Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Animal Collective's upcoming studio album

Started by Tikwid, September 02, 2021, 11:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 22, 2021, 01:44:00 PM

https://aveytare.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-the-mothlight-april-4-2017

This is class, nice one. Most tech-housey I've heard an AC-related thing and I approve.

Will also get my teeth into those Blast sessions later :)

Chedney Honks

Glad you enjoyed it, mate! Good to see you round.

I wish the album had sounded like that, ended up completely different. Such a strange origin and outcome.

Tikwid

New single! An appropriately named Scott Walker tribute:

chutnut

I think I like that more than the first one, but the first one's grown on me too
they've still got a kind of Painting With feel but less annoying

Crenners

I don't think either are particularly strong singles, but it doesn't really seem like a singles album or singles kind of era. I think the album will be great, though. There are a couple of Panda songs which may be on the next album which are in the vein of Walker but stronger melodies. I don't generally love what he writes for AC any more, seems after MPP he keeps all the best stuff for himself.

Tikwid

Crenners

>anco
>good

Best thing they've done in nearly fifteen years, I reckon.

Crenners

Plenty of vinyl copies out there in the wild at this point. Seems a matter of time before this leaks, albeit it's out on Friday so I'll hold off if there's no CD rip.

Crenners

I assume it'll just be me and Tikwid who've heard this (Bazooka where you at bud?) but definitely their best album since MPP for me.

Like a lot of people, I found their band output pretty patchy over the last decade or so, although much of the solo stuff was still brilliant. This is much much more to my tastes, though - itchy rhythms and some great vocal melodies and harmonies which grow on you with each listen. The 'mad noises' also seem to complement the songs really well, heightening different moments like on SJ rather than the less selective, kitchen sink approach which smothered CHz. It's also just more emotive/emotional overall than they've been for a long time.

New single today ahead of Friday's album release, surprisingly. Another catchy and frivolous one, it actually sounds a bit like a PW song but with a full band setup, but also kind of like Lion In A Coma off MPP. The video is great, maybe their best ever.

Definitely one of the lesser tunes for me but works well on the album just before the big closer.

Tikwid

Quote from: Crenners on February 01, 2022, 07:55:55 PMI assume it'll just be me and Tikwid who've heard this
I've actually been abstaining from both the vinyl leak and the WGB official single, and I only gave Strung a few cursory listens - going to hold up until the proper digital release, so I can listen to it all in one go and approach it with as fresh a mindset as possible. I've waited a quarter of a decade (!) for the studio version of these songs already, I can wait a couple days more. (Though I did skim the new music video with the sound off - agreed that it's one of their best on the strength of the visuals alone)

Crenners

I see you've now listened to it and loved it. 😊

I think it's fucking gorgeous, their best since MPP comfortably but actually one of their best recorded albums ever. Just a glorious, spacious sound without shitloads of effects but lots and lots of delicate details.

I am really happy.

Still not got round to giving AC a proper go, but still opened this thread to read some Chedney musings. Did not disappoint.

jonnyunitus

This is such a great album. Maybe recency bias at play but I think this is up there with Feels as their best lp

chutnut

I tried to burn this to cd for a long drive at the weekend, somehow it fucked up and only let me play certain parts of it but I enjoyed what I heard (especially the build-up towards the end of track 6)
I'll hopefully listen all the way through tonight

Bazooka

Quote from: Crenners on February 01, 2022, 07:55:55 PMI assume it'll just be me and Tikwid who've heard this (Bazooka where you at bud?) but definitely their best album since MPP for me.

[equote]

Strangely enough, I just logged in to check the new album reception.After a long hiatus,got back to China after a 23 month(Covid blockage), and had a major alcoholism relapse after 5 year's sober, but fuck it here we are, with Animal Collective still making great music.(Not a self pity statement, I really do hope you are all doing well)

I adored the chaos of of 'Painting With'and 'CHZ'.If there is one lesson, I forget time and time again with this band, is that, despite my affection for them, each new album garness my respect,in a similar way to Low.

I need to listen a few more times..

Bazooka

Quote from: Bazooka on February 08, 2022, 08:53:56 PM
Quote from: Crenners on February 01, 2022, 07:55:55 PMI assume it'll just be me and Tikwid who've heard this (Bazooka where you at bud?) but definitely their best album since MPP for me.

[equote]

Strangely enough, I just logged in to check the new album reception.After a long hiatus,got back to China after a 23 month(Covid blockage), and had a major alcoholism relapse after 5 year's sober, but fuck it here we are, with Animal Collective still making great music.(Not a self pity statement, I really do hope you are all doing well)

I adored the chaos of of 'Painting With'and 'CHZ'.If there is one lesson, I forget time and time again with this band, is that, despite my affection for them, each new album garness my respect,in a similar way to Low.

I need to listen a few more times..

Crenners

Sorry to hear about the piss, mate. Hope that wasn't the impact of being back in China. Glad you're enjoying this one, it's a real grower for me, listening a couple of times a day and loving it. Look after yourself and hope all settles out there.

lipsink

Yeah, I really like this album so far and it's definitely their best since MPP. Still not quite as good as their incredible run of albums from Here Comes The Indian/Ark, Sung Tongs, Feels, Strawberry Jam to MPP. I really have a soft spot for 'Painting With' but Centipede HZ I relistened to recently and just always found it incredibly dull. I pretty much love the rest of their stuff though haven't delved that much into their soundtracks or video albums.

chutnut

Had a few proper listens now and I'm really liking it, although I'm finding I skip Prester John most of the time.
Musically it's probably the blandest thing they've done but it's just really nice and catchy. The 2nd half of Cherokee is still my favourite part

Quote from: chutnut on February 22, 2022, 12:04:55 PMThe 2nd half of Cherokee is still my favourite part

You heard the earlier version? I'm going off the popular youtube compilation where the response part is sung higher which is just in the background high notes on the album. Maybe they got annoyed by it being too easy/catchy but it messes with my head hearing the album version and feeling like it's kept in check against an expectation.

I like this album, especially Prester John and Royal and Desire, which go well together on the album. Enjoyed the Post-Time Skiffs compilation more. Anyone know when it's likely to be recorded/released?

Would have been interested to read Tikwid's review if you're still around.

chutnut

I listened to the version posted in the OP (although I'd forgotten about that until now), the autotune really put me off so I'm glad they got rid of that, I reckon it sounds much better on the album tbf.

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on February 22, 2022, 12:24:54 PMEnjoyed the Post-Time Skiffs compilation more
What is this?

chutnut

Cheers I'll check that out!

Finally got around to listening to that Avey Tare Mothlight set mentioned before as well, enjoyed it a lot. But while listening to What's the Goodside? (album version) again afterwards I realised that the beat is a Theorem sample. Surprised I didn't notice that before and was a bit disappointed tbh. I dunno if that means the other beats on the mothlight set are samples too

Vitalstatistix

I like this album!

Such great relaxed jam vibes, and fucking mint sounding drums and everything else for that matter.

Just some groovy dudes who are damn good at what they do with nothing to prove having a lovely jammy time thank you very much.

Do think Prester John* is head and shoulders best song though, which lends a slight lopsidedness to the listen.

*the bit where the two vocals melodies overlap a couple of times is orgasmic.

chutnut

That's odd I reckon Prester John is easily the weakest track and almost always skip it

The last track is my favourite now probably, feels like something off Sleep Cycle