Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:20:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Started by samadriel, September 04, 2021, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Once again, I seem to be out of step with most people in finding the big CGI fight near the end the least engaging part of a Marvel film.

colacentral

No, I agree with you. Thought they once again had a chance to do a different type of ending with a big practical martial arts sequence and fucked it with another indistinct CGI blob flying around. I genuinely can't even picture what the bad dragon looked like, just a dark shape. I enjoyed it up until they got to that village.

purlieu

Really enjoyed this, absolutely one of the best Marvel origin films. I actually found it zipped along quite well, just light and fun for the most part, decent amount of gags that didn't all rely on the usual Marvel witticisms, not too much angst or heavy going shit, and, until the very end, refreshingly low-stakes. As someone who's never especially bothered by fight scenes as such, I really enjoyed the bus fight. The dragon finale took it into 'random things flying around shooting lights at each other' territory, which was slightly disappointing, but otherwise very good, and a relief after Black Widow which I thought was the worst MCU film by quite a long stretch.

SweetPomPom

This was great up until the bit when his dad died with too much film left, after that its just arial blah. Ended very suddenly too but it had done everything it needed too.
Not enough guardian lion, looked cool but missed a chance to make him a proper character - the slinky dragon too, both should have been in bright carnival colours and more fun.

Blumf

Just watched it. BMW. It was an okay BMW typical Marvel film. Nice bit of Wuxia BMW style martial arts action, but still had all BMW usual beats. So yet another Marvel BMW I'll BMW once and never BMW again. BMW BMW BMW, I'll give it BMW/10

BMW

Famous Mortimer

I just watched it, and...it was fine.

When Benedict Wong showed up at the beginning, I was a bit "maybe he should be moderately interested in this supernaturally-powered dark web fight club, not just as a competitor. Also, why the fuck is he competing?"

Liked Awkwafina and the surprise guest star, liked the CGI animals, but I just wasn't feeling it. Maybe it's the shared Marvel thing, and how none of the big hitters were aware of the actual Ten Rings despite there being a thousand-year-old man not exactly hiding himself with them.

Also, didn't they do
Spoiler alert
"nice family member takes over bad guy empire"
[close]
in one of the TV series last year?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: lipsink on October 05, 2021, 06:38:05 PMYeah I liked this. The bus fight was thrilling
It was pretty good, but I'd compare it unfavourably to the subway scene in "Ninja" (early Scott Adkins movie) despite it being made for about one-thousandth the budget.