Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:56:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last CaB post that made you GUFFAW: HAHALLOWEEN III: Shriekin’ of the Witch

Started by The Mollusk, August 23, 2021, 07:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Vitae would be alive or living wouldn't it? I think "vita" is more correct.

New page Latin twat.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 22, 2021, 01:37:32 PMVitae would be alive or living wouldn't it? I think "vita" is more correct.

New page Latin twat.

I studied Latin at school for three years and could never get my head round it.

Cerys

pigamus

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 22, 2021, 03:38:53 PMAn old tag on here once described Adele as "music for thick people's funerals".

I feel bad, but that didn't stop me laughing

touchingcloth

canadagoose

touchingcloth

Given that Lorem ipsum is deliberately Latin-esque gibberish, it's probably most correct for BM's retort to be incorrect Latin. Ahhhhhhhh.

FredNurke

'vita parcensis', so that it's not the life of the park, but life as it relates to the park.

mothman

IsavedLatin

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 22, 2021, 02:00:49 PMPaging @IsavedLatin

Apologies, I'm afraid my handle is a tissue of lies (or rather it's a loving quotation from Wes Anderson's Rushmore, but not a reflection of even the remotest knowledge of Latin on my part).

pancreas

Quote from: FredNurke on November 22, 2021, 05:52:16 PM'vita parcensis', so that it's not the life of the park, but life as it relates to the park.

So I'm outclassed here, just for information.

Ferris

Quote from: canadagoose on November 22, 2021, 05:43:03 PMVita parci / parci vita is what I'd go for.

Wouldn't that be the park's life as it relates to the person speaking?

Quote from: mothman on November 22, 2021, 06:44:30 PM"What's that? 'The Romans, they live in the park?'"

This is all I could think of while writing my initial Latin response (and Cleese doing that "how many Romans?" line).

Johnny Foreigner

Parcus is not classical Latin, but a later borrowing from Germanic. The Romans would have probably said hortus, a garden, since a park is basically a garden.

I should say vita horto (not hortum, since it does not express a motion), or vita hortensis.

touchingcloth

It's like "high life" isn't it? Life is the noun, high or park is the adjective. Park in parklife has been coined as an adjective from the noun, so I reckon both vita parcum and parcum vita would be fine unless you want to use Latin prepositions and use "life of (the) park" or suffixes and do park-y life.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 22, 2021, 10:49:02 PMParcus is not classical Latin, but a later borrowing from Germanic. The Romans would have probably said hortus, a garden, since a park is basically a garden.

Hmm. The word "parque" is used in a few Romance languages having been swapped around the place, so the Latins could have borrowed it back in that form.

Alternatively, "jardim" is used for garden in Portuguese but you see the plural of jardins used in the same sense that in English gardens evokes something landscaped, large, and public, or at least communal.

Vivit horti?

touchingcloth

Seems like "horti botanici" is in common use for botanical gardens, so I'm going to say horti.

FredNurke

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 22, 2021, 10:49:02 PMParcus is not classical Latin, but a later borrowing from Germanic.

This seems unlikely, given the near-total absence of initial /p-/ in Germanic languages.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 22, 2021, 11:04:51 PMSeems like "horti botanici" is in common use for botanical gardens, so I'm going to say horti.

But that would mean the "horti" only as it relates to the second part of the phrase "botanici". Doesn't it? Or does it?

I think hortus vita or parcum vita is the best you can do, but willing to be laughably wrong about that.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 22, 2021, 11:59:21 PMBut that would mean the "horti" only as it relates to the second part of the phrase "botanici". Doesn't it? Or does it?

I think hortus vita or parcum vita is the best you can do, but willing to be laughably wrong about that.

Horti is the plural of the noun hortus, and adjectives in Latin/Romance languages agree in case and gender, meaning botanici horti for botanical gardens rather than a singular botanicus hortus.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 23, 2021, 12:04:36 AMHorti is the plural of the noun hortus, and adjectives in Latin/Romance languages agree in case and gender, meaning botanici horti for botanical gardens rather than a singular botanicus hortus.

PARK LIFE

Johnny Foreigner

Park is related to paddock, i.e. an enclosed piece of land; hence late Latin parcus, adopted from a Frankish word of unknown origin (parrakaz or something) and thence adopted into Old French. Of all Romance languages, French has the most Germanic borrowings. Park probably spread from there into other Romance tongues, as well as Gaelic pàirc.

Jardin and its Romance cognates are ultimately Germanic words, too; this is of the same origin as yard, but yard was an original Anglo-Saxon word, whereas garden entered English via Norman French.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 23, 2021, 12:35:12 AMPark is related to paddock, i.e. an enclosed piece of land; hence late Latin parcus, adopted from a Frankish word of unknown origin (parrakaz or something) and thence adopted into Old French. Of all Romance languages, French has the most Germanic borrowings. Park probably spread from there into other Romance tongues, as well as Gaelic pàirc.

Jardin and its Romance cognates are ultimately Germanic words, too; this is of the same origin as yard, but yard was an original Anglo-Saxon word, whereas garden entered English via Norman French.

AAAAAAAALLLLL THE PEOPLE....

falafel

TOT HOMINES
OMNES PARES
PARES PER
vitam parcum vita hortensis  vivit horti hortum vita vitam suam in parco

touchingcloth

What's the Ancient Greek for Boz Boz, or the Proto-Indo-European for Clarky Cat?

SpiderChrist

Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be
It killed off all the Romans, and now it's killing me