Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gigs in the time of COVID

Started by Kankurette, July 05, 2021, 10:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

We Out Here had a comically low amount of hand sanitizer.

sardines

Quote from: bgmnts on August 23, 2021, 06:31:15 PM
Did anyone get fucked up with the hippies at Green Man the other day?

Didn't go but have been watching this and End of the Road with interest as they seem the 'respectable' types of festival where people would follow guidance.
Doesn't seem to be the case. A lot of talk about everyone being happy to feel "normal" . No obligatory mask wearing apart from staff,no distancing or attempts at creating extra space.

Surprised by how many are sold on this false promise of normality. I get claustrophobic just thinking about packed tents and moshing.

In a couple of weeks you have Wide Awake, End of the Road and Manchester Psych Fest effectively rotating line ups. Will be interesting to see how many acts make it to the Sunday as I assume they have to test daily.

idunnosomename

been to a couple of local shows this weekend, surreal to be back. massively pissed blokes (always blokes) wanting to be all shakey-hands slap-back with the rest of the crowd and the performers bit concerning.

not really bothered personally, maybe i just never liked that shit anyway because im a miserable bastard. well ok I like shaking hands with the band after a cracking set but its stupid to do it now. all of the bands politely refused of course (or pretended not to notice)

also back to not washing hands. the last gig I went to 9th March 2020, every hairy old cunt was scrubbing them like Lady Macbeth

Kankurette

I still sanitise mine.

Does anyone know if bands are letting fans backstage? I ask cos Space always do.

idunnosomename

it's totally up to the band themselves now so they could if they wanted to. gonna see Blaze Bayley in a few weeks, he's usually a great egg in that he has a free meet 'n' greet after the show where anyone can get pics with him or get anything he's ever sung on signed (iron maiden, wolfsbane) but he's said he's not going to do any this year, and just make sure there's plenty of signed stuff for sale instead. which i think is totally right. it's finally the right time to start getting back to normal, but there should still be some precautions. certainly not shaking hands with dozens of hairy blokes.

Pauline Walnuts

I did refuse to shake hands, or was it hug?, off a certain rather obscure popstarette, because I felt like I had a cold coming on, and they were really grateful.

Suppose a professional singers just off the plane and probably won't appreciate getting a dose of good honest UK lurgi, never mind the 'Vid. Unless they're drunk or off their gourd on drugs, I guess.

Pauline Walnuts

Also I went to a socially distanced one a few months ago. I got pinged. 😞

Pranet

Quote from: sardines on August 24, 2021, 06:12:29 AM
Didn't go but have been watching this and End of the Road with interest as they seem the 'respectable' types of festival where people would follow guidance.
Doesn't seem to be the case. A lot of talk about everyone being happy to feel "normal" . No obligatory mask wearing apart from staff,no distancing or attempts at creating extra space.

Surprised by how many are sold on this false promise of normality. I get claustrophobic just thinking about packed tents and moshing.

In a couple of weeks you have Wide Awake, End of the Road and Manchester Psych Fest effectively rotating line ups. Will be interesting to see how many acts make it to the Sunday as I assume they have to test daily.

Been an End of the Road regular for a few years and when I saw there were plenty of tickets being resold- at a discount- I thought about it but nah, think I'll leave it and let other people be the guinea pigs.

I'm not that bothered about covid- I've been working through this, been to the pub a few times, used public transport- but spending four days with loads of other people, crowded coach there and back- I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. I get irritated by other people by the end of festivals anyway.

Also, lots of stories about there being problems with the number of toilets at festivals and after a couple of days of drinking and eating festival food my arse gets excitable so I don't want to risk EOTR having problems as well.

Kankurette

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 30, 2021, 12:26:00 AM
it's totally up to the band themselves now so they could if they wanted to. gonna see Blaze Bayley in a few weeks, he's usually a great egg in that he has a free meet 'n' greet after the show where anyone can get pics with him or get anything he's ever sung on signed (iron maiden, wolfsbane) but he's said he's not going to do any this year, and just make sure there's plenty of signed stuff for sale instead. which i think is totally right. it's finally the right time to start getting back to normal, but there should still be some precautions. certainly not shaking hands with dozens of hairy blokes.
Space are doing a meet 'n' greet at a record store, so I assume they're not arsed about COVID. Tommy got bollocked by security staff in Liverpool for shaking hands with fans.

On a smaller level, one of my mates is in a band called Weimar and they've cancelled their Manchester gigs for COVID reasons. I was looking forward to seeing them but my mate is pretty cagey about doing anything gig-related right now, so I understand.

holyzombiejesus

The venue down the road has just announced a secret(ish) Stereolab show for Friday so I think that will be my first gig in about 2 years. Don't think they're asking for masks and it's quite a small room so it's quite risky but I think the locals are generally behaving themselves (the anti-lockdown preacher woman in the market square constantly gets heckled and most shops are still asking for masks to be worn) so it's probably just about worth the risk.

Inspector Norse

Just been to see Dungen under a motorway bridge. We all had to sit down, even afterwarda when the frontman was DJing. Felt good after 18 gig-free months.
No unnecessary contact apart from a disabled girl who asked for a hand onto the bench next to mine which I could hardly refuse, although I kept bumping into people I knew and hadn't seen for ages, and we weren't sure how we were supposed to greet one another.

jobotic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 30, 2021, 03:10:43 PM
The venue down the road has just announced a secret(ish) Stereolab show for Friday so I think that will be my first gig in about 2 years. Don't think they're asking for masks and it's quite a small room so it's quite risky but I think the locals are generally behaving themselves (the anti-lockdown preacher woman in the market square constantly gets heckled and most shops are still asking for masks to be worn) so it's probably just about worth the risk.

I'm a bit jealous after seeing them at a pre-tour tiny gig in Ramsgate a couple of years ago. They were fantastic, as good as back in the day - but we were packed into a tiny sweaty ventilation free room and I don't think I could do that at the moment.

Kankurette

I missed Beabadoobee last night due to having a rotten cold/sore throat, and because the trial people told me to stay home and then do some PCR tests so the trial company can pick them up. I'm supposed to be going to Hull on Friday around midday to see Space, and I'm going with mates, so I hope to fuck I get my results before then because it's going to be just a tad awkward if we're on a motorway and I get a call going 'oh hay thar Kankurette, looks like you have the 'rona.' I don't think I do because I did a lateral flow test and it was negative, but better safe than sorry, I guess. And then I have to do a spit test on Saturday.

Every time I get a cold I have to report the symptoms just in case it actually is you-know-what. It's a pain.

WhoMe

Bought a couple of tix for King Hannah on the 27th October, so that's a new lockdown all but confirmed for mid-October some time. Cheers.

Kankurette

My test was negative, so that's a relief.

SweetPomPom

Feels like anywhere thats big and corporate is asking for LFTs or jabs and anywhere arts councilly or charity funded is saying don't bother about that, we trust you. Barely seen any masks at either.

Kankurette

Apparently when Space played in Scotland, the audience had masks on but nobody did in the Adelphi. Which, as natives of Hull will know, is tiny. I wonder if anyone's going to get the 'rona. One of my mates went backstage after the gig so I assume Space aren't arsed.

bomb_dog

Saw A.A.Williams last Sunday in Bristol, lateral flow 'proof' (ie whatever people told the government their result was), and masks except in your seat made it about as sensible as you could get in a reduced-risk way. Great gig, even though the support act had to cry off as they or their family had caught the 'vid.

Only about 60 people there though I think but if this covid passport thing isn't going to roll then I don't think I'll be seeing other bands in more sweatier cramped circumstances until the numbers significantly drop, vaccine-d up or not.

Someone at work got it last week and they've spent most of the week exhausted and useless, stuck at home. Could have been worse but I don't fancy a dose.

Sorry, musicians.

Kankurette

I'm seeing the Manics next month and they've had to change their support because they were going to have the Anchoress, but she's dropped out. Apparently she's clinically vulnerable and gigging is too risky for her.

JaDanketies

Damn I thought I was going to loads of concerts this month but they've almost all been fucking postponed. Billie Marten on the 29th September and I hate to say it Billie but I was looking forwards to you the least

SweetPomPom

The Furs have just cancelled their UK tour which was only a couple of weeks away. Saw A.A. Williams on Saturday supporting the Sisters at the Roundhouse. No checks or LFTs to get in and the first thing I've been to that had a hot, sweaty bouncy crowd. Waiting on PCR now..

non capisco

Went to the Wide Awake one-dayer in Brockwell Park a couple of weeks back, appear to have dodged the 'vid despite being caught up in the moment and throwing myself around the pit for Black Midi like someone who isn't in their 40s. I don't know if it's too good to be true and too early to say that the pandemic may have made gig attendees more inclined to live in the moment but one thing I immediately noticed was that no-one was doing the "filming the entire gig on their phone" carry-on. I really enjoyed Wide Awake, it was like Field Day but without all the knobheads.

flotemysost

^ My flatmate went to that and a couple of days later I too was wide awake, thanks to her coughing through the night like a sea lion with emphysema. Negative PCR thankfully, so it just seems to be standard party lurgy.

SpiderChrist

Finally bit the bullet and fucked off the Gruff Rhys gig and a gig I was meant to be playing in October.

Mate of mine went to Maui Waui with his family (and quite a few gigs/pubs prior to that) and now he and his daughter have to isolate cos his missus got the covid.

Another friend is at Equinox this weekend and I think he's fucking mad and irresponsible, particularly as both his missus and his son have had covid and he has a heart condition.

Mate of mine bought me a ticket as a birthday present to see Public Service Broadcasting in November and I think that'll have to be off the cards too. Not too bothered about that, though, tbh.

I see so many FB posts of friends going to gigs and festies. They're all fucking mental. Had to sack off Facebook again because it's just doing my head in.

JaDanketies

If I can't go to a gig now despite being double vaxxed alongside the rest of the population, when can I go? Hospitalisation levels are much lower than they have been previously, and tbh my infirm grandad and my infirm grandfather in law have both since snuffed it anyway. Could be another year again before the Delta variant vaccine comes out if it ever does, and high vaccination rates for this variant might never happen. I'm just behaving like I did in 2019 except for occasionally feeling guilty when I see a customer service worker helping me whole wearing a mask indoors.

When will you guys feel safe to go out again? I am worried that people will never feel safe again. My dead dad was never diagnosed with any mental health problem but he was 'OCD' about germs, like he didn't touch door handles or light switches, and I don't think he would've ever felt safe outside again if he lived through COVID. Feels like a mild unease about germs would become crippling in COVID and I don't see how it could go back down to mild again

SpiderChrist

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 17, 2021, 12:28:22 PM
If I can't go to a gig now despite being double vaxxed alongside the rest of the population, when can I go?

You can go to a gig. Nobody is saying you can't. And double-vaxxed alongside the rest of the population? You sure about that?

Anyway - live your life, you be you etc. Like I give a fuck anymore.

JaDanketies

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 17, 2021, 01:10:13 PM
And double-vaxxed alongside the rest of the population? You sure about that?

80% of over-16s as of 10 days ago, don't know what it's at nowadays. Many aeons ago they said a 60% vaccination rate would be enough for herd immunity.

I'm sure some of the remaining % have some illness that prevents them from getting vaxxed and another larger % of the remainder have convinced themselves out of ever getting the vaccine anyway. I'd expect it's not going to get much better than this.

JaDanketies

Billie Marten at Manchester Academy last night. I really enjoyed it. I was on 2cb and bumping ket and the support wasn't right up my street so I wandered about listening to my mp3 player until Billie took the stage. She was better than I expected and just as good as the dingy heavy metal bands I might see in the same venue. Everyone there was so young. Had to download a COVID pass from the NHS website as well as my ticket, but security were far lazier than they used to be at the Academy in terms of trying to find drugs and weapons

The only thing is, when I see extreme metal bands and everyone is screaming along and convulsing, it feels like some great cathartic experience. Billie Marten with her soft voice and acoustic folk was not quite the same as this, although it was stupendous. I'm sure there'll be people crying at the end of Winterfylleth next month.

Also went to Manchester Art Gallery yesterday and felt compelled to wear a mask by sheer force of peer pressure; got one from a Chinese corner store after noticing how good Chinese people were with masks. £10 in Boots and you had to buy 20!

also someone coughed right near me on Market Street

peanutbutter

Bought two tickets to some all nighter Floating Points thing at Corsica Studios in a few weeks, currently have no one to go with but they were only a tenner.

Kankurette

While I love the Manics, tonight's gig really put me off going to larger venues.