least funny python to make shit documentary not worth watching

Started by madhair60, August 23, 2021, 05:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/documentaries/john-cleese-cancel-culture-channel-4-documentary-newsupdate/

QuoteBritish comedy legend John Cleese will be exploring cancel culture in a new documentary series for Channel 4.

The series – which is to be titled John Cleese: Cancel Me – will see the Monty Python and Fawlty Towers star "explore why a new 'woke' generation is trying to rewrite the rules on what can and can't be said".

Throughout the series, the comedian will talk to a variety of people – including some famous faces who claim to have been 'cancelled' and others who have campaigned against comedians and programmes – to ask if it is possible to create comedy without causing offence.

fuck off forever and now


gilbertharding




Strangely, this is exactly the face I pulled when I heard about this.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

And now on Channel 4, a rich, entitled, out of touch white man tediously droning on about a subject he doesn't understand.


Thursday

Maybe John Cleese should explore "stupid reactionary old cunt that should just fuck off and retire" culture instead.


up_the_hampipe

Urgh! I'm going to watch this though, and so are all of you.

bgmnts

Interestingly, in the Almost the Truth documentary, it was Cleese who apparently had an issue with some jokes and made clear there were some lines in taste and offensiveness, whereas Jones and Gilliam thought there were no sacred cows.

So bit weird. But to be fair at this point if you're old and white and not whinging about pc gone mad are you even an old white cunt?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley


Chollis

shame. used to love John Cleese before i found out he was a cunt

jobotic

Do Channel 4 think this will save them from the Tory culture war?

chveik

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 23, 2021, 05:21:52 PM
Urgh! I'm going to watch this though, and so are all of you.

nah but i'm intrigued which cancelled guests will be in this

Jumblegraws

Cleese has been pretty critical of Malcolm Muggeridge after they clashed over Life of Brian:
QuoteCleese stated that having recently watched the discussion again he "was astonished, first of all, at how stupid [the two members of the Church] were, and how boring the debate became". He added: "I think the sad thing was that there was absolutely no attempt at a proper discussion – no attempt to find any common ground
I find it really difficult to imagine he's never wondered to himself if he's mirrored Muggeridge's transformation into complacent, aging satirist and yet all evidence is to the contrary.

Famous Mortimer

I feel bad for all those cancelled comedians like Louis CK (still touring to good houses); Chris D'Elia (still touring); Jeff Ross (still on TV); Bryan Callen (still touring and doing his podcast), and all those cancelled film people like Woody Allen (still making movies) and Roman Polanski (still making movies). It's almost as if "cancelling" has no power at all, but rich boring old fucks like Cleese won't stop until all we peasants stop expressing any opinion other than "keep feeding us this slop".

Cuellar

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 23, 2021, 05:21:52 PM
Urgh! I'm going to watch this though, and so are all of you.

Absolutely 100% will not watch this, and if I ever do you can kill me.




Chollis


Thursday

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 23, 2021, 05:21:52 PM
Urgh! I'm going to watch this though, and so are all of you.

I'm not. I'll find it very easy not to watch. You don't need to watch shit things just so you can say they're shit. You can just call them shit anyway.

Mr Trumpet

You'd never be allowed to hit a car with a tree branch these days

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Thursday on August 23, 2021, 06:11:51 PM
You don't need to watch shit things just so you can say they're shit.

I do, but it's too late to do anything about that now.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Thursday on August 23, 2021, 06:11:51 PM
I'm not. I'll find it very easy not to watch. You don't need to watch shit things just so you can say they're shit. You can just call them shit anyway.

It's still going to be entertaining to me, even if it's a flawed premise fronted by an out-of-touch former comedian.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 23, 2021, 05:55:49 PM
I feel bad for all those cancelled comedians like Louis CK (still touring to good houses); Chris D'Elia (still touring); Jeff Ross (still on TV); Bryan Callen (still touring and doing his podcast), and all those cancelled film people like Woody Allen (still making movies) and Roman Polanski (still making movies). It's almost as if "cancelling" has no power at all, but rich boring old fucks like Cleese won't stop until all we peasants stop expressing any opinion other than "keep feeding us this slop".

Woah there! I'll have you know Chris D'Elia is NOT still touring. He's just making more money than all of us from his podcast and Patreon.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 23, 2021, 05:21:52 PM
Urgh! I'm going to watch this though, and so are all of you.
I felt like this when Piers Morgan did that The Importance of Being Famous thing the better part of twenty years ago, which I knew was just going to be a gobshite sneering at Z-List reality celebrities. But as bad as rich old gits spouting off was bad then, we're absolutely saturated with it post-Twitter and not only am I bored of the cancel culture discourse, I'm specifically bored of Cleese weighing in on it.

In short, bring back Derek, they don't make bile fascinations like that anymore.

pigamus

Quote from: Thursday on August 23, 2021, 06:11:51 PM
I'm not. I'll find it very easy not to watch. You don't need to watch shit things just so you can say they're shit. You can just call them shit anyway.

There's a difference between shit opinions and a shit programme though. His opinions might be challenged.

JamesTC

Quote from: jobotic on August 23, 2021, 05:37:40 PM
Do Channel 4 think this will save them from the Tory culture war?

I had the same thought. As with the BBC, cosying up the bully will do fuck all.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy


JamesTC

The dead ones haven't told a joke in a while. On account of being dead.

Spiny Norman

Quote from: chveik on August 23, 2021, 05:40:21 PM
nah but i'm intrigued which cancelled guests will be in this
Yes who knows, perhaps there will be absentees present?
Quote from: bgmnts on August 23, 2021, 05:22:14 PM
Interestingly, in the Almost the Truth documentary, it was Cleese who apparently had an issue with some jokes and made clear there were some lines in taste and offensiveness, whereas Jones and Gilliam thought there were no sacred cows.

So bit weird. But to be fair at this point if you're old and white and not whinging about pc gone mad are you even an old white cunt?
There are some clips of Mary Whitehouse online, from the seventies, about a Potter play on television. Speaking for everyone with good taste and common sense, she said it was 90% unsuitable. And she was unanimous in that!

What I'm thinking is: yes there - sometimes - IS sanctimoniousness, but that is nothing new. At best, the targets have changed.