Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:40:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

That fucking Kayak advert/Sponsors in general

Started by Rev+, August 22, 2021, 02:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

I'm sure whoever the singer is can actually sing, but the woozy, non-committal, just-about-finding-the-melody bollocks of:

I wa na go some where bew ti fil
somewhere bran nu

Either side of a Family Guy ad break that I'm only watching because it's something to put on while doing the washing up.  I'm sure I'd never do business with whatever the fuck Kayak do anyway, but even if I was in the market for going somewhere bew ti fil, I'd have crossed them out and be shopping around.  They've annoyed me too much at this point through sheer repetition.  And we're talking about bumpers on Family Guy here.

I'm not expecting a debate about the effectiveness of advertising here, and what I've described isn't entirely new.  It's just that I had a long break from watching broadcast TV, and having the exact same sponsor advert play four times during a 25 minute show is a bit brain-jangling.  It can only put you off the product or service, right?

Icehaven

I feel your pain. It's even worse if you're watching a double bill (or more if it's weekend repeats of weekday episodes). Watching the 2 Frasier episodes on C4 in the mornings it feels like you see more of that sodding Confused.com couple eating breakfast on their couch than you do of Frasier himself. The animated toast that sponsors The Simpsons was quite cute at first but it still quickly gets repetitive when you see it eight times in one hour.

The Kayak one is particularly annoying though, agreed. Dunno exactly what they do either (presume it's a travel agent), don't intend to find out.

Replies From View

I use an ad blocker on my computer, but when I use my phone to watch anything on YouTube the sheer volume of flow-breaking adverts is obnoxious.

The people behind this scheme are obviously too stupid to hoist in that anything advertised to me in this way is added to a list of things I will never buy.  Still they keep going:  must keep advertising these things to him - it's only a matter of time until he breaks.  Well I only hope it's an insane sum of money you are wasting because you can't go bust soon enough.

dissolute ocelot

The Kayak Family Guy "bumpers" are so illogical. Family Guy should be sponsored by a gambling company that's stealing credit cards from dead people, not some whimsical tourist company. What is Family Guy's audience anyway? 15 year old boys? How many holidays do they buy? Or are they going for drunk people drunkenly booking Caribbean wife-swapping resorts?

These days the ones I mostly see are Sky Mobile sponsoring shows on Sky. You've called your phone company Sky, what more do you want? Anything's better than fucking Fosters on Channel 4 though, do they still do that?

I'm sure it used to be a big thing who was sponsoring Corrie or the X-Factor. And I guess even on ITV Hub or All4 you still get sponsor messages (ad blockers willing) so it's probably still a big thing for TV companies. Fairly sure it's just funded by an international cabal to soften our brains, though.

mothman

When did sponsoring and ad-breaks start? The earliest I can recall are during movies on ITV on Saturday nights circa 1993/4. Diet Coke I think. First off some really annoying little bits about a film set calling "cut" and "action," and then an even more annoying set with a grating piano jingle about a trendy young couple settling down to watch the film...

EDIT:

First set, I think: https://youtu.be/S92Sey5sQSY

Second set: https://youtu.be/3V7L0AozkCg