Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best alternatives to Amazon

Started by wasp_f15ting, August 14, 2021, 07:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

After receiving some really dodgy prints from Amazon (From their print on demand service). I have finally had enough of the bald headed cunt and his empire..

Are there any really good independent book shops that are worth using? - I have seen a couple that appear to be drop shipping companies using amazon as the supplier..
I'd ideally like to get back to using waterstones or blackwells, but thought you fine lot might have a trendier better option!

Alberon

There are a couple of websites that sell from independent booksellers. I don't have the links to hand, but I was searching some titles I was interested in and was surprised to find a few cheaper than Amazon. I'll see what I can dig up when I'm back on my computer.

I will try them when the free Amazon vouchers I got from work run out. I got those because I found and reported a Fire Exit sign that had, rather ironically, caught fire.

bgmnts

For comic books I recently used Teaveling Man and it came within a few days and was decently priced.

Sebastian Cobb

World of Books let you choose a local book shop to donate a small cut to, they also sell used stuff.

Hive is usually around the same price as Amazon and supposedly not bastards.

there's some others here, the site also has a search tool that'll search them all at once:
https://ethicalrevolution.co.uk/amazon-alternatives/#Books

wasp_f15ting

Thanks gents - Hive seems to be very cheap shall give them a go!

Travelingman are brilliant - I love getting my graphic novels from them

Mobbd

I've been using blackwells.co.uk and I like it! Bigger and older than your average "indie" (about 12 UK branches) but they are actual human people so far as I can tell, pay their taxes, give good book, free shipping, and you can go to their shops to say hello in theory.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 15, 2021, 01:51:03 AM
World of Books let you choose a local book shop to donate a small cut to, they also sell used stuff.

I've  not noticed the donation option from WoB, I thought it was only Hive that did that?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: KennyMonster on August 20, 2021, 12:05:56 PM
I've  not noticed the donation option from WoB, I thought it was only Hive that did that?

Yeah I got them mixed up.

jonbob

https://www.abebooks.co.uk is a search for a lot of bookshops, but some of has them might be smaller retailers using Amazon's store front 

Pink Gregory

Quote from: jonbob on August 22, 2021, 05:55:12 AM
https://www.abebooks.co.uk is a search for a lot of bookshops, but some of has them might be smaller retailers using Amazon's store front
I think Amazon actually bought Abebooks a few years ago

GoblinAhFuckScary

tend to get most of my books of ebay. lots of different proper sellers on there

prob last book i bought online was beckett's trilogy, which i can see going for a fiver with free postage atm

Mister Six

If I'm not in a rush, I usually just call up the local indie book shop and put in an order through them. Usually only takes a week, tops, in any case. But I'm lucky to live within walking distance of a book shop, I suppose.

bgmnts

Do they still have libraries? I have a local library in town centre and it's not the best but still had some stuff I wanted to read.

Mobbd

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 22, 2021, 12:34:23 PM
I think Amazon actually bought Abebooks a few years ago

They DID. Amazon owns AbeBooks.

Quote from: bgmnts on August 22, 2021, 01:17:21 PM
Do they still have libraries? I have a local library in town centre and it's not the best but still had some stuff I wanted to read.

Just to respond to some other things people have mentioned, here is my order of priority when wanting a particular book:

1. Public Library (and remember use the catalogue, not the shelf: you can reserve it and have it brought to your local branch if it's somewhere in the wider system).

2. eBay. Because 2nd-hand is cheap and good in so many ways.

3. Blackwells if the book really has to be new or isn't available at either of the above; as said before they are at least a real bookshop run by humans who are paid properly.

I'll go to my local indie maybe, but that's more of an impulse thing if I happen to be nearby or if I'm just really in the mood for book shopping. Blackwells is indie enough for me. (I've had real problems with Hive, btw).

That's my system and it works for me. I never, ever, buy from Amazon. In the unlikely event that Amazon is the only place a book (or anything else) is available, I accept that I can't have it and that's that.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't have a job and I don't have much money at all; but I am not seduced by Amazon's price undercutting. My system (because many of my books are free or a quid) works out cheeeeeap.