Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:13:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

strange facts about Noel's House Party

Started by willbo, July 30, 2021, 11:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Disturbed to discover there were 'other Blobbies'. It's ​like finding out Father Christmas isn't real (as I did last week, boom boom).

New page twat bah!

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 06, 2021, 04:11:16 PM
I watched that Barrymore thing the other day as well. Really took me back to being palmed off
I always felt sorry for his wife.

Mobius

Been loving your YouTube channel too - can anyone recommend other YouTube's for old telly and nostalgia like that?

Glebe

RE: Michael 'Arthur' Robbins in that Cannon & Ball sketch, he pops up as a butler in The Pink Panther Strikes Again, useless trivia you prolly already knew.

Quote from: Glebe on August 06, 2021, 10:48:39 PM
It's ​like finding out Father Christmas isn't real (as I did last week, boom boom).

Twenty-eight years old you were.

Glebe

willbo

I can't get my head around this whole gunging fetish thing around NHP. I'm a pretty sick guy and usually interested in any strange fetish going around youtube, but I can't into gunging. I always feel stressed watching gunges wondering how they wipe it out of their eyes and if it stings.

purlieu

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 31, 2021, 08:11:17 PM
I don't think there was even a proper costume half the time. I saw a Blobbee a couple of times and it was a weird, flocked costume with the warped head of a preserved flatfish.
There are so many terrible Blobby costumes out there, they make me respect the original a little bit more, strangely.

Quote from: The Ombudsman on August 02, 2021, 11:49:13 AM
I've got the Mr. Blobby single somewhere. Hopefully now a rare collectors item.
It's not, but the accompanying album is. I used to own the album and it's structured as a radio show, with Edmonds and Tony Blackburn interviewing Blobby between the tracks. It's really quite a thing. Tracklist is also worth a look.

The Blobby tie-in stuff was some of the most shameless cash-in bullshit ever. My girlfriend found a Blobby activity book in a charity shop a while ago and it's offensively bad, like it took about ten minutes to make. I think there was a recipe for a Blobby Milkshake which was just milk, ice cream and strawberry syrup or something. No effort put into it at all, the sort of thing Edmonds and the BBC should have been utterly ashamed of making. When I find it again I'll scan it in.

Quote from: franticplanet on August 02, 2021, 05:41:28 PM
There's also this, from his time on Live and Kicking, where they mistakenly cut across to Blobby when he's rehearshing and out of costume (or naked?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2guXWw_NN8
God, I love the utter chaos of things like Live & Kicking and The Big Breakfast, they always felt like the shows were being held together by the enthusiasm of the presenters alone.

Mr Trumpet

My mum made me a Mr Blobby birthday cake one year.

(the year was 2019, I was 46 years old etc etc)

greencalx

Quote from: purlieu on August 08, 2021, 12:14:53 PM
God, I love the utter chaos of things like Live & Kicking and The Big Breakfast, they always felt like the shows were being held together by the enthusiasm of the presenters alone.

I loved the vibe on Going Live as a kid. Have a particularly fond memory of Schofield and co corpsing as Trevor and Simon posed a phone-in quiz question along the lines of "If you were having a crepe at breakfast time, which country would you be in?" with the word "crepe" being very carefully enunciated.

purlieu

Quote from: greencalx on August 08, 2021, 12:40:05 PM
I loved the vibe on Going Live as a kid. Have a particularly fond memory of Schofield and co corpsing as Trevor and Simon posed a phone-in quiz question along the lines of "If you were having a crepe at breakfast time, which country would you be in?" with the word "crepe" being very carefully enunciated.
Yeah, there was a real sense of everybody there enjoying it even more than the people at home. Trev and Simon must be one of the most under-appreciated comedy double acts of the past 30 years, I can imagine it being pretty difficult to be on set with them without corpsing.

Sebastian Cobb

matthew wright seems to get a few phone-in abusers if twitter is to go by, my gut feeling was 'lol, GOOD'.

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on August 08, 2021, 11:22:54 PMI prefer the casual drawl of Matt Bianco's abuser. Didn't someone on here once claim to be him?

Guy on the right looks complete bewildered. Have to admit I've only just found out now that Matt Bianco is a band and not a solo artist.

Captain Z

jenna appleseed

Quote from: The Ombudsman on August 02, 2021, 11:49:13 AM
I went to a the one in Cricket St. Thomas. Was a bit empty, I can only remember some Noddy bit that I thought was odd.

I've got the Mr. Blobby single somewhere. Hopefully now a rare collectors item.

You are me and I claim my five pound (my memories of Blobby St Thomas & mr blobby soap are over in another blobby blobby blobby thread - pos one about theme parks/tourist attractions?)

well apart from owning the Mr Blobby single, even at the time as a Blobby/House party loving teen I thought it was crap)
relistened to to it last year or so and it's actually more interesting now because of how weird it is.

jenna appleseed

Blobby's sleeper programming kicks in and he attempts to get his revenge/complete his true mission

https://twitter.com/Bloops_/status/1420106377427669002

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: non capisco on August 08, 2021, 11:22:54 PM
I prefer the casual drawl of Matt Bianco's abuser. Didn't someone on here once claim to be him?

sproglette, if I remember correctly.

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: jenna appleseed on August 09, 2021, 03:38:30 AM
Blobby's sleeper programming kicks in and he attempts to get his revenge/complete his true mission

Shouldn't that be posted in the 'Up the arse' section?

Quote from: willbo on August 08, 2021, 11:27:41 AM
I can't get my head around this whole gunging fetish thing around NHP. I'm a pretty sick guy and usually interested in any strange fetish going around youtube, but I can't into gunging. I always feel stressed watching gunges wondering how they wipe it out of their eyes and if it stings.

gunge is one of those things that, for some reason, is deemed to be funny.  I don't know anybody that genuinely thinks it is.  Always hated it as a child.

Not sure if actual gunge is allowed now.  The latest gunging that I saw was on a CBeebies programme called Swashbuckle, where the loser pirate has to walk the plank into a pool of slime; but it's obviously CGI and then the actor reappears with some gunge artistically smeared on their head somewhere.  It's health and safety gone mad.

mippy

Remember reading something, maybe a Twitter thread, on how all the NTVs were set-up, as due to the technical limitations of the time it was impossible to do anlive broadcast by stealth. Is this the case? I used to watch each week hoping the people chosen had gone out, or were watching the other side.

Glebe

Quote from: jenna appleseed on August 09, 2021, 03:38:30 AMBlobby's sleeper programming kicks in and he attempts to get his revenge/complete his true mission

There's a new avatar if ever I saw one!

robhug

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 09, 2021, 09:34:08 AM
gunge is one of those things that, for some reason, is deemed to be funny.  I don't know anybody that genuinely thinks it is.  Always hated it as a child.

Not sure if actual gunge is allowed now.  The latest gunging that I saw was on a CBeebies programme called Swashbuckle, where the loser pirate has to walk the plank into a pool of slime; but it's obviously CGI and then the actor reappears with some gunge artistically smeared on their head somewhere.  It's health and safety gone mad.

The great thing about gunge is its non specific what the contents are, so they could say fill it full of piss for someone like Shane Ritchie then change it to perrier water for more agreeable celebrities like Michael Crawford CBE

famethrowa

MojoJojo

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 09, 2021, 09:34:08 AM

I'd noticed that with Swashbuckle too. I suspect it's more a case of being a lot easier to CGI it than H&S. That and pity for the actors, who have clearly suffered enough.

pigamus

Now that really is health and safety gone mad, nobody tell Farage for fuck's sake

notjosh

Quote from: robhug on August 09, 2021, 11:45:36 AM
The great thing about gunge is its non specific what the contents are, so they could say fill it full of piss for someone like Shane Ritchie then change it to perrier water for more agreeable celebrities like Michael Crawford CBE

Or dead fish for Neil Hamilton:
https://youtu.be/vr6TIFSgvX8?t=271

On a similar theme, I also heard once that when Tommy Steele did Singin' in the Rain on the West End, he was so disliked by the stage hands that the 'rain' got increasingly yellow as the run wore on.

greencalx

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 09, 2021, 12:38:29 PM
I'd noticed that with Swashbuckle too. I suspect it's more a case of being a lot easier to CGI it than H&S. That and pity for the actors, who have clearly suffered enough.

I have the world's worst CGI-dar so it took me a while to realise that. However, I think the stuff they are smeared with in the after-shot is real (but I think the same stock footage gets reused a lot). One of the actors didn't do the jump onto the crash-mat for legitimate H&S reasons (something that is blatantly obvious when you see it). I know this because my son was a contestant in Swashbuckle, which means his name appears on a Wikipedia page whilst mine does not.

Quote from: purlieu on August 08, 2021, 12:14:53 PM

The Blobby tie-in stuff was some of the most shameless cash-in bullshit ever. My girlfriend found a Blobby activity book in a charity shop a while ago and it's offensively bad, like it took about ten minutes to make. I think there was a recipe for a Blobby Milkshake which was just milk, ice cream and strawberry syrup or something. No effort put into it at all, the sort of thing Edmonds and the BBC should have been utterly ashamed of making. When I find it again I'll scan it in.

I bring glad tidings!  Someone has already scanned in every page of every book in the Blobby oeuvre.  Yes, really.  'Mr Blobby's Make and Do book' is every bit as bad as you say.  It has frankly scary line drawings of various Blobby family members, and very crap activities.  'Mr Blobby's delicious pudding' requires the reader to make a packet of strawberry Angel Delight and lob some smarties on it.

https://www.mrblobbycollection.com/books

the pudding recipe: https://www.mrblobbycollection.com/books?pgid=jq6urawo-f32cf63d-e34f-45fe-80ff-d13ac4d4dbe7