Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Succession season 3

Started by Blue Jam, July 15, 2021, 10:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 24, 2021, 11:29:15 AM(and really, there were some serious sexy vibes between him and Justin Kirk)

I wondered about this too. We know he may be bisexual as he had a bit of a thing with his personal trainer, and we know he is only able to get off if the sex feels a bit depraved and shameful. The girlfriend he only had sex with every six months appears to be long gone, and Gerri's dating, so there's a disgusting sexy vacuum to be filled (as Tom would probably describe it)

Could it be possible that Mencken is a Milo type, or just your common-or-garden repressed homosexual?

Chollis

oh yeah they'll definitely end up fucking (or whatever it is Roman does instead of fucking)

AllisonSays

I think the fash guy will end up being too hot to handle in some way, either because he'll be too unbiddable - kind of signalled in his bit about not needing the old TV networks - or because he'll fuck up his candidacy with a sex scandal or some other kind of scandal. Not unconceivable to see Roman getting caught up in that somehow, especially because he seems to be top boy at the minute and the natural narrative arc of the show seems to be a kind of oscillating hubris-smashing. I don't think they're going to fuck though, for me Roman's a common-or-garden narcissist who basically just wants to jerk off at things a la Louis CK, I don't know that the show's ever presented him as not straight.

In general I thought the 'picking the president' stuff was a bit broad and on-the-nose, especially the kind of arguments between the three archetypal candidates - what is this, the West Wing? I didn't like the writing there at all. But the scenes with Tom and Kendall were brilliant. I still think Tom's got something up his sleeve and the excessive moping about prison is a bit of kabuki theatre to draw people into it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Inspector Norse

chveik

yeah i thought about that briefly when he refused to have sex with shiv

AllisonSays

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 24, 2021, 02:44:55 PMHe's wearing a wire I bet

Great shout, I hope you're right, that would put the cat among the pigeons.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 24, 2021, 02:44:55 PMHe's wearing a wire I bet

Interesting- almost makes me want to go back and see who has said what in front of him recently.

rjd2

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 24, 2021, 12:37:18 PMCould it be possible that Mencken is a Milo type, or just your common-or-garden repressed homosexual?

I Assume the character is based on Josh Hawley who has a similar gimmick going who liberals were freaking out about winning in 2024 which to be fair does seem a very online type vibe as Joe Bloggs probably has no clue who he is.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 23, 2021, 07:29:41 AMI think Greg still very much plays up his naivety in some situations and certainly has an angle, but what I don't get is why they take him along on junkets like the one in this episode. I'm starting to think someone else has a plan for him: someone important thinks or knows Greg will come in handy at some point and don't want him going off on his own.

Logan probably has a soft spot for him because he rejected his Grandfather's ultimatum last season I suppose.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: AllisonSays on November 24, 2021, 04:12:11 PMGreat shout, I hope you're right, that would put the cat among the pigeons.

Yeah, not sure how much I really believe it: the show doesn't tend to go in for big plot twists or hidden surprises like that, but on the other hand it does pay to vary things up a bit, and there've been a few instances where they've not shown what's going on behind the scenes (were Logan and Rhea sleeping together, how did Kendall know Greg had the documents etc).

I definitely get the feeling that Tom's arc is starting to head somewhere, though.

Chollis

they're not actually gonna send Tom to prison, and going over to Ken's sinking ship seems like a worse option, in the long run, than prison. so wire? is possible

EOLAN

Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 25, 2021, 09:27:57 AMYeah, not sure how much I really believe it: the show doesn't tend to go in for big plot twists or hidden surprises like that, but on the other hand it does pay to vary things up a bit, and there've been a few instances where they've not shown what's going on behind the scenes (were Logan and Rhea sleeping together, how did Kendall know Greg had the documents etc).

I definitely get the feeling that Tom's arc is starting to head somewhere, though.

I think Greg confides with Kendall some of the information at Shiv and Tom's wedding just before the crash. A fleeting exchange that totally passes you by in the episode and only takes on significance when included in the 'Previously on Succession' segment a season later.

AllisonSays

I guess it would make sense as well with the hubris-nemesis dynamic - like in Season Two Kendall seems crushed but then blows it all up with the press conference, so maybe Tom being particularly worm-like, pathetic and groveling this season points towards a moment of catharsis somewhere down the line.

TrenterPercenter

Can I just say I am dying to be part of this thread but I don't want to spoil anything for me as I'm only on episode 9 of season 1 and I'm completely in love with this show; it's incredible in so many ways.  I've basically been looking forward to ending work each day and getting in an episode before bed.

If it keeps up what I've seen in season 1 then we've got a real masterpiece on our hands here imo.

poo

chveik

poo

wrec

Curious as to where the Conor arc is going now that his presidential hopes are presumably quashed. Willa is obviously increasingly unhappy with him and the Roy family in general. Can see her dumping him and writing a thinly-veiled play about the Roys, or doing a tell-all book or interview that could be a big plot point.

Incidentally though Alan Ruck is 65 he's recently mentioned the character being "in his 50s" (and remember Logan is 81 or so).

I don't buy the talk of Greg having a secret plan or whatever. I think Ewan nailed it in episode 5 - Greg doesn't take responsibility for himself and just goes for whatever looks like the safest bet or most lucrative option at the time. Even Tom has a go at him being "hoisted aloft by the fascists" (or however he put it) and Greg protests that he was "commandeered". Ewan admits he's complicated (he can be seen as hypocritical) he's dead right that Greg needs to take himself seriously, and taking away the safety net of his inheritance is the best thing for him!

Tom wearing a wire isn't beyond the realms of possibility. In general though we tend to see what the main characters are mulling over. Logan aside, we generally know what they're thinking.

up_the_hampipe

I've spent the past few weeks going through this amazing show for the first time and I'm finally caught up. Obviously too many thoughts to contain in one post for three seasons worth, but I'm excited to join the conversation for upcoming episodes.

Shiv and Tom to #TeamKendall?

A spin off show of Greg and Tom in prison would be great, Greg could accidentally kill the prison kingpin and Tom would be his bitch...

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
At least Kendall didn't try to rap this time
[close]

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
Oh Tom, you are so going to prison
[close]

Blue Jam

Wow. The co-creator of Peep Show sure remembers that a party episode is always a good episode. Think I'll need to watch that one at least three more times to take it all in.

TrenterPercenter

Just about to start Season 2 tonight just waiting for my other half to finish work and I just can't wait; I'm completely obsessed with this program.

up_the_hampipe

Wow, Roman had his Logan moment this week. But he's not a winner in the same way, so I'm thoroughly looking forward to him getting fucked.

Chollis

that was a tough watch, they're all so fucking horrible. Greg and Dascha was nice at least, and i liked the compliment tunnel

Enzo

Kendall going all in on Greg was pretty brutal. Will have to be one hell of a redemption arc for any payoff for Ken.

Mobius

Kendall's party looked like a level from Hitman

Great episode. Roman might win biggest piece of shit this week but it's a close one.

up_the_hampipe

I hope this was Kendall's breakdown boiling point and he can stop being a dickhead and just properly focus now, but history would dictate it's getting worse.

Chollis

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 29, 2021, 10:10:25 PMI hope this was Kendall's breakdown boiling point and he can stop being a dickhead

i hope so, he's been at stratospheric levels of douche this season and i'm not sure how much more i can take

selectivememory

The more I see of this season, the more I think Kendall is just trying to drown out the voice in his head that's telling him to kill himself. Refusing his dad's offer to buy him out for two billion is utterly irrational behaviour. Even if he "wins," whatever that might look like, he's still going to be miserable and lonely.

Roman was especially loathsome this week. Which is saying something coming after the episode where he convinced his dad to support the fascist presidential candidate. Can't imagine he'll be number one boy for too long though.