Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:56:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

touchingcloth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 15, 2021, 03:07:42 PM
This confused me for ages. Also, the capital of Saskatchewan isn't Saskatoon, it's Regina, although Saskatoon is the biggest city. Regina is pronounced to rhyme with vagina (or miner not meaner, in non-rhotic English accents).

I pronounce it va-geena.

Ferris

Quote from: canadagoose on July 15, 2021, 05:42:30 PM
Edinburgh/Glasgow ;)

As a former resident of Edinburgh, I'm happy to confirm that it is by far the nicer and better city. Just a better class of people all around, you know.

dissolute ocelot

Just found more exciting Saskatoon and Saskatchewan facts, all you fans of the boring bits of Canada. Apparently Saskatoon doesn't mean "Saskatchewan town" named by Geordie immigrants; the names were originally unconnected. Saskatoon is probably named after Saskatoon berries (misâskwatômina in Cree) and specifically the Cree misâskwatôminiskâhk meaning "place with many Saskatoon berries", although there's an alternative story it means "place with willow trees" (for making arrows with). Saskatchewan is named after the Saskatchewan river which probably derives from kisiskāciwani-sīpiy ("swift-flowing river"). So evidently English-speaking locals jumbled up the two and assumed they were the same, but they are not.

Ferris

Paul Calf

Dex Sawash

seepage

My hat's usually safe on this matter, but yesterday I temporarily forgot that the Montepulciano grape isn't actually grown in the vineyards around Montepulciano, the wines from the town being made from Sangiovese instead.

Ferris

Crickets speed up or slow down the speed of their chirps in a linear relation to the air temperature around them. If you count the number of chirps they make in 8 seconds and add 5, that'll give you a pretty accurate approximation of the temperature (in Celsius).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolbear%27s_law

Dusty Substance

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 17, 2021, 11:43:06 PM
The image on the right looks like something an owlphile would have on their hard drive.
strigiphile

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 18, 2021, 11:41:22 AM
strigiphile
Fuck, whenever you mention owlphilia there's always someone who pops up to say "No, that's actually strigiphilia".

Replies From View

The image on the right looks like something an owlphile would have on their hard drive.

"I would assume"

olliebean

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 18, 2021, 01:26:50 PM
Fuck, whenever you mention owlphilia there's always someone who pops up to say "No, that's actually strigiphilia".

A strigipedant.

Cerys

I don't know what you mean....

touchingcloth

These vanilla passerinophilic fuckwits thinking any tytibopper worth their salt would be interested in that pic.

gib

mastodons, hairy elephants similar to mammoths, were named by a man who noticed that their teeth look a bit like tits

touchingcloth

Mumbles in Swansea is named for a putative topographic similarity to breasts.

Basically the real life version of Mark Heap buying The Ritz in Jam so he can rename is The Titz.

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 22, 2021, 01:31:05 PM
Mumbles in Swansea is named for a putative topographic similarity to breasts.

Basically the real life version of Mark Heap buying The Ritz in Jam so he can rename is The Titz.

Same as the Paps of Jura, among others (paps being an archaic word for breasts).  There must basically just have been groups of randy sailors going around naming maritime landmarks after tits, I think. 'Mumbles' is supposed to have been named by French sailors after 'les mamelles'.

QuoteThey are steep-sided quartzite hills with distinctive conical shapes resembling breasts. The word pap is an ancient word of Old Norse origin for the breast. The Paps are conspicuous hills that dominate the island landscape as well as the landscape of the surrounding area

touchingcloth

Ferris

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 22, 2021, 02:05:05 PM
Same as the Paps of Jura, among others (paps being an archaic word for breasts).  There must basically just have been groups of randy sailors going around naming maritime landmarks after tits, I think. 'Mumbles' is supposed to have been named by French sailors after 'les mamelles'.

The Tetons in Wyoming/Idaho are also named for this reason.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2021, 02:17:58 PM
The Tetons in Wyoming/Idaho are also named for this reason.

The titular mountains of Ansel Adams' great work. No prizes for guessing whence comes the name of the Snake River.