Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Psychonauts 2 is out!

Started by Rev+, August 26, 2021, 03:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

evilcommiedictator

I missed the train back in the day when Psyconauts came out, but yeah, it's at the top end of full priced games here too on Steam, which is very offputting.
It's also not getting a lot of time on Twitch, which is not a great sign either, you'd think with the COVID doing publicity for it would be very simple and easy, it's kinda kept quiet maybe?

Timothy

It's ''free'' on Gamepass. Have it installed and am planning to play it this weekend. The reviews are really good and I loved the first game.

brat-sampson

Playing on game pass. It's amazing. If you liked the original it's a no brainer and I'm not at all shocked it's releasing at the price of a regular big budget game*.

Can't you sub to game pass for like a pound if you haven't had it before? Or get like a month of codes for under £20? If you have a gaming PC/ XBox and don't have game pass you're ripping yourself off buying things at this point.

*Less if we look at the PS5

Jerzy Bondov

Backed this ages ago and forgot about it so it's like having a free game. Perhaps you should do that?

madhair60

This is absolutely brilliant.

bgmnts

Going to play the first one first, already have 2 downloaded as well but want the first experience first. Amazed I missed it back in the day, really.

Rev+

I'm not touching Gamepass with someone else's bargepole, given Microsoft's previous crippling fuck-up in that arena.  I generally play about two or three new releases a year tops, so even with the introductory pricing it's more expensive than buying individual titles.  I'm also aware that the pricing is the result of Microsoft muscling people into Gamepass, as with the similarly overpriced Twelve Minutes.  They don't want anything to be bought by other means.

Good to hear it's good though.

brat-sampson

12 minutes is an Annapurna game, the pricing had nothing to do with Microsoft, and Psychonauts 2 is being priced at the standard rate for a triple-a published PC game, which is less than those on PS5. I'm sure it'll drop relatively quickly when other sellers get keys etc.

Anyway, enough about the price. It's one of the best games of the year for me so far. I love the visual design of basically everything.

Timothy

Quote from: Rev+ on August 27, 2021, 01:46:38 AM
I'm not touching Gamepass with someone else's bargepole, given Microsoft's previous crippling fuck-up in that arena.  I generally play about two or three new releases a year tops, so even with the introductory pricing it's more expensive than buying individual titles.

I've paid 120 euros for three years Gamepass. That's the price of two new games (or 1,5 new PS5 games). Not sure if it's still possible but I bought three years of Xbox Gold cards which all converted into Gamepass Ultimate.

Good to read that the game is so good brat-sampson! Can't wait to play it this weekend. The first one is still one of my all time favorite games ever.

bgmnts

Currently playing the first one now. I would have gone apeshit over this as a kid!

This is an absolutely amazing game! I loved the first one, and this is even better so far (clocked around 6 hours). Colourful (very colourful), funny, great music, inventive and just...joyous to play. If you liked the first one, this is the biggest no-brainer of the year. And if you haven't played PN1, but do have Game Pass, definitely give it a shot.

bgmnts

Just smashed through the first one, very fun and unique and engaging. Some very frustrating platforming but that's to be expected.

Hoping for big things with this one now!

bgmnts

Good god i'm absolutely loving this so far, it does everything a sequel should do, the same and more so and better.

I've heard it's relatively short which I'm always fine with but I hope it's long enough for me to really explore and it's not just revisiting the same levels and collecting stuff. Love it though. It looks gorgeous as well.

brat-sampson

I feel like I'm spending waaay too long hunting down collectables and optional stuff, I'm up to like 8 or 9 hours and I feel I've mostly just been exploring. The open world areas feel massive because they're really dense with things to do and find. The actual Minds I've been in have been consistently great so far, and probably the best part of the game, but it's addictive hunting down cards etc in the real world and there are so many characters to chat with and optional quests to go for. Even if it does turn out to be 'relatively short' in terms of just the main quest, I can see this taking me a while... Good thing it's all fun to do.

Ferris

Is this bastard on PS4 then or what? Never played the OG game, is that a Steam job or can I get that on console and all?

Ferris

Fucking yes lads. Evening sorted.

Cheers all.

Timothy

This game is absolutely awesome. Played a few hours yesterday and am loving it.

brat-sampson

Tips:

There's an accessibility option to make the levitation ball an extension of jump, so you don't need to keep it on your triggers. Sometimes you might want it to go from ball to glide or sth, but for getting around quickly, this option is a lot better. Makes your jump go Jump -> double-jump -> glide -> ball, so just tap 4 times for ball.

I know the heals are single-use and not *that* cheap, but carry a couple. There are some long-ish boss fights and you don't want to die near the end of one because you didn't spend 50 things on a psi-pop. (believe me...)

After a point you unlock the ability to go back to previous brain-worlds at will so hoover up remaining collectables. Often you can't even get everything on the first pass as some stuff is locked behind later abilities.

I encountered what might be a bug where I unlocked a certain box in a brain but went straight into a cutscene and couldn't get the item. When I went back into the brain the box was locked again with no apparent way to re-unlock it, meaning I can't collect everything in that brain. According to a dev tweet, they're aware, and regardless after completing the game, the box should be unlocked by default, so I'm just gonna wait until then.

bgmnts

Haha fucking
Spoiler alert
Jack Black just turned up and sung a sweet ass song!
[close]

I love this game.

Timothy

There are a lot of people walking around with the clairvoyance sign above their heads. But when I use it not much happens. There dont seem to be any collectables or secrets. Am I missing something here?

madhair60

Quote from: Timothy on August 30, 2021, 08:06:17 PM
There are a lot of people walking around with the clairvoyance sign above their heads. But when I use it not much happens. There dont seem to be any collectables or secrets. Am I missing something here?

It's just a fun bit of flavour isn't it? Where you can see how they perceive Raz.

QRDL

Quote from: madhair60 on August 30, 2021, 11:12:39 PM
It's just a fun bit of flavour isn't it? Where you can see how they perceive Raz.

Usually, when do have the eye symbol over their heads there's hidden psitanium somewhere near. Look for light emanating from the ground when seeing through their eyes. It teaches you how to defeat one of the later enemies.

brat-sampson

Sometimes it's just fluff though, like a couple with lovey hearts over them or one guy who seems to just be obsessed with
Spoiler alert
bacon
[close]

Timothy

Quote from: QRDL on August 31, 2021, 06:25:27 AM
Usually, when do have the eye symbol over their heads there's hidden psitanium somewhere near.

Yeah that's what I thought as well because they explained it that way in the tutorial but after that you run straight into the lobby with people with Clairvoyance above their heads but there's nothing to be found.

I will just stop obsessing over the things I don't find.
Spoiler alert
Spend fifteen minutes trying to find out what the secret agent in the cafetaria was talking about for example. Thought I could find a clue for a side mission somewhere. :P
[close]

Timothy

What did you all think of the recap of Psychonauts 1? It's been years since I played the game and sometimes I have no clue what's happening in this game.

brat-sampson

It reminded me that Rhombus of Ruin exists, which almost seems more integrated into the opening of this one but was a VR exclusive :p

I found it a liiiittle hard to keep track of who was who throughout the whole thing, but anything important gets reiterated plenty as you play and there's new stuff to work out and discover as well so overall I think it works fine.

peanutbutter

Having read fuck all about the sequel I'm massively surprised by the reception, was fully expecting a Yooka-Laylee style dated as fuck type thing to come out so never paid any heed to it tbh. Was this a game people had big expectations for or is it generally being received as a bit of surprise that it's actually good?

Timothy

Its a bit annoying that the game doesnt tell you when you need certain abilities before you are able to do a sidequest. Just spend half an hour
Spoiler alert
finding the funghus for Lily
[close]
only to find out its not possible yet.