Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:46:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Flatley's Blackbird - News!

Started by dr beat, July 08, 2021, 07:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Paging Blue Jam to the thread - Michael Flatley's Blackbird has finally been screened! It opened the Monaco Streaming Film Festival, whatever that is:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/michael-flatley-blackbird-monaco-festival-1235011621/

QuoteFlatley, who wrote and financed the project, also stars in it as retired MI6 operative-turned-Barbados hotelier Victor Blackley. After a familiar agent — and romantic interest — turns up at his establishment, Blackley finds himself subsumed back into his old life, with potentially devastating consequences for millions of people if his mission fails.

Glebe

Blue Jam

Original thread:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=67909.0

Yeeesssssssss.... this could be just the amusing batshit vanity project we all need.

PlanktonSideburns

Blue Jam

Oh hang on...

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianMLloyd/status/1412097158145249280

Looks like the film never showed after it was pulled at the eleventh hour. It's never going to be seen outside Mr Flatley's home cinema is it? :'(

...and Flatley somehow won the Best Actor award despite no-one having seen him act:

https://www.hotpress.com/film-tv/michael-flatley-wins-best-actor-at-monaco-film-festival-22860146

Is The Monaco Streaming Festival... a vanity film festival which Flatley set up so he cold give himself an award? Plenty of critics in that Twitter thread seem to think so and are now wondering who the hell they gave their personal details and registration fee to.

PlanktonSideburns

Noooooo

The Day The Lord Of The Dance Cried

Famous Mortimer

Ah dammit. It was screened, though? (the second article makes reference to the "Grimaldi Forum", which is a real place in Monaco). People have seen this movie, and I want to be one of them.

Blue Jam

No-one on Twitter is admitting to having seen it, no!

Oh well, here's a clip with a nice bit of accent slippage:

https://t.co/VvVYzBzFLm?amp=1

PlanktonSideburns

Reports that they did show it, and everyone in the theatre went insane and killed themselves

The projectionist could smell the blood rising up into the projection booth

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

PlanktonSideburns

You try stopping the cunt dancing playing the flute and shooting someone at the same time while sipping a martini looking at the camera and plugging his old man's drainage firm every other secene

Glebe

phantom_power

Michael Flatley playing a character called Victor Blackley? A retired MI6 operative? Now a Barbados hotelier? Unimaginative vanity project bingo! This sounds like something made by Michael Scott

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 08, 2021, 08:10:00 PM
No-one on Twitter is admitting to having seen it, no!

Oh well, here's a clip with a nice bit of accent slippage:

https://t.co/VvVYzBzFLm?amp=1
There's no Flatley in it, which I was upset by.

Blue Jam

So was I. Couldn't possibly be that he was embarrassed by his performance, could it? He won Best Actor after all...

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 08, 2021, 08:01:35 PM
Ah dammit. It was screened, though? (the second article makes reference to the "Grimaldi Forum", which is a real place in Monaco). People have seen this movie, and I want to be one of them.

To answer this: it seems it was screened at the Grimaldi forum but there were "technical difficulties" which prevented the live stream going out. Bit daft considering this was the opener of a festival with streaming as the USP.

I guess those present were:

A. Michael Flatley and his mates
B. Other peeps who had to sign an NDA promising not to say anything on Twitter
C. Other peeps who all went insane and killed themselves

Quote from: phantom_power on July 09, 2021, 08:37:01 AM
Michael Flatley playing a character called Victor Blackley? A retired MI6 operative? Now a Barbados hotelier? Unimaginative vanity project bingo! This sounds like something made by Michael Scott

https://www.irishpost.com/news/michael-flatley-wins-prestigious-best-actor-award-for-long-awaited-directorial-debut-blackbird-215558

QuoteFlatley told Variety "I am absolutely over the moon with the best actor award. I wanted to make a modern movie reminiscent of old Hollywood. The classics were always entertaining without being excessively violent or complicated."

"We shot the movie in Barbados, Ireland, and London, capturing some of the most cinematically picturesque locations on film, all of which have a special place in my heart," he continued.

Flatley owns property in each of the filming locations.

Filmed it all in his houses/gardens/bit of private beach didn't he?

touchingcloth

Would a retired MI6 operative wear Oxfords, ghillies, or pumps?

Blue Jam

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 09, 2021, 04:01:17 PM
Would a retired MI6 operative wear Oxfords, ghillies, or pumps?

Dancing shoes.

touchingcloth

Love the print on that shirt. Classy.

touchingcloth

dissolute ocelot

That's some shoddy "punched in the face" makeup. Looks like he's woken up with his face in last night's kebab.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 17, 2021, 12:42:10 PM
That's some shoddy "punched in the face" makeup. Looks like he's woken up with his face in last night's kebab.
Bumping after 8 days got me excited that the movie was actually coming out :(

PlanktonSideburns

QuoteMichael Flatley's spy thriller BLACKBIRD opens in Irish cinemas 2nd September 2022.

Written and directed by Michael Flatley

Starring Michael Flatley, Eric Roberts, Patrick Bergin, Nicole Evans, Ian Beattie

BLACKBIRD is the debut feature film from Michael Flatley (Lord of the Dance) in which he also stars as Victor Blackley, an ex-MI6 operative who is pulled back into the world he left when an agent connected to his past turns up to his place of business in Barbados. 

BLACKBIRD was produced by Glen Kirby and Jed Tune (Off Piste, The Pugilist) for Dancelord Pictures and West One Entertainment and co-produced by Five Knight Films (Cardboard Gangsters) and Parachute Film Studios.

SYNOPSIS

An MI6 operative named Victor Blackley turns his back on the agency after his fiancée is killed on a mission gone wrong.  Sometime later, he finds himself as the owner of 'The Blue Moon', a prestigious hotel in Barbados that acts as a safe haven for international criminals to complete under the table dealings.  Though, after years of turning his head to his guest's business, he is pulled back in to the world he left when a former agent connected to his past turns up as part of a small party, who have come to conduct business on his grounds.  What begins as a chance encounter that reignites an old flame quickly becomes a life or death struggle to save not only those closest to him, but also the potential lives of millions throughout the world.

Mister Six

Fantastic. Someone let Red Letter Media know.

Blue Jam

phantom_power

Hmmm, I wonder who is behind Dancelord Pictures, one of the production companies?

Noodle Lizard

I really hope it's properly good and that there is nothing to criticise about it.

That would be far funnier, somehow.

Famous Mortimer

Rolf Lundgren

That's amazing. Was just reading the other day that it was never likely to be released.

He wears not one, but two hats at a jaunty angle!

Butchers Blind

I'm expecting 'certified fresh' and nothing less.