Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quake remaster out now.

Started by Cold Meat Platter, August 19, 2021, 07:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Malcy

Well, I need practice. I kept blowing myself up which didn't help! Enjoyed it though so I'll need to jump on again when I'm less tired.

Barry Admin

Fuck me too man, could barely find a fucking weapon on DM1. That guy Phillip on the PC was really good too, and I don't think he ever stopped playing this past 25 years :-D some of those maps were such Proustian rushes for me, amazing to see them again. You forget about the fucking traps people can trip on you and stuff to open the floor.

Think I'll try and turn the FOV right back down again, I can't get turned quick enough. Tempted to buy a cheap keyboard and mouse and get to play with the mouse on the sofa arm or something?

I started remembering about backwards bunny hopping round corners and shit, felt soooo good, not that I'm bunny hopping properly at the minute.

Barry Admin

Playing a bot match to practice, forgot they chatted in the text box and stuff :-)

Yeah, it's the greatest game of all time. I thought it was Quake III Arena, but the singleplayer (which I either forgot or ignored in favour of MP) is astonishing.

And it's just the definitive multiplayer game. It's every game that ever came after it.

For you fucking zoomers reading this, I can't stress how extraordinary it was to dial up on your little modem and play this shit against other people... having to lead your shots  to compensate for the lag... but the speed and the lighting and the fucking particles on the rockets - best weapon ever, and just hovering right in the middle of the screen like a big knob without hands - and the gloom of the maps, and the NiN soundtrack, and the trick jumping, and the fun challenge maps you could rocket jump around, and the fucking endless mods it spawned...

Yeah. Best game of all time.

Malcy

Yeah that's Phillip's aim was pretty good. I ended up resorting to launching grenades and rockets and hoping for the best! At one point I ended up with the invisibility and the 666 health. Got me a few drags until I wiped them out by blowing myself up countless times.

I have vague memories of playing this over LAN in a house share but I'm thinking it might have been Quake 2. Unreal Tournament still my favourite game of this sort though. I'll be taking a look at my settings later and having another go.

Barry Admin

Yeah I saw you discharge your shaft in the water too X-D

Quake 2 was when they introduced the railgun, the second best weapon ever. One hit one kill Instagib matches were insane.

If you want to try what I've come up with, I'm finding it good so far, and loose enough that I can wiggle the right stick to bunny hop. I'm starting to fly around the maps again now, even reliably making the strafe jump to the yellow armour on DM1 without landing in the fucking lava 😅

Y 6
Accel 8
Accel exponent 2.5
Aim smoothing off

Then FOV 120 in display, deadzones as low as possible as you can go without drift.

Jump on the left bumper of course. You can double tap dpad keys to cycle weapons, but really, a keyboard is needed to facilitate the rapid weapon switching between ranges that Quake demands.

Malcy

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 12, 2021, 04:31:47 PM
Yeah I saw you discharge your shaft in the water too X-D

Ha i knew there was something else! I kept forgetting and frantically hitting fire and then thinking shit not again.

I'll give those settings a try, cheers.

Malcy

Finally finished the SP of this. The second from last level was really getting to me and I almost gave up but i kept on at it.

I'd have taken weeks more if I hadn't watched Civvie's Quake video the night before as I had spent a few minutes exhausting ammo and hacking at that thing at the end with the axe. Watched his video on Quake 2 and saw that it didn't really add to the story so glad I didn't try to download it hoping to further the story.

Anyone still at the MP? Not a huge gamer but missing the game a bit.