Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

strange facts about Noel's House Party

Started by willbo, July 30, 2021, 11:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: greencalx on August 09, 2021, 07:49:31 PMOne of the actors didn't do the jump onto the crash-mat for legitimate H&S reasons (something that is blatantly obvious when you see it).
Captain Hey-Ho! I fucking knew it!!!

imitationleather

The Little & Large activity book I bought off eBay years back is far, far superior to that Mr Blobby one.

<squints>.  Oooh.....tricky one this.  Let me see.....

RHX

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 09, 2021, 09:08:24 PM
I bring glad tidings!  Someone has already scanned in every page of every book in the Blobby oeuvre.  Yes, really.  'Mr Blobby's Make and Do book' is every bit as bad as you say.  It has frankly scary line drawings of various Blobby family members, and very crap activities.  'Mr Blobby's delicious pudding' requires the reader to make a packet of strawberry Angel Delight and lob some smarties on it.

https://www.mrblobbycollection.com/books

the pudding recipe: https://www.mrblobbycollection.com/books?pgid=jq6urawo-f32cf63d-e34f-45fe-80ff-d13ac4d4dbe7

Fuck me, that annual is laid out identically to 70s grot rags.

Quote from: RHX on August 09, 2021, 10:21:11 PM
Fuck me, that annual is laid out identically to 70s grot rags.

Wasn't too sure about this page really

'Mr Blobby's delicious pudding' requires the reader to make a packet of strawberry Angel Delight and lob some smarties on it.

the pudding recipe: https://www.mrblobbycollection.com/books?pgid=jq6urawo-f32cf63d-e34f-45fe-80ff-d13ac4d4dbe7

That was so rubbish they withdrew it.  The press covered its removal from the book with the headline 'Mr Blobby pulls his pudding.'

notjosh

This kind of thing is red hot content on American TikTok nowadays:

kalowski

Blobby parading his nubs through the supermarket.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Love the can't be arsed " muddling" on the baked beans can, just spelling the words as someone suffering from a mild form of dyslexia would.

Hugl

Isn't that one of the Fireman Sam boys on top?

Bad Ambassador

TheMonk

Who's pink and doesn't like Mondays?
Blob Geldof

who cares

Quote from: Gradual Decline on August 06, 2021, 08:32:24 PM
Desolation.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 06, 2021, 08:49:16 PM
WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS EYES?

An entertainer has been killed,
And he donates his sight to science,
I'm locked into a private ward,
I realize that I must be-

Looking through Mister Blobby's eyes...

kalowski

He'll take a tumble on you
Roll you like you were dice
Until you come out pink
He's got Mr Blobby eyes

kalowski

Same joke, I know, but I like to conflate the two songs. Can't help it.

Gurke and Hare

All the labels on the foods are anagrammatised but yeah, it's Blobby that's causing trouble.

Nice to think that Blobby could now simply do an online shop and get his groceries delivered safely to his home, instead of causing havoc in his local supermarket.

Of course, there's nothing to then stop him dropping his shopping or kicking the bags over once the driver hands it over, nor to stop him tackling said driver to the ground, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

robhug

Blobby is clearly struggling with his mental health - they wouldn't put him at the coalface of Britain's foremost weekend light entertainment programme in this woke world we currently live in.

peteprodge

Quote from: willbo on August 08, 2021, 11:27:41 AM
I can't get my head around this whole gunging fetish thing around NHP. I'm a pretty sick guy and usually interested in any strange fetish going around youtube, but I can't into gunging. I always feel stressed watching gunges wondering how they wipe it out of their eyes and if it stings.

Right then...

The gunge used by the BBC is made from Natrosol powder, dissolved in water, with colourant added. Natrosol is a thickening agent that's edible and free of any flavour/odour. I know it's used in the sauce of apple pies you can buy in corner shops/service stations, 'cos Noel said so in a Q interview. Technically, this gunge is edible. If you don't add any colouring, then you end up with 'gooey water'.

It isn't actually sticky at all, it can rinse straight out. The more powder you add, the thicker the gunge, and conversely, the less powder, oh you get the idea.

I know this from being part of a Tiswas fan group, and having to set up a public event themed around the show, it was easier/cheaper to use the BBC's recipe rather than the actual food items Tiswas used. (I think it cost about £1 to make a bucket of the stuff, far cheaper than buying in catering cans of beans/custard/mushy peas/whatever.)

Being gunged? Well, it doesn't sting the eyes (unlike 'custard' pies which are usually made with shaving foam). It's a lot like the sensation of accidentally dropping too much shampoo or hair gel on your head. You also get this weird second-long deafness as it goes over you, like being underwater very briefly.

And yes, you can buy Natrosol online from a lot of outfits set up for the gunge fetishists (as well as industrial suppliers of it who typically make it for confectionary producers).

Ah, the fetishists. Well, having been the webmaster of a Tiswas website for about a couple of decades, I can empathise - I've been on the receiving end of "please will u slime me" and "got any clips of Sheena Easton covered in beans?" requests. Most of them are pretty harmless and actually get into the humour of Tiswas, but there's been some jaw-dropping oddness when one bloke in America was pestering a Tiswas star with a very specific request to be custard pied in WHITE jeans. Not yer typical blue, none of that fancy black, no, had to be white jeans. I guess rule 34 doesn't cover everything.

On a purely comedic basis, I'm not a fan of the way it was done on Noel's shows and many other children's telly efforts. I think Tiswas had it right with the organic approach of just hurling a bucket of stuff over someone, whereas if you're sticking a C-list celebrity or a traffic warden who has just lost a phone vote into a perspex booth with all the sirens and klaxons going off after a countdown, then that's automated slapstick. It's the same mechanised punchline every week. Sure, it did look spectacular, but it's very predictable and repetitive.

To my mind, it was only Tiswas and Dick And Dom In Da Bungalow that made gunge fairly amusing.

I still have a soft spot for Double Dare, the gunge-based Going Live game show segment.

Glebe

Been feeling really down today, but that Liz Dawn house party review had me chuckling like crazy.

Sebastian Cobb

I bring glad tidings!  Someone has already scanned in every page of every book in the Blobby oeuvre.  Yes, really.  'Mr Blobby's Make and Do book' is every bit as bad as you say.  It has frankly scary line drawings of various Blobby family members, and very crap activities.  'Mr Blobby's delicious pudding' requires the reader to make a packet of strawberry Angel Delight and lob some smarties on it.

My nan used to make "lurkin' pud" which was as half-arsed as that, but used chopped up fruit, and the angel delight was on top, so you didn't know what was lurkin' underneath.

purlieu

Oh thank God! This is actually worse than I remember. Can't work out if the Blob-One-Out is worse than the Join the Blobs, but the Blob Search, filled with letters in alphabetical order, takes the biscuit.
Also the Pink Drink, which is just yoghurt and blackcurrant juice.

Christ, what a fucking ego you'd have to have to make that and expect people to be happy with it.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: purlieu on August 10, 2021, 08:41:15 PM
Oh thank God! This is actually worse than I remember. Can't work out if the Blob-One-Out is worse than the Join the Blobs, but the Blob Search, filled with letters in alphabetical order, takes the biscuit.
Also the Pink Drink, which is just yoghurt and blackcurrant juice.

Christ, what a fucking ego you'd have to have to make that and expect people to be happy with it.

the whole thing reeks of a 'that'll do' approach.  It's the kind of book that a well-meaning grandparent would buy for a child, because they see it in a bookshop and think, aha, they like Mr Blobby, and they never even so much as look inside.  Shame on BBC Children, they knew they could get away with something half-arsed (quarter-arsed more like) and didn't have any shame about charging £2.50 for that crock.

It's started to stress me out that the artist doesn't even bother getting the spots consistent between Blobby drawings.  One job...

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 10, 2021, 08:55:50 PM
Christ

To "Blob One Out" has just become my new preferred euphemism for masturbation.

imitationleather