Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:46:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The North Water [TV Show]

Started by Mobius, August 11, 2021, 01:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Just came across this new show. From what I gather it's a drama about horrible grim bastards hunting whales on a ship.

Trailer

Stephen Graham
Peter Mullan
Jack O'Connell
Collin Farrell
few other names

Sounds like it's giving off "The Terror" vibes, which I know a lot of people enjoyed here. Also based off a book, like The Terror.

Looks pretty solid to me, anyone caught it yet?

Twit 2

The book is absolutely outstanding and highly recommended.

Butchers Blind

Think it's being shown on the BBC this autumn.

Mobius

Oh yeah sorry I probably should have mentioned where to watch it!

It's out in America so available via torrents and that, but otherwise yeah it's coming to the Beeb soonish!

Butchers Blind

This starts tonight on BBC2 then all episodes on the iplayer.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's satisfyingly grimy this, isn't it? Not since Deadwood have I seen a television programme in which everyone looks as if they absolutely reek of ordure, semen, sweat and whisky.

I haven't read the book, but it's presumably supposed to be a meditation on violent, toxic masculinity, as represented by a bunch of malodorous booze and drug‐addicted arseholes on a journey into Hell. I enjoyed episode one, it was rather camp and ridiculous (in a good way).

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 10, 2021, 10:06:36 PM
Everyone looks as if they absolutely reek of ordure, semen, sweat and whisky.

A meditation on violent, toxic masculinity, as represented by a bunch of malodorous booze and drug‐addicted arseholes on a journey into Hell. Rather camp and ridiculous.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That does appear to be the BIG SATIRICAL METAPHOR. A bunch of awful corrupt twats literally all at sea. Fun, though.

I loved the Terror so was looking forward to watching this.  I enjoyed it, but couldnt help find myself thinking it had "BBC" production values, espically the bits that where supposed to be Hull.  Anyone else think this, or is it just me?  The Terror seemed much more big budget.

Dex Sawash

On AMC+ in US (america) with free 7 day trail. Semen, sweat and whisky here I cum.
Featuring 3rd favorite skin off Skins, Cook. Is he the cook in this one?

gilbertharding

Saw the first episode on Friday - I don't want to sound like Your Dad, but large parts of this were so dimly lit it might as well have been a radio drama... except that with all the muttering and mumbling, you still wouldn't have known what was going on... except that it was such a small plot stretched over an hour there wasn't really anything much going on anyway.

Dex Sawash

First ep was not holding my attention. Disappointed that Cook from Skins is not the cook on the ship (surgeon).
Also needs more Jared Harris.

Dex Sawash

Got better as it went. When Olaf (or something) said he dreamed everyone dies
Spoiler alert
but Cook from Skins would end up inside a bear
[close]
, knew immediately it would be
Spoiler alert
Taun Taun style
[close]

WhoMe

Just finished ep. 4. 'Kin hell. Still doesn't touch The Terror but certainly worth sticking with.

holyzombiejesus

Not watched this yet but am planning on doing so, not least because the book was brilliant. Think we discussed it when it was longlisted a few years back. Only stuff with this kind of grim boat harbour inn dirty men stuff is how it does seem to blend in to one after a while. There was The Terror, Taboo, this, a couple of other novels I read too. I'm sure there's more. Did anyone see The Luminaries when that was on a while back?

jobotic

Ooh just noticed that the soundtrack is by Tim Hecker

thugler

Just wanted to bump this as I've finally watched it after it appeared on bbc.

Thought it was pretty great, very much the same vibe as the first series of the terror, but willing to go much darker and grimmer. Fantastic performances from Farrell and O'Connell too.

Spoiler alert
The one problem i had was the very end was a little unsatisfying and wrapped up too easily with drax conviniently returning and getting straight too it with the surgeon.

That episode with the freakout scene (and then the bear) was one of the craziest and most effective scenes I've seen on TV, felt very real to me as he was breaking down in the snow and it really took its time over his deterioration. I didn't sleep properly after that! It properly shook me up
[close]

Twit 2

Read the book! I thought the TV show was pretty good, but the book was stonking.

dead-ced-dead

I really liked it, it was grim and nasty, but I have to say, following The Terror only worked to it's detriment. I loved The Terror so much, so now every nautical, Victorian horror lives in its shadow and it's not The North Water's fault for not being my literal best miniseries of the decade.