Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:52:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Dexter

Started by Keebleman, August 26, 2021, 08:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

In school, Peter Cook was his fag.  Cook didn't like him.

"That's where I got my sense of injustice about the world, Ted Dexter.  I was always envious of him because he used to drive an Alfa Romeo.  And he beat me for drinking cider at the Henley Regatta.  Now OK, you weren't allowed to drink cider at the Henley Regatta, so perhaps I deserved to be beaten.  What I thought was a little unfair was that I had just seen him coming out of the pub with a bottle of scotch."

Keebleman

Decades later they reunited - on a pro-celebrity golf show. 

QuotePeter exacted the best possible revenge for his miserable childhood by insisting on being match referee for Dexter's round.  Whenever Dexter - who was a superb golfer and knew it - played a shot, there would be Peter on camera behind him, dressed in knee-length boots, jodhpurs, leather jacket, scarf and gloves with a First World War flying helmet and a riding crop, his cheeks rouged, his mouth lipsticked and his eyes mascara'd from a nearby pensioner's make-up bag, announcing another erratic refereeing decision.

Keebleman

In 1964 he stood for parliament.  He was the Tory candidate in what was then Cardiff SE, a straight two-horse fight against the incumbent: Jim Callaghan. 

The seat was winnable for the Tories and Callaghan would have been a prized scalp, so the choice of the entirely inexperienced (and entirely non-Welsh, although this was a failing he shared with his opponent) Dexter was bizarre.  He was chosen, according to the Conservative's chief agent for Wales, "to appeal to the West Indian vote."  In fairness that quote was given when the guy was in a bar.