" is nothing like "Ursa". Beware of Greeks, they're absolute dunces.

idunnosomename

Imagine looking at the night sky and thinking "here that looks like a lass has dribbled her tit all over it"