News:

Another big upgrade done, thanks Zetetic!


David Baddiel to tell us about online abuse

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 02, 2021, 05:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyMonster

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 04, 2021, 08:33:17 AM
Who the fucks clamouring for David Baddiel from the 90s to share his opinions about the internet

The BBC,

The left can get smeared again and Starmer warned what will happen if he starts to get any fancy ideas, any criticism of the programme and AS will be shrieked.

Sebastian Cobb

the worst part about it all is not that he can write a load of unqualified bollocks that attacks people, it's that he can write it and the commentariat elevate it to something that has some intrinsic metrit rather than rubbing his nose in it like when a dog has done a mess.

KennyMonster


I know people on here don't like Robin Ince much as a comedy performer but I've enjoyed his range of podcasts over the last few years.

However, I've just logged onto his Cosmic Shambles site to see what extra, exclusive content is available for me, as a Patreon subscriber and have found that an interview with Baddiel is on there, talking about his book.

The interview went up in July on their website so plenty of time for them to realise that his book is a load of ill researched left smearing bollocks.
Rational, scientific thinking is one of their strong points - supposedly.

I'll give it a listen but if he isn't pulled apart for the charlatan he is then it's strike 3 for those guys and I'll be withdrawing my Patreon.

So Is it only Alexei and Mark Thomas left who are genuine?

Sebastian Cobb

I imagine they won't simply because it's not worth the bother getting flak from everyone who has bigged it up. Plus Baddiel has an uncanny ability to twist any criticism of his nonsense and throw it on the 'see this is exactly what I mean!' pile.

phantom_power

I have no massive problem with Baddiel and think he is someone who genuinely believes what he says rather than someone in it for a grift or an angle. I just think for a self-confessed intellectual, he is not very clever. The points he makes are often either muddled or very surface-level

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on August 06, 2021, 01:41:35 PM
I have no massive problem with Baddiel and think he is someone who genuinely believes what he says rather than someone in it for a grift or an angle. I just think for a self-confessed intellectual, he is not very clever. The points he makes are often either muddled or very surface-level

I kind of think his interpretation on whether he deems something antisemitic is kind of fluid, based on people's political standing tbh.

As a fairly fundamental example, he gave Dankula a pass for teaching his dog to salute the phrase 'gas the jews', yet took Corbyn's pronunciation of 'Epstein' to be a coded dig.

phantom_power

Possibly but I don't think it is a conscious effort to further any sort of viewpoint. I think he just has opinions and says them without much thought as to the root of them. Unconscious bias rather than mendacious posturing

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: KennyMonster on August 06, 2021, 10:21:04 AM
I know people on here don't like Robin Ince much as a comedy performer but I've enjoyed his range of podcasts over the last few years.

However, I've just logged onto his Cosmic Shambles site to see what extra, exclusive content is available for me, as a Patreon subscriber and have found that an interview with Baddiel is on there, talking about his book.

The interview went up in July on their website so plenty of time for them to realise that his book is a load of ill researched left smearing bollocks.
Rational, scientific thinking is one of their strong points - supposedly.

I'll give it a listen but if he isn't pulled apart for the charlatan he is then it's strike 3 for those guys and I'll be withdrawing my Patreon.

So Is it only Alexei and Mark Thomas left who are genuine?

Alexei Sayle did loads of advert voiceovers in the eighties, so you might have to continue your whittling down until you're left with an old '78 recording of Leon Trotsky performing an open spot at The Laughing Burrito in 1938.

chveik

witty

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 06, 2021, 01:30:37 PM
I imagine they won't simply because it's not worth the bother getting flak from everyone who has bigged it up. Plus Baddiel has an uncanny ability to twist any criticism of his nonsense and throw it on the 'see this is exactly what I mean!' pile.

i wouldn't be too hard to show him for the hack that he is. blue tickers are going to whine anyway

Sebastian Cobb

it wouldn't but blue ticks tend to fall in line.

tribalfusion

Baddiel is a shameless fraud so even when he touches an important theme, he does so in an opportunistic and shallow manner not to be taken seriously. And of course, it's always in the service of attempting to delegitimize the left.




tribalfusion

Quote from: phantom_power on August 06, 2021, 01:41:35 PM
I have no massive problem with Baddiel and think he is someone who genuinely believes what he says rather than someone in it for a grift or an angle. I just think for a self-confessed intellectual, he is not very clever. The points he makes are often either muddled or very surface-level


It's very hard to imagine anyone seriously believing that the real threat to Jews comes from the left rather than the right. I don't think Baddiel seriously believes this either but it's a convenient prop with which to lash out at the left in the current climate where he is.

As it has become increasingly clear what has happened in Palestine and the left actually has had figures important enough to try and smear again (both in the UK and the US) the ridiculous spectre of the 'anti-Semitic left' has been trotted out.




Johnny Yesno

Quote from: KennyMonster on August 06, 2021, 10:21:04 AM
I know people on here don't like Robin Ince much as a comedy performer but I've enjoyed his range of podcasts over the last few years.

The most recent thing I heard Baddiel on was The Infinite Monkey Cage (In Praise of Flies - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000r36l), in which he admitted that he isn't really interested in flies (10m10s) and clearly hadn't done any preparation, simply using it as a vehicle for his boring anecdotes and shit jokes. The very definition of a privileged wanker.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 08, 2021, 04:31:11 PM
The most recent thing I heard Baddiel on was The Infinite Monkey Cage (In Praise of Flies - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000r36l), in which he admitted that he isn't really interested in flies (10m10s) and clearly hadn't done any preparation, simply using it as a vehicle for his boring anecdotes and shit jokes. The very definition of a privileged wanker.

That sort of privileged laziness is such a pet peeve of mine!

I remember when he was on Hancock-era Room 101 and he'd chosen 'the FA Cup draw' as one of his items. Nick Hancock (who love him or hate him, clearly put a ton of effort into that show) pulled out a piece of paper and said "You've just written 'can't tell if it's really bad or not' for your reasons" and seemed almost genuinely angry with him. Before being (effortfully) funnier than Baddiel would have been about it anyway.

idunnosomename

August 10, 2021, 11:45:54 PM #44 Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 12:08:34 AM by idunnosomename
What the hell happened to Nick Hancock? If anything, I respect him for not becoming a tedious twitter cunt pretending to be a political intellectual like everyone else from back then. except Rory McGrath, who became a creepy sex-pest. Still, at least Rory's not Lee Hurst.

Echo Valley 2-6809

He was a mortgage adviser for a while but returned to stage work not so long ago.

Last seen apologising to Luke Chadwick for some of the comments made about him on TTIAO. So better than David Baddiel again.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 08, 2021, 04:31:11 PM
The most recent thing I heard Baddiel on was The Infinite Monkey Cage (In Praise of Flies - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000r36l), in which he admitted that he isn't really interested in flies (10m10s) and clearly hadn't done any preparation, simply using it as a vehicle for his boring anecdotes and shit jokes. The very definition of a privileged wanker.

On a similar note, I've searched and searched and can't find any evidence for it but I'm certain he went on Charlie Brooker's TV panel show You Have Been Watching and crowdsourced his jokes beforehand. I'm summarising here, but he went on Twitter before filming, asked "What do you guys think about [subject he'd been asked to prepare]?" and then passed the jokes off as his own on the show.

I'm sure people on here rightly kicked off about it but there doesn't seem to be a thread for the series he was on.

Anyone remember that happening?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 08, 2021, 04:31:11 PM
The most recent thing I heard Baddiel on was The Infinite Monkey Cage (In Praise of Flies - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000r36l), in which he admitted that he isn't really interested in flies (10m10s) and clearly hadn't done any preparation, simply using it as a vehicle for his boring anecdotes and shit jokes. The very definition of a privileged wanker.

Is that the very definition of 'privileged wanker'? Being honest enough to admit he "isn't really interested in flies" (outside of hardcore entomologists, who the fuck is "interested in flies"?), or not sufficiently preparing for an appearance on a radio show and repeating old anecdotes (like they all do)? Maybe it was a busy week and David didn't get a chance to do all the unpaid fly research that might have made his appearance more palatable to the people who hate him.

If you had an ideologically driven resentment of Adam Buxton you could say he is the very definition of 'privileged wanker' when he turns up on the comedy Countdown and just reads out YouTube comments in a silly voice instead of creating something new and funny of his own.

idunnosomename

lest us not mention the time on Unplanned in 2003 where they made a whole bit out of David's astonishment that a "blackbird" was actually a species of bird, and not just a "black bird" like a crow.

He was thirty-eight. And he didn't know what a blackbird was. Not sure if they got to the amazing point that the female blackbird isn't even black! Unless she's making fun of Jason Lee, in which case she sellotapes a pineapple to her head.

Endicott

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 11, 2021, 11:09:59 AM
Maybe it was a busy week and David didn't get a chance to do all the unpaid fly research that might have made his appearance more palatable to the people who hate him.

What makes you think his appearance on the show was for free?

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 11, 2021, 11:12:13 AM
lest us not mention the time on Unplanned in 2003 where they made a whole bit out of David's astonishment that a "blackbird" was actually a species of bird, and not just a "black bird" like a crow.

He was thirty-eight. And he didn't know what a blackbird was. Not sure if they got to the amazing point that the female blackbird isn't even black! Unless she's making fun of Jason Lee, in which case she sellotapes a pineapple to her head.

"I presumed people were just talking about a guy called Martin who lived in a house."

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1030023513585930240
Quote
@Baddiel
Replying to
@gilescoren
I got 4 As and then a double first from Cambridge.
👍

idunnosomename

wow he really pulled himself up by his bootstraps after his time at *checks wikipedia* Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School?? is that posh?!?!

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 11, 2021, 11:37:38 AM
wow he really pulled himself up by his bootstraps after his time at *checks wikipedia* Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School?? is that posh?!?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iGl-73QnKU&t=496s

KennyMonster

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 11, 2021, 11:37:38 AM
wow he really pulled himself up by his bootstraps after his time at *checks wikipedia* Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School?? is that posh?!?!



Looks like an everyday inner city comprehensive school to me.

ProvanFan

That school and Buxton's are big quidditch rivals.

gilbertharding

Crucially, Buxton has proved himself to be creative and funny. Baddiel not so much.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Check out Baddiel showing off his big house in the replies under that Coren tweet.

Vulgarity personified. This is a man totally convinced he is self-made and on account of his talents rather than his connections, and a series of total coincidences some would call luck.

mippy

FWIW, my friend went there, is Jewish, and is very pro-Corbyn. And probably knows what a blackbird is.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 11, 2021, 11:12:13 AM
lest us not mention the time on Unplanned in 2003 where they made a whole bit out of David's astonishment that a "blackbird" was actually a species of bird, and not just a "black bird" like a crow.
This looks bad for corvid.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 11, 2021, 05:34:11 AM
On a similar note, I've searched and searched and can't find any evidence for it but I'm certain he went on Charlie Brooker's TV panel show You Have Been Watching and crowdsourced his jokes beforehand. I'm summarising here, but he went on Twitter before filming, asked "What do you guys think about [subject he'd been asked to prepare]?" and then passed the jokes off as his own on the show.

I'm sure people on here rightly kicked off about it but there doesn't seem to be a thread for the series he was on.

Anyone remember that happening?
It's from the third comment in this thread - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23742.0.html