Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pavement tour

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, September 09, 2021, 10:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://pavementband.com/#tour

Anyone going? There seems to be a consensus that their last reunion shows a decade ago were pretty ropey, but I saw them at ATP and thought they were magnificent. Think I watched the encore from Burger King actually.

peanutbutter

From what I gathered the last tours shows were extremely dependent on how arsed Malkmus was, and he wasn't that arsed most nights.

Ah, I must've caught him on a good night then. I suppose if you're playing at a festival you've curated then you're more likely to be on a high (unless Barry Hogan's just told you he can't afford to pay you).

Though as much as I like Malkmus's solo/Jicks records, I've always found his solo gigs a pretty miserable experience.

sardines

They were excellent at a non-descript belgian festival
+ they were in the same elevator as me when i went back to the hotel. At which point they asked me to join them on a riotous night of drink and drugs i waited until we reached my floor before shuffling out and mumbling great show
Christ that tour was already 11 years ago.

PaulTMA

Malkmus appeared to be in a shite mood the one time I saw them on the last tour, but others told me the Brixton gigs were amazing, so dunno really. The other four looked absolutely delighted to be doing it.  I saw something on his message board about supposedly his pedals got lost by the airline and had to buy new ones in a hurry.  Then again a lot of bollocks gets written online

I have a hunch he'll be more up for it this time.  Shall see

Famous Mortimer

I saw them touring "Wowee Zowee" whenever that was (95 or 96, I suppose) and had a great time, although that was pretty much the end of Malkmus doing anything that I found interesting (I know a lot of people like his stuff with The Jicks on here, but I never got on with any of it). "Slanted And Enchanted" and "Westing (By Musket And Sextant)" are both absolutely incredible, though, top level all-time stuff.

Comparing this to a band of a similar-ish vintage, Dinosaur Jr, their reformed lineup (which just cancelled their gig down the road from me) feels completely different. Like, they want to do it, and want to keep making new music. Lou Barlow still knocks out brilliant stuff on his own, and the new D Jr albums are as good as their old ones for me.

sutin

Charmless, tuneless chancer band.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sutin on September 09, 2021, 04:30:31 PM
Charmless, tuneless chancer band.

How are they chancers? Or charmless? Or tuneless for that matter? Maybe the two main songwriters don't give the best impressions of themselves but they've written some gorgeous tunes, Ibold and Nastanovich in particular are a great bunch of lads and, oh, you're just wrong wrong wrong.

sutin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 10, 2021, 12:39:57 PM
How are they chancers? Or charmless? Or tuneless for that matter? Maybe the two main songwriters don't give the best impressions of themselves but they've written some gorgeous tunes, Ibold and Nastanovich in particular are a great bunch of lads and, oh, you're just wrong wrong wrong.

I only know who Malkmus is and he's a smug little tit. I know one of them was the guy who joined Sonic Youth after Jim O'Rourke left but I neither remember his name or have any thoughts on him whatsoever.

'Gorgeous tunes'?! Is that code for 'the same note over and over again with an unbearably smug-sounding man just saying stuff on top of it'? Beautiful stuff!

holyzombiejesus

So "they" are tuneless, charmless chancers even though you admit to only really knowing who one of them are? Range Life, Harness Your Hopes, AT & T, Zurich is Stained, We Can Dance, Cut Your Hair, Shady Lane, Starlings of the Slipstream, Gold Soundz, Summer Babe, Here, We Dance, I Love Perth: all lovely, poppy, tuneful, relatively trad indie pop songs.

peanutbutter

Primus are a horrible load of unlistenable old wank, aren't they?

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, and as for The Field Mice and The Pastels[nb]I like The Field Mice and The Pastels[/nb]... Bleeuurrggh!

sutin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 10, 2021, 04:02:28 PM
So "they" are tuneless, charmless chancers even though you admit to only really knowing who one of them are? Range Life, Harness Your Hopes, AT & T, Zurich is Stained, We Can Dance, Cut Your Hair, Shady Lane, Starlings of the Slipstream, Gold Soundz, Summer Babe, Here, We Dance, I Love Perth: all lovely, poppy, tuneful, relatively trad indie pop songs.

Yes, why do I have to know their damn names to have found them utterly charmless for decades? I remember some cunt was called Mr. Spiral Staircase or something similarly annoying. Smug as all balls.

Gold Sounds (fuck the 'z') sounds like the same note the whole way through. No melody at all. And the lyric about the chorus coming up makes me wanna pull all my hair out.

I used to own Slanted & Enchanted and used to play it a lot in an attempt to be a fan of this horrible band. I remember the first song was Summer Babe but it was so tuneless, forgettable and pointless I remember nothing about it at all.

Cut Your Hair is one of the most annoying novelty records of the '90s, but i'll concede that it's one of the few songs of theirs that's memorable at all.

Shady Lane is beautiful, one of the best singles of the '90s. Maybe someone wrote it for them?

Range Life isn't bad in a sleepy, relaxing kinda way. Not a song I could get excited about though.

I used to own a deluxe version of Wowee Zowee with 2 CDs!! Did anyone make it onto the second disc of that?? Utter desolation. The original album sounds like it was 'written' 10 minutes before it was 'recorded'!

Yeah, I don't like this band and they seem to live rent-free in my head. I need some fresh air.

sutin

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 10, 2021, 04:48:53 PM
Primus are a horrible load of unlistenable old wank, aren't they?

I imagine they are for most people, but at least Les Claypool understands dynamics.

Goldentony

I dont care about Pavement but you need to change a Primus avatar before you can cut about shite talking any other music, it's fucking abhorrent

sutin

Nah, I like Primus and that album cover.

Goldentony

it's a fucking nightmare, sorry mate

Goldentony

id honestly have assumed having a primus avatar while you're chatting shite about liteally any other music is a troll move, Dream Theatre or the skullet bellend i'd have thought twice and gone hmm maybe sincere but Primus I dunno, are you typing through clown gloves

sutin

Don't be sorry, they're difficult listening for a lot of people. Pavement are difficult listening for me.

Goldentony

I honestly hope all of Primus get polio

sutin

Quote from: Goldentony on September 10, 2021, 06:45:38 PM
id honestly have assumed having a primus avatar while you're chatting shite about liteally any other music is a troll move, Dream Theatre or the skullet bellend i'd have thought twice and gone hmm maybe sincere but Primus I dunno, are you typing through clown gloves

What does this mean? I don't know what a dream theatre or the skullet bellend are.

sutin

Quote from: Goldentony on September 10, 2021, 06:46:10 PM
I honestly hope all of Primus get polio

Ah, come on, everyone likes Les Claypool. He's a nice and funny man who likes fishing and slapping bass.

Goldentony

fuck primus and fuck the stupid cunt on bass

sutin

I mean, it's not like he's called Mr. Spiral Staircase and sings about haircuts.

chveik

fake carnaval music made by cheese addicts. a difficult listen indeed

PlanktonSideburns

Couldn't get any venues eh?

peanutbutter

Quote from: sutin on September 10, 2021, 06:46:48 PM
What does this mean? I don't know what a dream theatre or the skullet bellend are.
My instant reaction was to think it was a troll move tbh. Primus way way back in web 1.0 days had a fanbase that were very vocally quite elitist whilst listening to some horrific shite themselves.

Dream Theatre did back then and still very much do, but they're in a little bubble of their own so as a troll move it'd perhaps be an overly niche and/or obvious choice.

willbo

I'm gonna say the same thing I say on every Pavement thread. I hear the song that goes "when I need a friend it's still you" on bbc radio once. And that is all I have heard of them, but I liked it.

sutin

I had to google Dream Theatre, not familar with them at all. Doesn't sound like my thing.

I was a Primus fan in the late '90s but never got involved on the Bull Board etc. It was all a bit annoying, I just liked their records. I never really got on with most of the stuff they got grouped with either, except Faith No More/Mr. Bungle. I feel the same way about They Might Be Giants. I love TMBG but their fans also like all this unbearably dorky stuff like Barenaked Ladies and Jonathan Coulton. Ugh.