Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,474
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:45:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Has a book ever changed you?

Started by Thomas, July 26, 2021, 07:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Kankurette on August 07, 2021, 03:27:04 PM
I'm going to get the piss ripped out of me for this, but the Torah.
Not at all. You do you.

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 07, 2021, 12:08:31 AM
On that note, honourable mention to The Hero With a Thousand Faces (or was it The Golden Bough? I always get them mixed up)
Golden Bough, I think. Hero With A Thousand Faces is about construction of stories, Golden Bough is the one about religion. But the one was inspired by the other.

chveik

Quote from: Kankurette on August 09, 2021, 02:17:31 AM
No, I'd say the same if I was Christian and it was the Bible. It's a religion thing, not an antisemitism thing.

i'm quite partial to some parts of the New Testament myself

I read Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm at quite an early age.  They may have helped me grow up into a cynic, along with all the other cumulative shit of my fifty-two years.

All Surrogate

Speaking of Orwell, how could I have forgotten Nineteen Eighty-Four? A really frightening and effective book.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: chveik on August 10, 2021, 04:51:56 PM
i'm quite partial to some parts of the New Testament myself

The intolerant left break cover

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 10, 2021, 08:05:26 PM
I read Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm at quite an early age.  They may have helped me grow up into a cynic, along with all the other cumulative shit of my fifty-two years.

Yep, snap

Once you finish those two you know that regardless of what happens in your own life things won't 'be alright' because of the social and power dynamics those books depict in such an intuitive and relatable way. You sense that they will be with you dragging everything down forever. In some ways they hurt me because I became so much more guarded, but in other dimensions I would probably be dead several times over if it weren't for them.

That said, I wouldn't offer those to most kids to read back-to-back.

Sebastian Cobb

What's seemingly quite depressing is a lot of children now seem to have their childish spirits drummed out of them by overly aspirational schooling and parenting telling them to 'think of your future' from an early age and forging a generation of people who want to be accountants rather than astronauts... compared to that having your child-like spirits ruined by social commentary that tells you the futility of it all is certainly preferable.

Mr_Simnock

there's a lot of posts in this thread which come across like alan partridge trying to impress someone at a party

jobotic

How do you think your posts come across?

"Stupid priests!"

buttgammon

I also couldn't imagine Alan Partridge reading or pretending to read any of the books in this thread. A book that changed him? Presumably Bouncing Back, which taught him a valuable lesson about the publishing industry.

Imagine liking stuff and connecting with it. That's saaaaaad.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 10, 2021, 09:36:46 PM
Yep, snap

Once you finish those two you know that regardless of what happens in your own life things won't 'be alright' because of the social and power dynamics those books depict in such an intuitive and relatable way. You sense that they will be with you dragging everything down forever. In some ways they hurt me because I became so much more guarded, but in other dimensions I would probably be dead several times over if it weren't for them.

That said, I wouldn't offer those to most kids to read back-to-back.
Which is exactly what my school did!