Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

strange facts about Noel's House Party

Started by willbo, July 30, 2021, 11:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: notjosh on August 12, 2021, 10:47:52 AM
Both Mr Blobby and the sponge are lying on their backs, whereas the 'back scrubbing brush', ironically, is lying on its front.

I don't want to start a heated debate but how does one tell the difference between the back and the front of a sponge?

Searching for other Blobby merchandise, I just saw this balloon on Amazon.  Don't think the placement of the filling aperture was totally thought through....

The Bumlord

notjosh

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 12, 2021, 10:56:57 AM
I don't want to start a heated debate but how does one tell the difference between the back and the front of a sponge?

It's not hard, they're on completely opposite sides.

Chriddof

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 11, 2021, 09:36:24 PM
Still surprised by St John Peel's involvement in the horrific death crash sequence - was he a regular contributor to the show?

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 11, 2021, 10:41:34 PM
Yes he did a few of the outside broadcasts - a role taken up by Mike Smith in the later series culminating in you know what.

That event was, apparently, the last time Peel had anything to do with Noel. Which isn't surprising considering he almost got killed at one point. I think the weird way Peel tries to play it off can be put down to sheer shock - the way he repeats "Nobody's hurt, nobody's hurt" feels more like he's trying to reassure himself everything's okay. Also there's this comment from Youtube:

Quote from: Youtube commentsI was there on that fateful day back in '83, and was stood next to John Peel - we both jumped backwards down a ditch in order to avoid the car which was coming towards us and I distinctly remember John Peel praying afterwards!

TommyTurnips

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 12, 2021, 11:00:17 AM
Searching for other Blobby merchandise, I just saw this balloon on Amazon.  Don't think the placement of the filling aperture was totally thought through....

Where else is it meant to go, a bit further round the back? You dirty old bollocks.

Quote from: TommyTurnips on August 12, 2021, 02:27:06 PM
Where else is it meant to go, a bit further round the back? You dirty old bollocks.

hmm fair point.   Just ...not there.  Or if they had to put it there, why not make it white, or indeed anything apart from bright pink with a gold tip.

pigamus

gilbertharding

Quote from: Chriddof on August 12, 2021, 12:59:56 PM
That event was, apparently, the last time Peel had anything to do with Noel. Which isn't surprising considering he almost got killed at one point.

I had an idea, from something I read about the incident that Mike Smith also felt as though he'd been thrown under the bus somehow, following the death of Mike Lush.

QuoteI think the weird way Peel tries to play it off can be put down to sheer shock - the way he repeats "Nobody's hurt, nobody's hurt" feels more like he's trying to reassure himself everything's okay.

That's what it sounded like to me, too.

Glebe

poodlefaker

Still surprised that Peel has anything to do with it in the first place. Nole was exactly the sort of person he used to slag off in interviews back then - he'd often mention a fellow R1 DJ who didn't even have a record player at home, which was widely assumed to be Edmonds, iirc.

But I seem to remember he (Peel) started to do TOTP and some advert v/o's at about the same time, so maybe he had bills to pay.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 12, 2021, 06:58:15 PM[Peel would] often mention a fellow R1 DJ who didn't even have a record player at home, which was widely assumed to be Edmonds, iirc.

I always assumed he was talking about Simon Bates there, but I could well be wrong.

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 12, 2021, 06:58:15 PM
Still surprised that Peel has anything to do with it in the first place. Nole was exactly the sort of person he used to slag off in interviews back then - he'd often mention a fellow R1 DJ who didn't even have a record player at home, which was widely assumed to be Edmonds, iirc.

This was a relatively short time before he died, perhaps he decided to just spill the beans

Glebe

NOEL'S HOUSE PARTY - GOTCHA HALL OF FAME (BBC ONE - 30th December 1995).

Rebecca Front involved again in that rather unsettling Jonathan 'him out of Bread' Morris gotcha. Full Su Pollard gotcha here (though be warned, it's not for the faint-hearted!). Just skimmed through the rest of that Pollard episode, but there's a brief glimpse of Ted Bovis, a weird Laugh-In bit with celebrities such as Frank Carson popping out of the scenery - and even an appearance from The Hulkster!

The woman from the Whitely gotcha features in that Rosemarie Ford one too. Lionel Blair acquits himself fairly well in his infamous one!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 12, 2021, 07:14:43 PM
This was a relatively short time before he died, perhaps he decided to just spill the beans

Aha!  So I was wrong!

I guess it's because I rather liked Neol in his breakfast show days (which is roughly when I first heard this) and couldn't conceive that it could be him.

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 12, 2021, 07:14:43 PM

"We had absolutely in common."  Noel must have liked 'em overage, then.

Glebe

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Those "Gotcha"s were clearly staged, with the alleged victim types involved knowing full well what was going on, having been thoroughly briefed in advance. This is especially apparent in the Lionel Blair one, and, by Comer, that stage play what Blair was doing with stalwart fellow thespians Michelle and Dennis looks like a right load of shite.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: pigamus on August 12, 2021, 02:40:24 PM
What does it mean?

Publisher Zero Books's releases are full of grammatical and typing errors for some reason.

Thosworth

Quote from: Glebe on August 12, 2021, 07:35:05 PM
Noel in glory hole bukkake shocker!

• Moving head to attempt an adequate gunging
• <50% gunge contact

I rest my case(s)

poodlefaker

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 12, 2021, 07:30:22 PM
Aha!  So I was wrong!

Yeah, I reckon Simes would've had top of the range hi-fi round his gaff: graphic equalisers, smooth-eject tape decks - the lot. Probably had contacts at Tandy's. Can imagine him lowering the needle-arm onto Rock n Soul Part 1 or Diamond Life with a nice glass of red wine and some dry roasteds.

Glebe

Cannon and Ball - Gotcha Oscar.

Can't believe I never saw this before. My life is complete!

holyzombiejesus

I remember laughing at a Bob Hollness Gotcha when he was part of a radio phone-in programme with an angry wrestler.

Also remember Noel's Sunday afternoon radio programmes when he used to 'prank' people and on one show he pretended to be from The Ibstock Timber Supplier and asked a womens football team if they would have his firm's initials on the front of their shirts. Can remember thinking how stupid it was that he wanted the t from 'the' to be part of the initials.

TheMonk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 13, 2021, 10:56:48 PM
Also remember Noel's Sunday afternoon radio programmes when he used to 'prank' people and on one show he pretended to be from The Ibstock Timber Supplier and asked a womens football team if they would have his firm's initials on the front of their shirts. Can remember thinking how stupid it was that he wanted the t from 'the' to be part of the initials.
Should have gone with South London Untreated Timber Supplier.

pigamus

The having no records thing - I think he said the same thing about DLT as well. 'Anything I like I make a tape and play it in the car', iirc.

Quote from: pigamus on August 14, 2021, 01:28:26 PM
The having no records thing - I think he said the same thing about DLT as well. 'Anything I like I make a tape and play it in the car', iirc.

so he did! (Mr Google having directed me to a very in-depth article about Peel's marvellousness).  Starting to find Peel's judgments of other DJs for their lack of musical paraphernalia at home a bit tedious.  Who says you have to extend your job to your home life anyway?  I'm a teacher and I don't have a load of 14 year olds stashed away in my shed.

greencalx

The book that's quoted there, Simon Garfield's "The Nation's Favourite", is quite a good read and gives an insight into some of the horrors of mass entertainment in the early 90's.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Glebe on August 12, 2021, 07:35:05 PM
Noel in glory hole bukkake shocker!

Don't think much of this latest Junji Ito adaptation.

Glebe